aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

CapnNismo wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Learning a language and how easy it will be depends on quite a few things.

1) Talents always helps. Some people are just better at picking up a new language. Maybe Camm's girlfriend is, so if it might no be as easy as you think to teach yourself Spanish even though a Scot could do it.

2) The language you already speak, and the one you want to learn. You can divide most popular languages (the one your most likely interested in) roughly into 2 groups (3 if your interested in asian languages). Those of Germanic descend and those of Mediterranean (Roman) languages.
If you already know 1 out of both groups (since you know English that would be Germanic although English is tricky) you should learn one from that group since it will be plain easier. More grammar and vocabulary in common. Although if youre a native English speaker it might be a bit trickier because English isnt as Germanic as, say, German, Dutch or Danish.

3) It has to be practical. If its not practical and just a novelty you'll never use it outside of you room or class and you'll never learn it properly (its what happened to my German and French). So either make sure you have a use for it, or a practise partner.

Learning more of a language than just saying 'Hi how are you?' and 'I am from ...' is harder than you might think.
This

I personally found German quite easy for the most part, but that might have something to do with the fact that I was living in Austria at the time. I was forced to learn it just to get by. That being said, the language itself wasn't a terribly difficult one coming from English to German. At the same time if you can speak English and German, you can understand A LOT of Dutch. I remember watching TV in the Netherlands and actually understanding a great deal of what was being said, was a very cool experience. If you know Spanish, I imagine the same is when you listen to Italian or vice versa.

My recommendation when learning a language: perfection should not be your goal at the beginning. Certainly you should be able to know the basics perfectly when you're writing something, but when you are actually conversing with someone, I would say don't focus on your grammar so much but rather focus on being understood. If people understand what you're talking about, then you can begin working on the grammar and cleaning up the language. If you can't even string a sentence together because your vocabulary is so poor, however, then you can be using perfect grammar and still no one will understand what you're on about.
If you learn french or italian or spanish, you can understand the main concept of a phrase in either of those languages, that helps a lot.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4864|Amsterdam

aerodynamic wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Learning a language and how easy it will be depends on quite a few things.

1) Talents always helps. Some people are just better at picking up a new language. Maybe Camm's girlfriend is, so if it might no be as easy as you think to teach yourself Spanish even though a Scot could do it.

2) The language you already speak, and the one you want to learn. You can divide most popular languages (the one your most likely interested in) roughly into 2 groups (3 if your interested in asian languages). Those of Germanic descend and those of Mediterranean (Roman) languages.
If you already know 1 out of both groups (since you know English that would be Germanic although English is tricky) you should learn one from that group since it will be plain easier. More grammar and vocabulary in common. Although if youre a native English speaker it might be a bit trickier because English isnt as Germanic as, say, German, Dutch or Danish.

3) It has to be practical. If its not practical and just a novelty you'll never use it outside of you room or class and you'll never learn it properly (its what happened to my German and French). So either make sure you have a use for it, or a practise partner.

Learning more of a language than just saying 'Hi how are you?' and 'I am from ...' is harder than you might think.
This

I personally found German quite easy for the most part, but that might have something to do with the fact that I was living in Austria at the time. I was forced to learn it just to get by. That being said, the language itself wasn't a terribly difficult one coming from English to German. At the same time if you can speak English and German, you can understand A LOT of Dutch. I remember watching TV in the Netherlands and actually understanding a great deal of what was being said, was a very cool experience. If you know Spanish, I imagine the same is when you listen to Italian or vice versa.

My recommendation when learning a language: perfection should not be your goal at the beginning. Certainly you should be able to know the basics perfectly when you're writing something, but when you are actually conversing with someone, I would say don't focus on your grammar so much but rather focus on being understood. If people understand what you're talking about, then you can begin working on the grammar and cleaning up the language. If you can't even string a sentence together because your vocabulary is so poor, however, then you can be using perfect grammar and still no one will understand what you're on about.
If you learn french or italian or spanish, you can understand the main concept of a phrase in either of those languages, that helps a lot.
Thats what i mean by those 2 groups. They share a lot of grammar and vocabulary. I personally think germanic languages are easier to learn because, well, i am a native speaker of one and even if you know a roman language, germanic languages use a lot of words from it so the vocabulary-gap wont be too big.

If i were you i would go for spanish. Although it contradicts everything i just said, it is the only language you will use in daily life (besides english ofc) and good practise overrules pretty much all the other things ive said
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma
Never go for italian, useless language that is spoken exclusivley in italy, which is a shitty country.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4864|Amsterdam

aerodynamic wrote:

Never go for italian, useless language that is spoken exclusivley in italy, which is a shitty country.
also spoken in switzerland
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6245|Escea

Want to learn Russian.

So I know what they're plotting
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

which is a shitty country.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
jsnipy
+3,276|6544|...

13urnzz wrote:

Camm wrote:

My girlfriend did quite a bit of self teaching spanish
your girlfriend is a genius, to go from scottish to spanish
unlike Zimmer, who went the opposite direction
gurdeep
­
+812|4777|proll­y
tengo un gato en mis pantalones
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4864|Amsterdam

DUnlimited wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Have you ever even been there?
Benzin
+576|6020
aerodynamic LIVES in Italy... What do you think "Roma" is?
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

spoken in the italian part of swiss, Ticino.
But most of them are ashamed to speak Italian, because the other parts of Swiss call them inferior.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4864|Amsterdam

aerodynamic wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

But most of them are ashamed to speak Italian, because the other parts of Swiss call them inferior.
true.
Youre better off speaking french and/or german there.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
how could anybody swiss call anybody else inferior?
Tu Stultus Es
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

eleven bravo wrote:

how could anybody swiss call anybody else inferior?
Anybody is allowed to call Italians inferior. They should call them inferior.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5281|foggy bottom
https://warandgame.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/juliuscaesar.jpg
Tu Stultus Es
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

true.
Youre better off speaking french and/or german there.
I mostly try to speak French there, but sometimes Italian words would come out of me automatically, because in the end its like being in Italy.

Bravo, you should try living in Italy, then you will see.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2012-01-15 08:59:50)

rdx-fx
+955|6613
Anyone know of a good book covering the various differences in the main German dialects in Europe?

Seven different ways to "properly" pronounce "Ich" in the four main German speaking European countries.

And that's not even counting the Swiss and their apparent program of "Well, every family has their own traditional interpretation of the language..."
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6693|UK
how good is your cantonese/mandarin Goatpuncher
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

Kampframmer wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

It has spawned shifty so it cant be all that good
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Benzin
+576|6020

rdx-fx wrote:

Anyone know of a good book covering the various differences in the main German dialects in Europe?

Seven different ways to "properly" pronounce "Ich" in the four main German speaking European countries.

And that's not even counting the Swiss and their apparent program of "Well, every family has their own traditional interpretation of the language..."
You only find large differences in pronunciation in Austria. Bavarian German is like in Austria but within the rest of Germany you don't have fluctuations in dialect like you do in Austria or Switzerland. Focus on normal "High German"and you'll be fine, only after you've lived in the country will you learn the dialect, it's not something that you can learn from a book, trust me.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6365

CapnNismo wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

You only find large differences in pronunciation in Austria. Bavarian German is like in Austria but within the rest of Germany you don't have fluctuations in dialect like you do in Austria or Switzerland. Focus on normal "High German"and you'll be fine, only after you've lived in the country will you learn the dialect, it's not something that you can learn from a book, trust me.
Not entirely true. There are several dialects, some of them with huge differences. Berlinerisch, saxon, that weird shit they speak in the "ländle"/baden-würthemberg to name a few. If you speak proper German you shouldn´t have trouble though.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Benzin
+576|6020
Sorry Sisco, but my cousin's from Berlin and I live in Vienna and as far as I'm concerned, the Berliners speak a language that is light years closer to High German than what comes out of the mouth of a typical Wiener.

In Germany, you have a situation more similar to the United States in terms of different regional dialects. In the US, the accent is what changes the most just like in Germany, then you have a words that one region uses that another doesn't or the meanings are slightly off. In Austria, you have entirely different languages, similar to Swiss German versus High German, where entire words are spoken so radically differently and certain words exist in one Austrian dialect but not in another. The differences are truly far greater between provinces in Austria than they are in Germany - it baffled me for the first few years when I moved here...

Last edited by CapnNismo (2012-01-15 12:29:01)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6693|UK
ich bin ein berliner
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Benzin
+576|6020

m3thod wrote:

ich bin ein berliner
des glaub i oba ned
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4864|Amsterdam

DUnlimited wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

It has spawned shifty so it cant be all that good
As long as youre white its a great country.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard