Commie Killer
+192|6387
I'm considering building a new PC. I haven't payed any attention to technology since I built my last one so I really don't know what I'm looking for parts wise.

I spent around 1200$ on my old rig (I believe I don't really know). I'm pretty sure I'd like to just give it to my brother. I was considering pulling out all the hardware and reusing the case and PSU but I probably won't.

EDIT: I spent 1700something according to my old receipt from newegg. Thats probably out of range unless its really justifiable. I could probably swing 1500.

Regarding what I'm looking for... my old PC still is doing well and I believe it is because I spent the money up front. I don't want to be cheap and have to build a new one in another couple years, I like to get 4 years outta them (which this one is at 3 years, 10 months).

My budget is about the same, it has a little flexibility, but generally around 1200 USD. I'm probably going to want to include a new monitor in that (current one is 1680x1050 which is what I'm looking for, don't know what that translates to in inches).

I can figure out most of it, I just need some info on what CPU, GPU, and RAM I should be looking for. Are we still using DDR2 RAM or something else now? Still quad core processors like my Q6600? I know GPU's have changed, my 8800 512 is probably the most dated part of my rig. I'd like to play games like BF3 maxed out if possible. IS that possible with my budget?

What operating system? I have Vista on this one, I never really had a problem with it. Have W7 on my lap top, same thing. I have a installation CD for Vista, should I use that on my new rig?

Is there newer hardware coming out soon that I should wait for? Like a new generation?

On a side note... anyone know if its possible to log into the same Steam account on two different PC's at the same time? And then play games?

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-22 12:37:16)

SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
wasn't it you who put thermal past on the cpu socket?

* lol yep.  Don't do this http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=90209

i52500k
after market cooler of your choice
Asus Z68 pro or P6T
60-120GB SSD for OS\Games
8GB DDR3 1600mhz of your choosing
560ti (the new one that just came out)
Windows 7 (dx11 support)
Monitor of your choosing, preferably 22"+ 1920 x 1080 native
650w PSU

You can probably reuse the PSU and case... Assuming you dont hate them or your PSU is under powered...

No you cannot login to a steam account simultaneously on different machines\IP's

Last edited by SonderKommando (2011-11-22 12:52:49)

FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Dohoho the legend returns
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FloppY_
­

SonderKommando wrote:

No you cannot login to a steam account simultaneously on different machines\IP's
Technically he can play singleplayer games in offline mode on both at the same time, non-steamworks games even run multiplayer in offline mode afaik...
SonderKommando

FloppY_ wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Technically he can play singleplayer games in offline mode on both at the same time, non-steamworks games even run multiplayer in offline mode afaik...
Forgot about offline mode.  I just now that when I access my steam account at work it logs me off at home.  Anywho, thanks for pointing it out, flops.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
https://i.imgur.com/1nDOE.png
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
FloppY_
­

Beduin wrote:

4GB ram?
Commie Killer
+192|6387

SonderKommando wrote:

i52500k
Asus Z68 pro or P6T
Windows 7 (dx11 support)
650w PSU

You can probably reuse the PSU and case... Assuming you dont hate them or your PSU is under powered...

Beduin wrote:

Thank you for both of these. I'm really amazed at how much prices have dropped, RAM especially.

My case and PSU are great but I think I'll keep it together, In all honesty he needs a new PC (2 year old 800$ Dell which sucks ass, out of curiosity could I get any money selling something like that on eBay?)

I'm on newegg and I'm going to try to put a list together, post it here so you guys can check and make sure I didn't screw it up somehow.

Am I better off waiting until Good Friday to buy a computer? Sales and what not on newegg?

And yes I'll try to be more careful with the thermal paste this time, but I'll probably fuck something else up instead...
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
https://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z43/howdoulikemen0w/bf2scommie.png

tbh

You would also want to add a ~1TB hard drive to that, but they are ridiculously expensive at the moment because of flooding in Thailand, so if you've got a spare one or can go without one for a while you could save yourself ~$100. You would also need to add a DVD drive, but again you might have one lying around; if not they're only like $20.

E: The build Beduin posted is nice, but considering the budget I wouldn't be spending that much on the Case and PSU etc while skimping on the video card.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-11-22 13:23:14)

FloppY_
­
Isn't the Nvidia 6xx series and AMD 7xxx series just around the corner?
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Looking at 8GB of RAM. Am I better off with 2 x 4GB or 4 x 2GB?

Sticking with the small HD, buying another one once prices goes down.

I went with the 560 ti and a i5 processor.

Don't really give a damn about the case. I just want it to hold stuff together, prefer a couple usb ports on the front and I'm happy.

Now that I went with the i5, should I spend a few extra bucks and go with a i7? I don't want to have to replace it down the road.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-22 13:31:16)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

Commie Killer wrote:

Better off with 2x4GB. Leave room for upgrade and it's always preferable not to fill your dimms up straight away.

Yeah AMD 7xxx series is coming up pretty soon, which is probably worth waiting for if you can. Nvidia 6xx series has been delayed so the wait for that might be a bit long tbh...

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-11-22 13:28:19)

FloppY_
­

Commie Killer wrote:

In case you ever need more, less sticks would be better, however there should be a slight performance increase when you spread it over more slots... not sure it's noticeable tho'...
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Edited my above post.

Going with 2 sticks of 4 Gb

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-22 13:33:13)

Commie Killer
+192|6387
Should I get a sound card? I know I noticed a big different between hardware and software...
SonderKommando

Commie Killer wrote:

Should I get a sound card? I know I noticed a big different between hardware and software...
I haven't used one in years.  I actually use the LPCM output over HDMI from my video card into an AMP... so it kinda depends on your speakers\audio solution.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Set of 40$ headphones... Skipping it.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
You aren't going to see much real difference in gaming with the i7 over the i5. Sure, if you're planning on keeping the computer for a long time you might see some benefit in a few years. But at the moment, for gaming the i7 isn't really worth the money over the i5.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

You can see in this link that in the encoding/loading etc benchmarks the i7 performs better, but if you look at the game benchmarks the i5 and i7 are very similar. Whether that's worth the extra $100 is up to you.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Hmm. Ok. I plan on getting 4-6 out of. Who knows if I'll still be gaming then. Anyways how am I supposed to post my list up here once I'm done?
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Decided after adding everything up that I'm too poor to give this one to my bro. Reusing case, PSU, and monitor...
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
Mind if I hijack your thread a wee bit? No? Okay thanks

I'm thinking about for xmas getting an i3 + suitable mobo + perhaps 1x4GB ram, 2 if it's cheap enough. Really want to keep this low price, hence the i3 over the i5. I know it's not the best, but I could upgrade to an i5 later (right? I haven't looked at this shit in months). Think that's doable with, I dunno, £250? I've got a good enough PSU, shit case but it works and a 5770 (which I'll prolly be upgrading anyway).
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6568|Mountains of NC

Commie Killer wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

i52500k
Asus Z68 pro or P6T
Windows 7 (dx11 support)
650w PSU

Beduin wrote:

Thank you for both of these. I'm really amazed at how much prices have dropped, RAM especially.

My case and PSU are great but I think I'll keep it together, In all honesty he needs a new PC (2 year old 800$ Dell which sucks ass, out of curiosity could I get any money selling something like that on eBay?)

I'm on newegg and I'm going to try to put a list together, post it here so you guys can check and make sure I didn't screw it up somehow.

Am I better off waiting until Good Friday to buy a computer? Sales and what not on newegg?

And yes I'll try to be more careful with the thermal paste this time, but I'll probably fuck something else up instead...
You going to wait till Easter ???

you mean Black Friday
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
FloppY_
­

Commie Killer wrote:

I don't really see why... Most good motherboards already come with decent onboard soundcards....
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
gl n hf!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Commie Killer
+192|6387
https://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2170/newbuildlistone.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Am I missing anything?