lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA
http://jezebel.com/5844523/bullies-cont … d-suicide.

This poor kid was bullied relentlessly to the point of committing suicide. Even after his death his tormenters continued the attacks.

If govt. is to protect people from being offended it is in this capacity. Deeply personal attacks should be punished, these kids should be held accountable for how they treat others in person and on social sites.

I used to think that, on social sites, that you should get over it, or ignore it, but I think I have had a change of heart on this since social media is such an ingrained part of our lives now. It has become nothing less than assault to attack someone in such away for no other reason than to embarrass or humiliate them on a social site. It is the same as doing it in person and there should be consequences for it.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
I agree.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
Defriend. No one is physically holding you at the computer forcing you to take it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5033|Massachusetts, USA

Jay wrote:

Defriend. No one is physically holding you at the computer forcing you to take it.
Or just delete your fb and use a phone to contact your friends. If the bullies follow you into public, then you can get the police involved.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney

UnkleRukus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Or just delete your fb and use a phone to contact your friends. If the bullies follow you into public, then you can get the police involved.
The police don't do much.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Why should they have to run away?

Facebook is life, as are other social media sites. Why shouldn't people have the same freedoms from harassment there as anywhere else?

Might as well say don't go to school/resign your job/go out in public if you don't like being picked on.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

The police don't do much.
Until an assault occurs, or the harassment is severe, sustained and provable they aren't going to.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

UnkleRukus wrote:

Jay wrote:

or block those people.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

People aren't going to like you in real life. Tough shit. We can't protect someone from mean comments 24/7 for their entire lives. After awhile you have to man up.
Roc18
`
+655|5788|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
This is what happens when stupid people get trolled.

I'm looking at some of these comments

"JAMIE IS STUPID, GAY, FAT ANND UGLY. HE MUST DIE!"

How the hell do these retarded comments lead you to commit suicide? I would just laugh and block their asses. It's probably because he's 14 and was using the internet for the first time this year or something.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6565|Mountains of NC

Dilbert_X wrote:

Facebook is life, as are other social media sites. Why shouldn't people have the same freedoms from harassment there as anywhere else?

Might as well say don't go to school/resign your job/go out in public if you don't like being picked on.
agree

what happened to getting in fights, just asking for this new generation, back in my day yesiknowiwentthere you ran your mouth you got your ass whipped

I understand in this day and age that now with social media something like this can spread like wildfire
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA
It goes deeper than just "defriending". This kid was picked on in real life as well, not just the internet. Even if you did delete or defriend, does that make it ok for you to be dragged through the mud on someone else's pages? Life is tough enough as a teenager, without having to be exposed to this type of ridicule. ALso, this poor kid isn't the only one that has taken this type of extreme action. It has happened before.

What about the Columbine murders? Same thing except in reverse those kids took the path of killing others instead of themselves. Do the people that drove them to such extremes share any responsibility for the end result? Or should just be able to go through life and treat people anyway you want and they should just deal with you being an asshole when they have no escape from it?
Roc18
`

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's a block/report button on facebook. He should've done that instead of killing himself like a pussy over a few retarded trolls.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City
Harassment vs Freedom of Speech.

It can be a fine line at times.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SEREMAKER wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

agree

what happened to getting in fights, just asking for this new generation, back in my day yesiknowiwentthere you ran your mouth you got your ass whipped

I understand in this day and age that now with social media something like this can spread like wildfire
Yeah, but the primary reason for bullying in the first place is societal pressure to force conformity. Kid looks weird? He'll be made fun of for it until he stops looking weird. We're all unique snowflakes that should be free to express our individuality or something. Yeah ok, but in the real world non-conformity has consequences, better to learn that early in life.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City

SEREMAKER wrote:

Exactly... It was punch them in the nose or laugh at them and walk off.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA
So you guys can not empathize or sympathize with this poor kid at all? You speak of "free speech", well free speech does not protect your right to inflict harm or pain on others on a personal level. This kid is not the governor of NY, he is not a politician or a public figure, he was a teenager trying to make it in this world being different from the norm. Hell, being normal as a teenager has its challenges, let alone being gay. Especially now in a world where your humiliation is longer confined to a classroom, it's posted for the whole world to see. and all you can say is basically tough shit?

I have been called everything from asshole to monster for my opinions in this forum, but some of you are some seriously heartless bastards. Wow.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6668|UK
fuck him.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Roc18
`

lowing wrote:

So you guys can not empathize or sympathize with this poor kid at all? You speak of "free speech", well free speech does not protect your right to inflict harm or pain on others on a personal level. This kid is not the governor of NY, he is not a politician or a public figure, he was a teenager trying to make it in this world being different from the norm. Hell, being normal as a teenager has its challenges, let alone being gay. Especially now in a world where your humiliation is longer confined to a classroom, it's posted for the whole world to see. and all you can say is basically tough shit?

I have been called everything from asshole to monster for my opinions in this forum, but some of you are some seriously heartless bastards. Wow.
Honestly what the kid did was fucking stupid, kill himself? Wow.

I empathize with the fact that he's an insecure kid who didn't know how to handle insults and those bullies need to get their asses kicked. But you don't kill yourself over people like that.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713
You can't legislate away bullying. No matter how many laws or protections you put up, kids will be bullied no matter what. Parents should've taken action and brought it up to the school.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Everyone gets bullied at some point in their life. It's humbling, and humiliating, and you learn from it. Frankly, it's the kids parents fault for subjecting him to the crap. If he was being bullied that badly, pull him out of school or move. You can't hold everyones hand through life in an effort to make their existence pain free and joyous at all occasions. It's not realistic, and it's ultimately not good for the person when they do get faced with adversity. Is bullying bad? Yes. But I certainly don't think we need to write new laws that will impact everyone just because of a few outlier cases. Kids commit suicide every day. It's stupid, and pointless, but no piece of legislation you could ever dream up would change that fact.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5699|College Park, MD
i'm actually with lowing on this one

e: did you people even read the article? the kids were cheering over the other kid's death at a fucking dance. that sounds like the exact same behavior seen in Iraq when they killed and burned the bodies of those contractors. or when they beheaded Daniel Pearl. yes, these sociopaths sound like productive contributing members of society. fuck off.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-09-28 08:15:05)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4839|Amsterdam
Bullying is pretty normal teenager behaviour that he should've dealt with some other way instead of killing himself.
But what bothers me is that those bullies kept on going after he died.
The chanting at a dance where the kid's sister was right after his death? Bullying is normal, but that is just low.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA

Roc18 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Honestly what the kid did was fucking stupid, kill himself? Wow.

I empathize with the fact that he's an insecure kid who didn't know how to handle insults and those bullies need to get their asses kicked. But you don't kill yourself over people like that.
Everyone has a breaking point, and these kids pushed this poor guy to his. As a teenager your world is pretty small, and when you are not welcome or feel safe in it, you few options. Sure you can go to a counselor who will tell you all the usual bullshit. You are better then they are, just ignore it, etc. but that is not an escape. This kid was tortured for a long time before he finally found his way out of it. and teenage suicide is not something new. He just shouldn't have to put up with people pushing him over the edge.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5699|College Park, MD
they should be in a fucking mental institution
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard