Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

What makes you think your job won't get outsourced? UK won't do shit to "protect" IT jobs anyway.
And 'outsourced' doesn't simply mean sending the job to India. It could be replacing the IT department at your office and bringing in part time consultants in your stead. It could be ditching you and your ever rising pay and benefits for a fresh out of college kid that will work for half. These things happen every day in the IT industry. IT guys are considered a luxury and non-essential and are the first to get cut when profits sag.
And it's not like Cam could ever be a part time consultant be- oh, wait. He could.

And it's not like Cam would ever be a fresh out of college kid that will work for half be- oh, wait. He could.
It's not a good career path.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6295|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

And 'outsourced' doesn't simply mean sending the job to India. It could be replacing the IT department at your office and bringing in part time consultants in your stead. It could be ditching you and your ever rising pay and benefits for a fresh out of college kid that will work for half. These things happen every day in the IT industry. IT guys are considered a luxury and non-essential and are the first to get cut when profits sag.
And it's not like Cam could ever be a part time consultant be- oh, wait. He could.

And it's not like Cam would ever be a fresh out of college kid that will work for half be- oh, wait. He could.
It's a great career path, actually. You land a job out of college and you get the instant work experience. You go into a consulting firm and you don't have to worry about finding the next job, the company will do that for you. Or you can move out as a consultant on your own and enjoy the benefits in salary.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2011-08-01 04:21:09)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

It's a great career path, actually. You land a job out of college and you get the instant work experience. You go into a consulting and you don't have to worry about finding the next job, the company will do that for you. Or you can move out as a consultant on your own and enjoy the benefits in salary.
The top pay for IT consultants in NYC is about $50k/yr. That's barely a liveable wage here.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jsnipy
+3,276|6664|...

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Maybe if you take this "i want to be like a postal worker and sit at one job all my life mentality and collect a pension" mentality, then I agree it is not. I think your understanding of the field is a bit dated imo.

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's a great career path, actually. You land a job out of college and you get the instant work experience. You go into a consulting and you don't have to worry about finding the next job, the company will do that for you. Or you can move out as a consultant on your own and enjoy the benefits in salary.
The top pay for IT consultants in NYC is about $50k/yr. That's barely a liveable wage here.
Not sure what you consider an IT job really, but we have had this conversation already You mean entry level?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5728

If you have skills and are marketable, you will always have a job.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6295|what

jsnipy wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Not sure what you consider an IT job really, but we have had this conversation already You mean entry level?
I think so. Otherwise that is laughable.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6791

Macbeth wrote:

If you have skills and are marketable, you will always have a job.
According to Lowing.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6813|UK

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Where did you get that data from?

I work as an IT consultant and i'm in easily into 6 figures if you translate to dollars.  If i was to move to the US (which isnt a problem) i would expect to get the equivulant if not more.  I know a KPMG IT consultant who moved to NY in 2007 and was offered a salary $90-100K and she wasn't even managerial level.

Maybe you're refering to tech guys but even so system integrator type nerds are no way near $50K.

Last edited by m3thod (2011-08-01 07:42:15)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jsnipy wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Maybe if you take this "i want to be like a postal worker and sit at one job all my life mentality and collect a pension" mentality, then I agree it is not. I think your understanding of the field is a bit dated imo.

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Programming, networking and security. Maybe it's different where you are, but the market is flooded here by people that chose IT degrees during the dot com boom. My dad was a programming consultant during the late 90s, was making 100-150k a year and then boom, the industry turned and they figured out any college kid could perform the same task for $15/hr. The market has never recovered and rhere are hundredss of people applying for every open IT position, even shitty call center jobs.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5844|College Park, MD
That's why he ought to go with an MIS degree:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos258.htm#earnings

Scroll down to the bottom:

http://mays.tamu.edu/info/what-is-mis/

Yeah 50K ain't much in NYC but who would wanna live there?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5728

You don't need a degree to be a waiter.
mikkel
+383|6743

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not only is this patently false, but even if that was the state of the market in NYC, all that one would have to do is relocate to a place with half the cost of living and get paid twice that amount.

As for the thread; if you're good at what you do, and your skills are in demand, then you'll be employed. If you aren't good at what you do, or your skills aren't in demand, then you probably won't be employed. Same as any other industry.
m3thod
+2,197|6813|UK
henginurs make maor than ITit faygaits dont you know
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6809

For the hardware side, yes, pay isn't that great.  But get into anything financials related, and it's still good.  $200-$250/hr for Oracle Financials PM consultants paid to the consulting firm with 8-9 figure Project budgets.  Half that to the employee if they get hired permanently.  But then again, this is not what Camm is going for.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6485

m3thod wrote:

henginurs make maor than ITit faygaits dont you know
His job is safe, because of hurdles.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|5110|Dundee, Scotland.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6791

At least try to make it look nice?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5844|College Park, MD
"Cop-operative group"? Is that a typo?

Under your first work experience listing, "ensure we receive their continued custome." The fuck is 'custome'? I'd also use "tasked" instead of "entasked."

ps: How the hell did you get a D in English?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Microwave
_
+515|6797|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I'd definitely work on layout and presentation. Remember, you're selling yourself.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6791

And yeah, proof read dude...
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
k, points taken. how about now?
Sturgeon
+488|5083|Flintshire
Errors in the first line lol
It doesn't look appealing to the eyes at all, don't underline the headings, bold them and use a larger font size
Put your contact details (address, phone number, email) in the footer, put your name in the header then the next line underneath put "curriculum vitae", they know what it is and you don't need a bold underlined size 20 title saying that
Don't include salary in work experience, try to use different words rather than "my role", use my main duties were to...
Don't put why your contract was ended
Split the education and references into two different sections, don't put them side by side, it's confusing
In the education section put the school/college name as a smaller heading then put the qualifications gained underneath, then o onto the next school/college, put them chronologically too

(will look at it some more now)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Sturgeon
+488|5083|Flintshire
https://i.imgur.com/FMQVJ.png

As a little reference ^
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
m3thod
+2,197|6813|UK
check your email numpty.

although i have a ton of work to do, truly shocking CV.

need to improve english.  get someone to impove it, an A level english student will do.

Last edited by m3thod (2011-08-02 06:50:54)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard