bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

Make bf3s.com an open registration with captcha and/or question. Promote more people to moderator to deal with the minimal (I'm guessing) spam that ensues. There is a report button after all...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

jsnipy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

well then why make it the least fucking enjoyable? the ONLY attraction bf2s has had for the last - what? - 3/4 years is the fact that everyone here knows one another and it's a good place to come and shoot the breeze with after school/college/work/real-life with people that you know. don't have any delusions about it: this place is not going to abound with new-found bf3 fertility to become a powerhouse for bf3's community... it won't happen. bf2s is a community discussion forum now and you're punishing and banning members of the community for this mythical (and absent) 'influx' of 'new members' that are apparently just surging at the gates to get in (they're not).
I think all the enjoyment came about naturally, cdogm, bfroe/indian scout, supah, ATG, etc. Everything in recent times has been half-hearted emulation mixed with recycled internet trolling. Honestly the past 8 months has been 1/8 as much fun, even without a hot topic.
that's because bf2 died about 5 years ago now and there has literally been nothing to replace it. conversation and "hot topics" are now hard to find in a community that has no purpose to collectivize and come together to converse other than for small talk and what amounts to social gossip/bickering. we have all had small, temporary stints on games that have, for certain small groups, reignited a sense of bf2s 'group' identity... good fun, good games, laughs all around. but they're few and far between. what is annoying is that mods and admins now are banning people irrespective of the little cliques and social groups that have advanced within the wider bf2s pool. it is irritating to no end to be banned for a week on the back of an AWM that is total, complete nonsense (us british members are all pretty well acquainted and definitely aren't butthurting one another at this point). the 'active' and 'vigilant' mods/admins are just hopelessly out of touch with the true nature of this community now. they're making executive decisions from their separate air-conditioned management office without even looking at the factory floor and recognizing the workers.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-08-02 18:14:22)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

ebug9 wrote:

Make bf3s.com an open registration with captcha and/or question. Promote more people to moderator to deal with the minimal (I'm guessing) spam that ensues. There is a report button after all...
And if bf3s.com has no report button?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

AussieReaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Private messages then.

inb4andwhatifbf3s.comhasnopmfunction
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

ebug9 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Private messages then.

inb4andwhatifbf3s.comhasnopmfunction
What if Laura doesn't reply to Warman, what then?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
the most ironic thing is the members that have possibly 'contributed' most towards keeping some gaming spirit and community action going on bf2s are the ones that are often banned or completely overlooked by moderators. for like the last 12 months (especially last summer) a lot of us europeans (and very often regular americans: matty, miggle, tucker, burnz, warman, mutant, even fucking shifty, etc.) have been hopping on a euro-based teamspeak and playing loads of games with us, as well as having a great laugh. but then when we say something deemed 'offensive' to one another via the forum, we're banned and punished as if we're scaring away complete strangers. it's a joke how detached the 'staff' are from the real pulse of this community now.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Uzique wrote:

the most ironic thing is the members that have possibly 'contributed' most towards keeping some gaming spirit and community action going on bf2s are the ones that are often banned or completely overlooked by moderators. for like the last 12 months (especially last summer) a lot of us europeans (and very often regular americans: matty, miggle, tucker, burnz, warman, mutant, even fucking shifty, etc.) have been hopping on a euro-based teamspeak and playing loads of games with us, as well as having a great laugh. but then when we say something deemed 'offensive' to one another via the forum, we're banned and punished as if we're scaring away complete strangers. it's a joke how detached the 'staff' are from the real pulse of this community now.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/ss/thumbsup.png well said - KENNINGs has been on teamspeak, but really he never banned me for three days for posting " l o l " either.

to be honest, i've had this pc/os build for a year now, and don't have any cd-dvd games installed (only Steam atm) and bf2s has been a place for me to share and learn photography, keep up with what's new in tech, talk sports, and share in EE.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I think it is a tad egotistical to define the pulse of the community as your point of view. But I agree with you at the same time, it is like hall patrol on a shrinking titanic. Honestly I've always been disconnected, there are probably 3 people here that I have played any games here with some regularity, I'm a bit jelly QQ

13urnzz wrote:

to be honest, i've had this pc/os build for a year now, and don't have any cd-dvd games installed (only Steam atm)
I'm pretty much done with plastic disks also
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

jsnipy wrote:

I think it is a tad egotistical to define the pulse of the community as your point of view. But I agree with you at the same time, it is like hall patrol on a shrinking titanic. Honestly I've always been disconnected, there are probably 3 people here that I have played any games here with some regularity, I'm a bit jelly QQ

13urnzz wrote:

to be honest, i've had this pc/os build for a year now, and don't have any cd-dvd games installed (only Steam atm)
To know how retarded you are, one has to simply look at your sig.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

jsnipy wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

egotistical or just honest? i see 2 main hubs of community activity: the europeans and straggling 'core' north americans congregating on dauntless's teamspeak and playing games with us lot, and the australians doing their own isolated island thing with their own au chats and gaming. everything else is pretty much dead, as far as a cohesive 'bf2s' goes. and yet 99% of the bans are slapped down to people from either of the two aforementioned gaming groups. we are the only people still keeping this community active.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

There is some truth in that. With no growth and everyone knowing each other identities. What purpose does the place really hold? What would you do?

AussieReaper wrote:

shhh Aussie, grown ups are talking
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

jsnipy wrote:

There is some truth in that. With no growth and everyone knowing each other identities. What purpose does the place really hold? What would you do?

AussieReaper wrote:

shhh Aussie, grown ups are talking
Yeah, uzique and who else?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
what i would do is refrain from making retarded 'the administration have had a board meeting and here's a company memo...' type threads like this. we all just scratch our heads and say "uuuh, what?"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

i guess you have to have 2500+ karma to post on this page.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
i guess that precludes any of the admins
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria

Uzique wrote:

that's because bf2 died about 5 years ago
Nah, I wouldn't say that.
IMO, it only started to decline shortly before the time that Trackr was starting to get set up and tested.

In fact, Trackr would have been a way to keep BF2s going stronger for more years to come if it wasn't for one big mistake:
Keeping the forums of BF2s open.
It really should have linked to the new forums instead, basically forcing everyone to switch.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Uzique wrote:

what is annoying is that mods and admins now are banning people irrespective of the little cliques and social groups that have advanced within the wider bf2s pool.
Sounds (is) annoying. What is also (and should sound) annoying is getting shat all over when you try to be nice and up front about the first few legitimate AWMs you send out as a mod. You'd think the bloody things were $300 fines.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

It's hard to defend the community aspect of bf2s when the community cannibalizes and pushes out long time members all the time. Every so often you'll see the hivemind target particular members until the person quits or gets banned. ATG, Turq, Floppy, Haibai, Flaming_Maniac, Mek etc.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what is annoying is that mods and admins now are banning people irrespective of the little cliques and social groups that have advanced within the wider bf2s pool.
Sounds (is) annoying. What is also (and should sound) annoying is getting shat all over when you try to be nice and up front about the first few legitimate AWMs you send out as a mod. You'd think the bloody things were $300 fines.
I guess the mods don't have time to keep track of every man-crush and coven which is going on in BF2s at any one time.

Also, what is an AWM?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Macbeth wrote:

It's hard to defend the community aspect of bf2s when the community cannibalizes and pushes out long time members all the time. Every so often you'll see the hivemind target particular members until the person quits or gets banned. ATG, Turq, Floppy, Haibai, Flaming_Maniac, Mek etc.
Parker. https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/images/smilies/sarcasm.gif
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

globefish23 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

that's because bf2 died about 5 years ago
Nah, I wouldn't say that.
IMO, it only started to decline shortly before the time that Trackr was starting to get set up and tested.

In fact, Trackr would have been a way to keep BF2s going stronger for more years to come if it wasn't for one big mistake:
Keeping the forums of BF2s open.
It really should have linked to the new forums instead, basically forcing everyone to switch.
the trackr discussion boards sucked and the site layout was pretty much miserable.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Macbeth wrote:

cry more, every single one of those members except one was an 18+ adult. don't want to get universally flamed? don't be universally stupid. the community should coddle and apologize to people for making dumb comments and being terribly misguided? what world do you live in?
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6651|Washington DC

Dilbert_X wrote:

Also, what is an AWM?
It means Administration Warning Message ... it is basically a notice that a moderator has done some action.  Using the "modmin" interface, we can select what actions to take on a post, and then whether or not to send a notice to the member that an action was taken.  It  is up to the moderator to check what they want to execute, and if they check the "Send reason to user" box, then an AWM is generated, and a PM delivered to the member.

All moderator actions are logged.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12853/modmin.jpg
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

Oh, so that's what the {quote} thing is.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
(27th)Kaptyn
+14|6515|AUS
Do you guys really think it's a coincidence that the admins have decided to try cleaning things up a bit only months before the release of BF3?
There hasn't really been a lot of reasons for new members to join BF2s lately (and given the reception they get it's not surprising that few have tried) but you can bet that with BF3 coming out there will be a fair number of people wanting to have discussions regarding new maps, weapons and tactics.
Maybe the admins are just trying to ensure that they actually get the opportunity to do so without being abused to the point where they decide to go somewhere else.
Those of you who don't think BF3 will attract a crapload of prospective new members might want to try and remember what this forum was like 6 years ago.
Keep pushing it OH.
With any luck the release of BF3 will give members something a bit more interesting to talk about than each others shortcomings.
The BF3 thread has had more action (over 200 pages already) than any other area of this entire forum recently.
It has also been one of the more courteous threads because people are discussing issues related to the game rather than what they think of each other.
Think about what might happen when there are 50 000 people with some input instead of just those in the alpha trial.
Keep an eye on what happens when the open beta starts up.

Something to consider : it may be that the (small) current core group of posting members is no longer the top priority for those running this site.
That may not be the case, but it certainly makes financial sense if it is.
It may be that attracting and catering for the interests of a much larger group of prospective new members will trump the desires of a small group of members who want to maintain the poor standards of conduct that have become the norm.

Last edited by (27th)Kaptyn (2011-08-03 06:52:03)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6673|UK

Macbeth wrote:

ATG went nuts and left on his own accord as this place was affecting his real life..
Turq is a crybaby
Floppy was not right in the head (he had to go see a shrink for god sake)
Haibai was a nobhead, good riddance
FM was a power freak who got off on his wanky pokey 'role' here, fuck him
Mek was rightly hammered over his tusmani comments. needs a thicker skin if anything.

Nothing more than natural selection.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard