SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6146|North Tonawanda, NY

nlsme1 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Homosexuality is a part of nature.  I have a hard time believing it's a 'genetic defect' or 'mental disease' because of its appearance in such a wide variety of species.
The apearnace of it in differant species does not mean it is not a defect. I am not saying it is, jst saying this arguement is mute.
While true, I didn't pose that as proof.  I only said that I have a hard time believing it.

I will pose this question though--do you know of any proven mental diseases/disorders or genetic defects that appear with the same symptoms in so many species?
nlsme1
+32|5433

SenorToenails wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Homosexuality is a part of nature.  I have a hard time believing it's a 'genetic defect' or 'mental disease' because of its appearance in such a wide variety of species.
The apearnace of it in differant species does not mean it is not a defect. I am not saying it is, jst saying this arguement is mute.
While true, I didn't pose that as proof.  I only said that I have a hard time believing it.

I will pose this question though--do you know of any proven mental diseases/disorders or genetic defects that appear with the same symptoms in so many species?
Not sure how many studies there have been on it. I know I had a cat that got depressed once. We took away his lady friends and he stopped eating.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6015|Vortex Ring State

Macbeth wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't think it's a built in population control, I just think it is a product of our animal brain's deep-rooted inability to cope with our increasingly social/unnatural world. Too many inherent contradictions within the social construct viewed against a purely logical/instinctual world.
So you're attributing it to future shock? That could make sense in a way. Human beings weren't designed for the sort of lives we, in the west, all live now.
yeah but because of a large population, we get said contradictions, which cause homosexuality, which prevents the population from growing larger.

See my logic here?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6723|67.222.138.85

Diesel_Dyk wrote:

The OP presupposes that all animals in the stock are necessary for breeding.
No he didn't. Then later you laughably twisted my argument into presupposing the same thing.

Diesel_Dyk wrote:

Which is why he squeals when someone shreds his argument.
I dunno what you think you did, but you were far, far from "shredding" his argument.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

More directly towards the OP I think is more a kind of urban sickness. I am hesitant to use "sickness" because of the prejudice against gays it implies, but as you stated if you presume at least one of the purposes of an animal is to continue its species then there is something wrong with them. Of course the exact same sentiment could also be expressed about suicidal people or anti-social people, and you will note all three of those groups are disproportionately likely to occur in urbanized settings - at least that we know about.

I don't think it's a built in population control, I just think it is a product of our animal brain's deep-rooted inability to cope with our increasingly social/unnatural world. Too many inherent contradictions within the social construct viewed against a purely logical/instinctual world.
Because New York and San Francisco have large gay populations? Don't be silly. Most of them came from elsewhere and just congregated in a place where they were accepted instead of being subjected to torture in their small towns.
More like put a chart of urbanization in America and number of gays in America next to each other and not be surprised at all.

Correlation does not imply causation, but there is a correlation and if I had to pick a hypothesis as to why it would be that one.

@Toenails

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilepsy_in_animals

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_dis … er_animals
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5374|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Diesel_Dyk wrote:

The OP presupposes that all animals in the stock are necessary for breeding.
No he didn't. Then later you laughably twisted my argument into presupposing the same thing.

Diesel_Dyk wrote:

Which is why he squeals when someone shreds his argument.
I dunno what you think you did, but you were far, far from "shredding" his argument.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

More directly towards the OP I think is more a kind of urban sickness. I am hesitant to use "sickness" because of the prejudice against gays it implies, but as you stated if you presume at least one of the purposes of an animal is to continue its species then there is something wrong with them. Of course the exact same sentiment could also be expressed about suicidal people or anti-social people, and you will note all three of those groups are disproportionately likely to occur in urbanized settings - at least that we know about.

Because New York and San Francisco have large gay populations? Don't be silly. Most of them came from elsewhere and just congregated in a place where they were accepted instead of being subjected to torture in their small towns.
More like put a chart of urbanization in America and number of gays in America next to each other and not be surprised at all.

Correlation does not imply causation, but there is a correlation and if I had to pick a hypothesis as to why it would be that one.
If you ignore everything else from the past forty years, sure. I know you're on a city hating kick lately but urbanization has absolutely nothing to do with the number of out-of-the-closet gays. Considering there is massive evidence that gays have existed throughout the history of the human race why would you suppose that it has increased?

No. A century ago a man would've been forced to hide his gayness or he would've faced ridicule and humiliation at every turn. The gay community in San Francisco and New York would've been systematically targeted by the police and thrown in jail for sodomy and other 'crimes'. It wasn't until the 70s that gay communities started forming in places they felt safe: Miami, New York, San Francisco etc. Notice that those three cities are also the most liberal and tolerant of people that are 'different'. Then we finally come to Pedro and the Real World which became the tipping point and pushed gays and gay issues (and AIDS) into the mainstream media. Before then it was taboo.

So, nothing has really changed aside from the fact that people no longer live in fear for their lives (outside of Appalachia and Texas) if they are gay. They can find a community where people are like them and live life as they please instead of facing ridicule and torture. That's freedom baby!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
"I know you're on a city hating kick lately"
no

There is no way to say the rate of gays / thousand pop has changed over time because that kind of data is impossible to gather. If it was as prevalent as it is now though, I think it is a pretty fair assumption to say that we would have known about it. Regardless of the social stigma there are a LOT of gay people now, a large enough percentage that I would think would have let themselves be known to some degree. If the homosexual tendencies were repressed to the point that they got married/had kids, well so far as this thread is concerned that means they aren't so "sick" as to be unable to pass on their genes.

So really the count of out-of-the-closet homosexuals is the count that is important, because they are the ones that are not going to be passing on their genes with certainty.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
That's interesting, and I had asked out of curiosity in case anyone knew of any, not to make a point.  And not to 'move the goalposts', but the epilepsy article only mentions canines  and felines and the other article only mentioned non-human primates.  Neither of those fills the scope of species that display homosexuality.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6661

Reciprocity wrote:

if a person's only "mental disorder" is playing for the other team, they're doing pretty good. 

I tend to think homosexuality is genetic byproduct of highly socialized animals.
everything is a mental disorder or some type of disease these days... sure may seem wrong but it has been part of human history for long periods of time....
Flaming_Maniac
It doesn't have to. The point is that human brains can be messed up, animal brains can be messed up, and according to natural functions homosexual people/animals have messed up brains. There is no "brain deficit immunity" that makes lower animal brains unable to be flawed, which would prove that because some animals are homosexual it must not be a flaw.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It doesn't have to. The point is that human brains can be messed up, animal brains can be messed up, and according to natural functions homosexual people/animals have messed up brains. There is no "brain deficit immunity" that makes lower animal brains unable to be flawed, which would prove that because some animals are homosexual it must not be a flaw.
And I never said it would be proof.  In fact, no one can prove that it's a mental disorder, genetic disorder, or any other kind of disorder.  Of course, no one can prove that it isn't one either, but that hardly means anything.

Other than by assertion, how can you claim that homosexuals' brains are 'messed up'?  What data are there to back this up?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Trotskygrad wrote:

2 homosexuals can't produce offspring.
Yet.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom
so a 12 year old girl who has her first menstrual cycle but is not actively trying to get pregnant has a messed up brain?
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

So humans, like any other living things, aren't immortal and need to reproduce in order for the species to continue. Human beings reproduce sexually and have two distinct genders, male and female. Now in order to move reproduction along men and women have sexual drives towards the opposite gender.
https://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/4/128782685664515853.jpg
Flaming_Maniac

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

And I never said it would be proof.  In fact, no one can prove that it's a mental disorder, genetic disorder, or any other kind of disorder.  Of course, no one can prove that it isn't one either, but that hardly means anything.

Other than by assertion, how can you claim that homosexuals' brains are 'messed up'?  What data are there to back this up?
What is a normal brain? If you assume there is not a normal brain, then their brains are messed up by default. If you assume a natural point of view to define a "normal brain" then the most basic requirements must be 1) self-preservation and 2) reproduction. They fail one of those tests.

eleven bravo wrote:

so a 12 year old girl who has her first menstrual cycle but is not actively trying to get pregnant has a messed up brain?
Using the natural definition again someone is only messed up if they never reproduce, so that their genes are never passed on. Homosexuality is genetic suicide.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom
wouldnt that include any body using birth control?
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
edited above
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

SenorToenails wrote:

Genetic defects and mental diseases are not a part of nature?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom
it could be argued that monogamy is genetic suicide and counter to human evolution as well.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
How exactly can monogamy be considered genetic suicide?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom
the finite nature of a womans reproductive capabilities vs a mans biological predisposition to impregate as many females as possible.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
That isn't genetic suicide. It's genetic suicide if you NEVER reproduce.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5275|foggy bottom

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

That isn't genetic suicide. It's genetic suicide if you NEVER reproduce.
say woman cant have kids.  man loves woman.  they are married for a gazillion years with no children.  very much in conflict with your concept of genetic survival.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
And naturally speaking they are both messed up in the head. If society didn't exist the two would never have married and stayed together. It is every bit the social corruption of the mind that homosexuality is.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Genetic defects and mental diseases are not a part of nature?
Ah, I didn't say that.  I said that I have a hard time believing that homosexuality is a human brain defect when so many diverse species exhibit similar behavior.  FM found that some animals display epilepsy, just like humans--but do as many animals?  The article he cited only discussed canines and felines.  Similarly with the other article he mentioned.  I didn't say it was proof; I didn't imply it was proof--but then, no one has any or this wouldn't be a debate.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6791|Moscow, Russia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

And naturally speaking they are both messed up in the head. If society didn't exist the two would never have married and stayed together. It is every bit the social corruption of the mind that homosexuality is.
it depens on your notion of what "mind" is. if humans never wanted to "corrupt" themselves by organizing into societies and then, ultimately, into civilizations, we might as well be hanging from the trees still - is that what you'd consider you "normal" state?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard