Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
How do you want to see DAST change with an emphasis on the administration of the section?

If you want to see a "better" section we could try upping the intensity of the moderation significantly. Delete anything that is a personal attack, delete anything that does not significantly contribute, no more OPs with just a news article and two sentences at the bottom, outright ban repeat offenders in a much shorter timeframe, etc. But only if you want it. I'm not going to put more effort into something I don't enjoy doing if it's going to go unappreciated. A lot of posts will be deleted and probably significantly more bans than usual. But if you guys want it, I will make an effort.

All of this of course is predicated on your ability to generate content. You have to meet us halfway here. Making genuine topics and taking time with responses is what is going to make or break the changes. Trying to elevate a section only by deleting poor posts and banning members is a terrible way to go about things. You have to take some responsibility for the section as well.

On the other hand do you want to see it maintain its current course?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5234|Cleveland, Ohio
Have some user "mods" with the ability to delete posts but not ban or whatever.  They need to be active also.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5996|Vortex Ring State
as long as posts with a sense of humour are still allowed, and only personal bashing is deleted, I agree.

However, less restrictions on OP, threads should be allowed to go wherever they go as long as there's a discussion going on that's SOMEWHAT related to the OP.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina
I know where you're coming from.  I guess I look at it like this.

Posters should usually try to post serious topics and responses, but a little humor mixed in with it isn't a problem.  Sarcasm can sometimes go a long way.

Granted, I admit there is a fine line between sarcasm and trolling.
Flaming_Maniac

11 Bravo wrote:

Have some user "mods" with the ability to delete posts but not ban or whatever.  They need to be active also.
Why would you want people that could delete but not ban?

This has been brought up before, the general argument against is if you're going to find people you trust to delete content, why not just make them a full mod?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Delete anything that is a personal attack/ no more OPs with just a news article and two sentences at the bottom
Please.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6737
Less trolling more Debating on the OP's threads, also less turning debates into a 2 man bandwagon when just 2 members just fighting with each other all through the thread and neither backs down even when wrong, gets boring.

Edit I dont post alot but I do read alot of the threads.

Last edited by paranoid101 (2010-05-31 12:11:21)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

Poseidon wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Delete anything that is a personal attack/ no more OPs with just a news article and two sentences at the bottom
Please.
11 Bravo
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Why would you want people that could delete but not ban?

This has been brought up before, the general argument against is if you're going to find people you trust to delete content, why not just make them a full mod?
because bans are stupid
Trotskygrad
бля

paranoid101 wrote:

Less trolling more Debating on the OP's threads, also less turning debates into a 2 man bandwagon when just 2 members just fighting with each other all through the thread and neither backs down even when wrong, gets boring.

tbh, FEOS vs. F_M was a pretty good read.
Flaming_Maniac
I think what would be helpful is if you guys posted some borderline posts/threads on here and said what you think should be done about content like that. Do not make it personal on this thread. Because obviously there has to be some sense of humor and I recognize concern, but there does have to be a line somewhere.
Wreckognize
+294|6482
leave it as is.  no use trying to fix the boat after it already sunk.
11 Bravo
Banned
why does this section lack stickies while other sections half the first page is stickies?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
that won't work, fm. you'll have to permanently ban most of the regulars of this section - most of the more active and productive members, mind you. lowing, marine, atg, ruisleipa - the list goes on.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

11 Bravo wrote:

why does this section lack stickies while other sections half the first page is stickies?
Stickies are annoying, tbh
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

lowing, ATG, and Marine don't auto make it personal if you disagree with them. If you at least try to be civil and treat them with a little respect they won't make personal attacks.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6737

Trotskygrad wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

tbh, FEOS vs. F_M was a pretty good read.
Maybe but don't you find in threads where 2 are at each others throats is that when others post to the op's thread, it normally gets lost with all the fighting between the 2.

Last edited by paranoid101 (2010-05-31 12:19:38)

jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

I think new posts in the DAST section should only be created by users who have proven themselves mature and have the ability to provide meaningful substance to a conversation.

Spoiler (highlight to read):

i.e. not me
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5747|شمال
I think it is ok.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Trotskygrad
бля

Macbeth wrote:

lowing, ATG, and Marine don't auto make it personal if you disagree with them. If you at least try to be civil and treat them with a little respect they won't make personal attacks.
qft.

Tbh we need moar mods.

IMO, only inflammatory posts should be deleted, along with the response they provoke.

Off topic posts are usually ignored/reported/deleted already

It's the flamewars that are really bringing down D/ST
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Trotskygrad wrote:

It's the flamewars that are really bringing down D/ST
its all it seems to be lately
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

I like personal attacks
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

ghettoperson wrote:

I like personal attacks
That's what EE is for
11 Bravo
Banned
well, why cant the DST chats thread be for personal attacks and junk like the EE one is?  i see no issue with that tbh.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Macbeth wrote:

when they are sober - yeah, probably. should we implement alco-test in D&ST?
now, personally, i don't care about any "attacks" - nobody in here is capable of actually insulting me. FM, however, seems bent on turning this section into a girls school, which is bullshit, tbh.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard