This should be in the OP or it's own thread. Nice Post.
Microwave wrote:Regarding apps:
There's one called AppBrain. You install this free app on your phone. Then sign in with your google account on their website http://www.appbrain.com/
The site functions as an Android Market browser but also you can selects apps to install on the site, and next time you sync the app on your phone it installs all the apps you selected online.
It can also show a list of your apps which is good for sharing like this....
(it doesn't come with a description of the apps normally, I just thought it would be helpful to add one in I'll also update the OP with this list for reference).
jh0lt's Nexus One Apps
Phone: Nexus One
72 total, 63 free (87%), 9 paid (12%), 72MB total size, $33.87 total price (except the one that takes up like $20 of that price is one I downloaded online lololol)
- SDrescan - If you're having trouble with pictures not showing up from the camera in the gallery (sometimes the case with custom camera software) this app is very helpful.
- SMS Unread Count - This is a widget that you run on your homescreen which shows a counter for unread messages (can work with gmail).
- Titanium Backup ? root - Essential app for root users, the best backup software.
- Paper Toss - no explination needed
- Dropbox - dropbox app, some features missing but it's only in it's infancy, still an essential app if you use dropbox.
- LauncherPro Beta - this replaces the 'launcher' of your phone, which is essentially the home screens, it lets you select a different amount of home screens (up to 7) and also have icons in a 'dock' next to the 'all applications' button.
- Astrid Task/Todo List - another essential app if you're into writing quick notes or memos, supports integration with calendar and alerts.
- Dock Simulator - This simulates your phone being in a dock which can be useful if you want to use your phone as a bedside clock.
- Qik Video - Stream video live to the web.
- 2 Player Reactor - Fun reaction time based game.
- Bluetooth File Transfer - a more thorough bluetooth app, letting you browse the destination device amongst other things.
- Kaloer Clock - Night Clock - probably the best alarm clock app I've found (this and 'Bedside' - which is further down!) Has lots of useful features like a fade in sound, custom snooze time etc.
- Trackball Alert Pro - I believe an essential app if you're a Nexus One owner. (Note: only works if rooted). This app lets you illuminate the trackball different colours based on different notifications. You can set any colour + blink rate for pretty much any app.
- WebSharingLite File/Media Sync A useful tool for quickly getting files from your phone to a computer without bluetooth or the usb cable. Gives your phone an IP which you can navigate to on the computer, then browse the phone SD card.
- ASTRO File Manager - Massivly essential app, the best file manager available. Also can use to install/uninstall apps.
- Air Control (Ad) - fun game, made famous on the iPhone.
- My Tracks - an official Google app which utilizes GPS to track your position, for walking, running, routes, etc.
- SetCPU for Root Users - an overclocking tool which can actually save battery life if configured correctly (root only).
- Mathdroid - the best scientific calculator app I've found.
- ShootMe (Screen Grabber) - one of several screenshot apps available, I've found this better than the others (root only).
- PayPal - official paypal app.
- SMS Backup - this is a useful app which lets you back up all your texts to a label in your gmail account.
- Pure Calendar widget (agenda) - another essential, I great, highly customisable calendar widget, couldn't live without this!
- SwitchPro Widget - another essential, this is basically an expansion of the official android 'power control' widget, giving customisation and lots more options.
- Backgrounds - Backgrounds...
- Whiteboard - a fun app which is a whiteboard, that's kinda it *goes to uninstall*
- Barcode Scanner - probably another essential here, this should be on android by default, it lets you scan barcodes of anything, and also read the square ones you find which takes you to URLs + to install apps.
- Speedtest.net Speed Test - official speedtest app, useful for testing 3G and wifi.
- FxCamera - adds a few camera effects options (sadly not in the native app)
- Root Explorer (File Manager) - an essential app if you're a 'hardcore' user, lets you browse the 'superuser', root folders. Use carefully!
- Notes - I've found this to be the best quick notes app, mainly to be honest for the simple 'default-looking' logo and name.
- Adobe® Reader® - official Adobe reader app, probably the best, still not decided yet, there's a few other good ones out there.
- Sniper shot! - a bit of fun using the camera for about 5minutes.
- Mini Info - a useful widget giving system info.
- Bedside (Night Clock) - my other alarm clock option (still not decided between this and 'Kaoler Clock') this is a better implementation but lacks some of the features of Kaoler Clock.
- XiiaLive Lite [DroidLive] - a brilliant shoutcast radio streaming app with a decent widget.
- Bonsai Blast - averagely fun game, probably going to uninstall this.
- NetCounter - a useful app for monitoring internet useage over the network and wifi + different subtotals/counters.
- Wheres My Droid - a handy app for if you loose your phone! The app doesn't even have to be open, you text your phone a specific phrase, the phone automatically turns up to max volume and rings.
- Twitter - official Twitter app, not that I ever use Twitter.
- Wapedia: 4 Wikipedia & more! - a handy wiki browser, neatly built into an app.
- AppBrain App Market - I've explained this at the top of this post!
- Google Translate - another official Google app, can also do text to speak!
- Advanced Task Killer - it's up to you which side of the 'task killer / no task killer' debate you're on, but if you're anal like me and like closing tasks this is one of the best + a good widget.
- Text-To-Speech Extended - for use with 'Google translate'.
- Car Locator - a really cool app for storing the location of your car using the GPS and a simple map + compass to navigate back to it.
- CacheMate for Root Users - a cache cleaning app for root users, not any obvious performance increases but it can't be doing any harm!
- AdFree Android - no adds in my apps biatches!
- Google Maps - .....
- Google Goggles - a really cool official Google app which lets you take a picture of something and Google will (most of the time) identify it and perform a search, good for impressing your friends!
- Movies - a great app for movies; upcoming, now playing, reviews, trailers etc
- CyanogenMod Updater - CyanogenMod is a custom Android ROM, this app notifies you of any updates and installs them easily (requires root).
- Quick Boot - a useful app for root users that lets you reboot the phone into recovery mode.
- Facebook for Android - a below par POS app that represents Facebook! Come on devs, sort it out!!
- Trap! - another timewaster.
- Shopper - a Google beta app which works similar to the barcode scanner but identifies the product and searches for prices.
- Shazam - a brilliantly effective app for identifiying music which is playing. Has work flawlessly for me.
- Robo Defense FREE - one of the better Android games.
- Places Directory - brilliant Google app which tells you places around you (using your location) based on category (there's lots to choose from!)
- Pkt Auctions eBay - there's no official eBay app (yet), this app is pretty good, not a fan of the UI but it's functional.
- PicSay - Photo Editor - a handy photo editing app. Quick and easy. Also, if you have trouble sending mms messages with pictures taken from the camera (due to an Android problem not resizing pictures probably for mms - I think this might be Nexus One only, I'm not sure) this app is great for that.
- PapiJump - another decent game, made famous from it's iPhone counterpart.
- Meebo IM - probably the best multi-IM client, support for FACEBOOK CHAT (yes!), MSN, yahoo etc.
- Google Sky Map - an amazing app which uses the GPS amongst other sensors in the phone to show the stars mapped out on your device using it's orientation.
- Gmote 2.0 - brilliant remote software which you can use to control music, pics and videos on your computer, can also stream them all to your phone over wifi!
- Google Earth - good for showing off if you have a compatible phone!
- DocumentsToGo Full Version Key - erm....
- Documents To Go 2.0 Main App - ermmmmmm...
- Compass - it's an app, which is a compass!
- MyBackup Pro - the best backup software if you're not rooted, backs up both apps and phone data/settings, very useful.
- Terminal Emulator - this app comes with most custom ROMs you install when you root, good for showing off again!
- Google Voice - self explanitory, only supported on some phones though.
View this app list on AppBrain
Hope this is helpful for you guys, I took a while writing it all out! This should get you started on some really great apps for your Android phone!
And any questions on them, get asking!
..and http://www.iheartradio.com/cc-common/ra … tml?tabs=2