• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Detail the differences between paypal payment methods please.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/30898/Paypal%20methods.JPG

I'm writing a PayPal tutorial for old people, making it as simple as possible. Now, even I don't understand the difference between these two payment methods
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
One takes money straight out of your account and one charges your debit/credit card ... what's not to get?
CammRobb
Banned

liquidat0r wrote:

One takes money straight out of your account and one charges your debit/credit card ... what's not to get?
but isn't taking money straight out your bank account the same as charging your debit card?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
well, not really.  if you pay directly with a bank account, you are giving paypal direct access via your account and routing number.  if you use a debit card, it's like going through a third-party (your debit card) that draws directly from you account.  i would NEVER give paypal direct account access.  let them have a debit card at the most, since you can always get your bank involved for any shady business.  if your paypal account is hacked, and they have direct account access, it's going to be really hard to recover from that.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
CammRobb
Banned

steelie34 wrote:

well, not really.  if you pay directly with a bank account, you are giving paypal direct access via your account and routing number.  if you use a debit card, it's like going through a third-party (your debit card) that draws directly from you account.  i would NEVER give paypal direct account access.  let them have a debit card at the most, since you can always get your bank involved for any shady business.  if your paypal account is hacked, and they have direct account access, it's going to be really hard to recover from that.
so you would say that linking a debit/credit card to the paypal is safer and better?
steelie34
pub hero!

CammRobb wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

so you would say that linking a debit/credit card to the paypal is safer and better?
yes, for sure.  the less people who have your bank acct info, the better.  that's precisely the reason debit cards were introduced as mainstream payment methods.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

steelie34 wrote:

Which is why I only use the top up account feature. As in I wire transfer paypal money straight from my bank account. I don't like the idea of other people having access to my bank account in any way.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

steelie34 wrote:

wat

nah bud, if they hack your paypal they only have access to your paypal.

You have to transfer money from your bank accout to paypal, then wait for it to clear and shit, then you can use it. I never keep more than like what, $20 or less on my paypal account.

There's no direct access. If they've hacked your online banking service you're fucked anyway.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
steelie34
pub hero!

Flecco wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

wat

You have to transfer money from your bank accout to paypal, then wait for it to clear and shit, then you can use it. I never keep more than like what, $20 or less on my paypal account.

There's no direct access. If they've hacked your online banking service you're fucked anyway.

paypal wrote:

Can I use PayPal without money in my PayPal account?

Yes, you can. To pay for things or to send money, simply link your bank account or credit card to your PayPal account. You can do this when you sign up for an account, or by updating your PayPal account profile. To view and edit your profile, log in to your PayPal account and click on Profile at the top of the page.

How do I use my bank account, credit card, or debit card with PayPal?

It's easy. When you make a payment or send money, PayPal uses your PayPal balance first to cover the payment. If your PayPal balance doesn't cover the transaction, the bank account, credit card, or debit card you linked to your PayPal account will be used for the payment.
https://personal.paypal.com/cgi-bin/mar … for_PayPal
https://personal.paypal.com/cgi-bin/mar … al_Account

if you link your bank account, its going to be 1000 times harder to get your money back than if a debit charge was made.  those can take a couple days to clear, whereas a direct account withdrawal is instant.

Last edited by steelie34 (2010-05-13 06:28:53)

phishsux
­
+131|5102
yall are paranoid. its paypal...nothing is going to happen to your money. i have mine connected to my bank account, and transactions usually process within a day or 2
steelie34
pub hero!

phishsux wrote:

yall are paranoid. its paypal...nothing is going to happen to your money. i have mine connected to my bank account, and transactions usually process within a day or 2
consider his audience though... he's going to be helping newbie users understand paypal, which happens to be the most frequently attacked payment service through phishing (lol) emails and fraud websites.  obviously we aren't as likely to get scammed by this, but a bunch of brand new users?  i'm already drafting my 'verify your account info' emails as we speak
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Simply this.

You have a paypal account. You link your finances (credit card and bank account) to that account.

When you go to pay for something, you can choose which financial account to draw from for your paypal account to use.

I'm pretty sure they'll understand that.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Can I have their emails when they sign up please?
csmag
+92|6417|Canada

steelie34 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

wat

paypal wrote:

Yes, you can. To pay for things or to send money, simply link your bank account or credit card to your PayPal account. You can do this when you sign up for an account, or by updating your PayPal account profile. To view and edit your profile, log in to your PayPal account and click on Profile at the top of the page.

It's easy. When you make a payment or send money, PayPal uses your PayPal balance first to cover the payment. If your PayPal balance doesn't cover the transaction, the bank account, credit card, or debit card you linked to your PayPal account will be used for the payment.

if you link your bank account, its going to be 1000 times harder to get your money back than if a debit charge was made.  those can take a couple days to clear, whereas a direct account withdrawal is instant.
Takes me 8 days to withdraw from my bank account to paypal...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
debit card is like a credit card

taking it from the account is like writing a check
Tu Stultus Es
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada

csmag wrote:

Takes me 8 days to withdraw from my bank account to paypal...
Canada
We're always getting shafted.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
My paypal is linked to my bank account...it take like 7-8 days to clear, if someone else than me initiate a payment, its very easy to stop....a debit card....not so much.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

CammRobb wrote:

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/30898 … ethods.JPG

I'm writing a PayPal tutorial for old people, making it as simple as possible. Now, even I don't understand the difference between these two payment methods
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/facepalm.gif
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6084|SC | USA |
Hey I'm writing a guide on how to drive, but I don't understand the difference between the clutch and accelerator. Halp?
CammRobb
Banned

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Hey I'm writing a guide on how to drive, but I don't understand the difference between the clutch and accelerator. Halp?
Hilarious. Go fuck yourself. Sorry if I'm trying to put it in plain and simple English so OAPs can understand it...
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

steelie34 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

wat

paypal wrote:

This is absolute bollocks. Total and utter bullshit. Sorry steelie, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I've dealt with Paypal, for both business and personal uses and paying directly from your bank account is just as safe as paying with a debit/credit card. Why? Because Paypal protects you on the both ends, whatever you use. You get screwed over? It's still a Paypal transaction, therefore the legalities involved with debit/credit card transactions and bank account transaction are null and void - unless you want to pursue it directly with your bank, which is stupid when recovering the money via Paypal is easier. Your transaction is authorised by Paypal and therefore it is their responsibility to protect you.

If someone hacks your Paypal account, they can use the bank account or credit card on that account sure, but they cannot retrieve the details of them. Absolutely impossible.

Also, you have to note that to have a proper verified Paypal account (if you want to accept money properly and all that) you MUST have a bank account linked to the account.

People don't seem to understand the debit card agreement or anything else related for that matter regarding Paypal or payments. You're safe as long as you have proof or a solid enough case to say that someone has taken money out of your account illegally.

Paypal is safe either way, so please, learn about all of this before you go and tell someone else that they're wrong.

Also, both transactions - Debit and bank, can take days to clear. This is entirely the Banks call and has NOTHING to do with how Paypal clear the charges.
steelie34
pub hero!
hey, i'm just quoting off of paypal's website.  and it's common sense to keep your bank info as private as possible.  why would you want to spread around your account number to a bunch of websites that could possibly get hacked?  fuck paypal's protection policies, what if some jaded employee steals all the bank account info and withdraws the cash some other way?  i'd rather be safe than sorry.

if some nigerian has your credit or debit card, there are certain bank protections in place to stop them from bleeding you without them noticing.  but if they have your direct account info, they can just straight up transfer the money out of your account, and you're fucked.

Last edited by steelie34 (2010-05-15 16:34:47)

GR34
+215|6515|ALBERTA> CANADA
I can set it up so paypal will use my debit card? I wish I had Known sooner
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
cammy is using paypal to buy world of warcraft

he's unstoppable
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Uzique wrote:

cammy is using paypal to buy world of warcraft

he's unstoppable
* until teh money runs out. he's scottish, amirite?
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Detail the differences between paypal payment methods please.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard