lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

Ottomania wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Thats just horrible. How the fuck they can open fire on people without a single hesitation?
Am I the only one noticing all of the outraged armchair quarterbacking over this? Yet, not a single thread expressing outrage over the embassy bombings in Pakistan and Baghdad.

In this video (in real time, not analyzed time after the fact) these guys clearly thought they were engaging insurgents with weapons.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

Iconic Irony wrote:

You people are idiots.

If they hadn't shot them and they turned out to be insurgents and then later bombed a market, the pilots would have been called idiots for not shooting them.

Excuse the fuck out of the pilots for not being able to differentiate between a camera on a sling and an AK-47 on a sling from 1000 feet up while circling at 100mph.  I mean seriously, I had the ability to pause this shit and zoom in and I couldn't tell the difference, if it hadn't of been for the commentary and description of events I would have never known.
Hajji shouldn't have been hanging out in a large group with huge slings. Should've stayed the fuck out of a combat zone.

When on duty, assume every hajji is out to kill you and mortar you at night.
True.

But if Hajji turns out to be some regular people and kids, don't expect everyone to jump on your dick and defend you for killing civilians and kids. Well except on bf2s from the usual wannabe hard men.

I sympathise with the situation that soldiers face, mistakes happen, that don't mean I don't expect them to face the consequences of their actions if things go wrong. We all know what kind of war it is and what kind of society we operate in. It's can be a very thankless job if things go wrong. Just the reality of war.

I don't understand why people don't apply the same "shit happens" logic they apply to the accidental deaths of civilians to the consequences soldiers face for killing them.

There's no need to defend these people so much, they made mistakes, killed a bunch of civilians and they will have to face the music. Tough job but that's how the god damn war is. It's why I don't really get upset at stories of civilians dying and soldiers getting punished. I get more upset at the fact that these civilians and soldiers are put in these situations in the first place.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5276|foggy bottom

Beduin wrote:

So... You agree it is fucked up there, right? It is so fucked up that we are comparing ourselves with "freedom fighters". Saying look.... they are doing it too... it is a bad place, thats how things goes down there"...yes?
war sucks.  you and the bunch of monkey sheeple like you who decide to choose what to be outraged over and ignore other things just as relevent, just as bad, need to do the world a favor and stick your heads in an oven.  or, just admit you are completely one sided on an issue.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-04-05 14:47:24)

Tu Stultus Es
ruisleipa
+149|6239|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Thats just horrible. How the fuck they can open fire on people without a single hesitation?
Am I the only one noticing all of the outraged armchair quarterbacking over this? Yet, not a single thread expressing outrage over the embassy bombings in Pakistan and Baghdad.

In this video (in real time, not analyzed time after the fact) these guys clearly thought they were engaging insurgents with weapons.
Start a thread on those bombings and I'll happily be outraged over them too.

eleven bravo wrote:

war sucks.  you and the bunch of monkey sheeple like you who decide to choose what to be outraged over and ignore other things just as relevent, just as bad, need to do the world a favor and stick your heads in an oven.
not ignoring them, but this thread is about helicopter pilots shooting a bunch of civvies and journos.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-04-05 14:47:25)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Beduin wrote:

So... You agree it is fucked up there, right? It is so fucked up that we are comparing ourselves with "freedom fighters". Saying look.... they are doing it too... it is a bad place, thats how things goes down there"...yes?
No. I am just trying to help you discern the difference between believable and unbelievable.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5767|شمال

Kmarion wrote:

Beduin wrote:

No. I just trying to help you discern the difference between believable and unbelievable.
That was not unbelievable. I would say that was something we are used to see/hear.

It is normal, thats the claim here?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
CC-Marley
+407|6845

Ottomania wrote:

Vilham wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

shooting at unamred civilians and children? noooooo...nothing wrong there. good show pilots!
1. Those pilots have to react instantly, they don't have time to send the video back, let it be analyzed for a few hours then open fire.
2. Those straps on the cameras from several hundred feet up will look just the same as any guns strap.
3. Two of them DID have AKs.
4. The guy who sat on the corner pointing something up at the choppers is A, an insurgent with a RPG. B, a fucking moron for sitting in a hidden position pointing something at someone who is on the lookout for people trying to kill him.
You have a good imagination, there was no one with RPG.
Around 3:47 there may have been a RPG. The two guys who stop walking, the guy on the left. He kind of swings the weapon.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5276|foggy bottom
yeah, pretty normal to end up hurt or killed if you happen to find yourself in a crowd full of insurgents at the wrong time.  thats pretty fucking normal
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6724|67.222.138.85
2:02 is no hesitation? That's an itchy trigger finger?
Beduin
+510|5767|شمال

eleven bravo wrote:

Beduin wrote:

war sucks.  you and the bunch of monkey sheeple like you who decide to choose what to be outraged over and ignore other things just as relevent, just as bad, need to do the world a favor and stick your heads in an oven.  or, just admit you are completely one sided on an issue.
relax, easy now. You are not in a battlefield, soldier! You are free.. time to be human!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mekstizzle
WALKER
In that sense that's where the respect comes from, these people go into these fucked up wars where guys dressed in civvies shoot at their face and yet if they end up killing a civvie then that could be it for them. They know that but will still do the job. I'll admit that most of the time they will get away with it, though. So there's not that much pressure to get it right, but it still can be a very thankless job.

I can sympathise with a soldier on the ground getting startled by someone around a corner and things going wrong, but not by a bunch of people in a helicopter with explosive rounds taking out THAT many people. For me it's like; for them and everyone else involved, thanks for your service, you fucked up big time though, so you gotta face the music I'm afraid. Reality of war.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6783|UK

ruisleipa wrote:

Vilham wrote:

sorry but its pretty much impossible to debate this with children who don't realise the pressure a pilot is under in situations like that. Fucking armchair soldier.

I even stated that the fact that the military tried to cover it up was wrong. So, fuck you.

The pilots did nothing wrong here. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the UN.
oh yeah?

Where in that video did they claim to have encountered a fire fight? O wait they didn't, everything they said over the voice comms to command was true. So the entire basis for claiming the pilots did something that was against the rules of engagement, is wrong.

If ever I have seen propaganda that guardian article is it. Which surprises me because normally their articles are pretty balanced.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Beduin wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Beduin wrote:

No. I just trying to help you discern the difference between believable and unbelievable.
That was not unbelievable. I would say that was something we are used to see/hear.

It is normal, thats the claim here?
Morally speaking, what is unbelievable is tying up a family and executing children in front of their parents.

Engaging someone who has a weapon looking at you from behind a corner in war.. not.so.much.
capiche?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Vilham wrote:

...everything they said over the voice comms to command was true.
So, there was an RPG?  How many AK-47's again?
Flaming_Maniac
I wish everyone could see what war would be like if first world nations tied up their technology so thoroughly in the bureaucracy of avoiding civilian casualties that even when groups of people openly carrying weapons are considered no-go targets.

It's not that civilian casualties don't suck. But when everyone collectively pisses their pants when they see the 1% of the time that the reasonable call was in error while ignoring the 99% of the time the call is correct and lives are saved, that is a fucked up world. Utterly entranced by individual incidences and unaware or even worse uncaring of the overall trends.
Beduin
+510|5767|شمال

Kmarion wrote:

Morally speaking, what is unbelievable is tying up a family and executing children in front of their parents.

Engaging someone who has a weapon looking at you from behind a corner in war.. not.so.much.
capiche?
here you go again. Always compare the forces with insurgents. eleven bravo said it, war sucks. Nothing to see here, move along!
this attitude has led us to where we are at now, and it is not a good place to be.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mekstizzle
WALKER
So does anyone have any responses to my posts or are all of you guys going to be either defending the soldiers to your hardest or condemning them all like hell

Can anyone not just stop and think, these guys might have stepped over the line, something ought to happen, even if you take into the reality of war. Or like I say, the consequences of accidentally killing civilians is a huge aspect of the very reality of this war in the first place. Sitting in that court martial or whatever is the same reality as sitting in a HMMVW manning the .50 cal or whatever.

FM wrote:

I wish everyone could see what war would be like if first world nations tied up their technology so thoroughly in the bureaucracy of avoiding civilian casualties that even when groups of people openly carrying weapons are considered no-go targets.

It's not that civilian casualties don't suck. But when everyone collectively pisses their pants when they see the 1% of the time that the reasonable call was in error while ignoring the 99% of the time the call is correct and lives are saved, that is a fucked up world. Utterly entranced by individual incidences and unaware or even worse uncaring of the overall trends.
It's not fucked up at all, it's the complete reality of this war. The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yes, war sucks.  Innocents die.  Same way I can accept one innocent sent to death row for every 99 truly guilty.  Cover-up, well, I have an issue.  Admit the wrong call and move on.
Flaming_Maniac
I practically directly responded to your post. How you can say "The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways." and then say the soldiers should be court-martialed out the other side of your mouth I don't even understand. They did everything right.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

Vilham wrote:

I see nothing that pilots did wrong.
shooting at unamred civilians and children? noooooo...nothing wrong there. good show pilots!
Could've mistaken the camera equipment for weapons very easily. The pilots didn't do anything wrong.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6783|UK

Ilocano wrote:

Vilham wrote:

So you are really trying to claim that guy holding that black object aimed at the chopper round a corner didn't look like an AT? Because it certainly did to me, sitting comfortably in my room not under any kind of threat. So now consider that your sitting in a piece of metal in the sky, you have been shot at dozens of times over your tour, you have seconds to decide if it is a AT or you might die....

The exact number of AKs is irrelevant, as you well know. Stop playing stupid. I saw what could have been 5 AKs when i watched it, which I believe is how many the pilot said.

The pilots did not lie to their command.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6783|UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

So does anyone have any responses to my posts or are all of you guys going to be either defending the soldiers to your hardest or condemning them all like hell

Can anyone not just stop and think, these guys might have stepped over the line, something ought to happen, even if you take into the reality of war. Or like I say, the consequences of accidentally killing civilians is a huge aspect of the very reality of this war in the first place. Sitting in that court martial or whatever is the same reality as sitting in a HMMVW manning the .50 cal or whatever.

FM wrote:

It's not fucked up at all, it's the complete reality of this war. The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways.
If it was as you suggested earlier then we would be in the exact position that you just quoted of FM. No soldier would ever fire their gun just in case. Its why there are rules of engagement and why if someone acts within them like the pilots did then there are no repercussions.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I practically directly responded to your post. How you can say "The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways." and then say the soldiers should be court-martialed out the other side of your mouth I don't even understand. They did everything right.
I said people should accept that soldiers should or could be in a court martial in the same way they accept that civilians die in wars. Despite any contradiction that involves. Because it's the reality of this war, as people in this topic bring up.
Flaming_Maniac

Mekstizzle wrote:

Despite any contradiction that involves.
What a supremely ridiculous sentence.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Vilham wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Vilham wrote:

So you are really trying to claim that guy holding that black object aimed at the chopper round a corner didn't look like an AT? Because it certainly did to me, sitting comfortably in my room not under any kind of threat. So now consider that your sitting in a piece of metal in the sky, you have been shot at dozens of times over your tour, you have seconds to decide if it is a AT or you might die....

The exact number of AKs is irrelevant, as you well know. Stop playing stupid. I saw what could have been 5 AKs when i watched it, which I believe is how many the pilot said.

The pilots did not lie to their command.
Yeah, because an RPG at that range could take out an Apache.

I admit, that stance was stupid, but it is actually a very common photographic stance.  I don't know about you, but I point my lens up when I'm in a crouched position between taking shots.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-04-05 15:08:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard