Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

Poseidon wrote:

wat

StephenTotilo — The makers of such acclaimed single-player video games as Portal and Half-Life 2 want all of their future games to support connected, non-solo gaming, in some way, at all levels.

That assertion first appeared in the Final Hours of Portal 2, journalist Geoff Keighley's recent behind-the-scenes chronicle about Valve's newest game. It's an assertion he told me he heard directly from Valve founder Gabe Newell and the company's project manager Erik Johnson.

"Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience," Keighley wrote in Final Hours, "What this all means is something Newell is still trying to figure out."
Keighley told me that he considered the comment "curious," noting that the quality of the solo-only main campaign of Portal 2 was a fantastic piece of work. (I've checked with Valve on this, but they didn't reply by press time.) The signs that solo-only modes are on their way are there, not just from within Valve but all around the pioneering games company
So Ep 3 and HL3 will have MP? Fuck that.
This just in:

Gaben wrote:

I think what we're trying to talk about is the fact is not that we're not thinking about single-player games-Portal 2 I think is a pretty good example of what we've learned over the years in terms of how to create those [single-player] experiences.

It's more that we think that we have to work harder in the future. That entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends, by recognizing that you're connected with other people.

Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and wanted to have that connected as well.

It's not about giving up on single-player at all. It's saying we actually think there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially connected gamer. Every gamer has instant messaging, every gamer has a Facebook account. If you pretend that that doesn't exist, you're ignoring the problems that you're taking on.

It's single-player plus, not ‘no more single-player.'
Well it's a relief that they're not abandoning singleplayer but I'm still not sure about that whole thing. Singleplayer games offer a lot of the best gaming experiences.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i was really disappointed with this. i've only played about an hour's worth but i can't see much point playing any more. the start section is a copy and paste of portal 1 and the writing and 'comedy' is absolutely painful to experience. merchant seems like a disastrous casting choice to me. hundreds of hours of listening to the ricky gervais show + using a swarthy farming accent for a robot aid (???) just completely loses the point for me. the game looks better, sure, but it also feels a lot more clunky for me. not enjoying it at all... another notch in the ever-growing bedpost of 'valve disappointment'.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
should i try this game out? i enjoy little big planet land and fps, sadly have not even clicked on this. i guess the name sounds gay. The Door.
mikkel
+383|6571

Uzique wrote:

i was really disappointed with this. i've only played about an hour's worth but i can't see much point playing any more. the start section is a copy and paste of portal 1 and the writing and 'comedy' is absolutely painful to experience. merchant seems like a disastrous casting choice to me. hundreds of hours of listening to the ricky gervais show + using a swarthy farming accent for a robot aid (???) just completely loses the point for me. the game looks better, sure, but it also feels a lot more clunky for me. not enjoying it at all... another notch in the ever-growing bedpost of 'valve disappointment'.
I wanted to uninstall as well. Thankfully he plays a much smaller part in the best parts of the game, and they're worth sitting through the misery for.
mikkel
+383|6571
Also,

This is how it should have been.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

Uzique wrote:

I've noticed that basically everyone in Britain (my brother liked him about as much as you guys) finds him annoying, and everyone in the US thinks he's amazing.

Anyway yeah as stated, you don't see him for a lot of it.

Personally I think he has some great moments and some "Wheatley, just shut up " moments.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-05-08 08:51:52)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i'm from near bristol so for me that casting decision is just unforgivably poorly researched (or rather ignorant). it's like casting a guy from france as the 'bad british villain' in a movie. the accent just stands out as being entirely inappropriate and not suiting the stereotype/character at all. of course i suppose it's a grumble only a certain portion of british people could make... but still. it just doesn't make any sense to me. and the writing is godawfully shit. so bad that i went to their staff page to see where their writing/creative staff were educated. i was dismayed at how bad it was. it reads like an undergraduate trying very hard to pen a 'humour' piece. contrivance is a keyword.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
I remember when Dad started playing he was talking about "The annoying blue ball" and I didn't know what he was talking about at first. I laughed when I realised.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
do you get it where movement feels bulkier, too? it's hard to explain the feeling. in portal 1 it felt like the movement and the engine were pretty responsive and quick... nimble, i guess you could say. in portal 2 for me it feels like my character is carrying around 38GG tits or something... really slow and heavy. kind of like the difference between bf2 movement and bc2 movement. just doesn't feel as good or as natural.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
The only complaint I had with the movement was the removal of crouch jumping. It made getting into awkward Portals clunky and difficult.
mikkel
+383|6571
One thing that bothers me is the auto-assist when falling into portals. Many times I found myself stopping dead in mid air and losing all momentum because I was flying over a portal. It breaks some of the more creative ways around puzzles.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Never experienced either problem, tbh.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6619|Washington DC

So far, through Chapter 4, I've found the game much easier than Portal 1 (much, much greater margin for error), puzzles very obvious and not at all challenging, and the humor dull.  I just want it to be over.  The game environment is much, much better than Portal 1 ... but that's not why I want to play this game.

I've heard it gets better now that I've started hearing Cave Johnson ... I hope it gets better ...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've only been stumped once through the whole game, and it was an obvious bit of popping out of the floor logic. Ugh.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

OrangeHound wrote:

So far, through Chapter 4, I've found the game much easier than Portal 1 (much, much greater margin for error), puzzles very obvious and not at all challenging
Yes, they added an auto-portal aid thingie, which automatically sucks you into a portal if you're close to it.
I still remember that in Portal 1 I failed many a times because I missed a portal by a handbreadth.
Apparently, this can mess up your approaches in certain situations by sucking you into the wrong portal.

In the whole single-player campaign I never missed a single portal.

OrangeHound wrote:

I've heard it gets better now that I've started hearing Cave Johnson ... I hope it gets better ...
It definitely does.
The first part with the GLaDOS puzzles is basically Portal 1 revisited, which is way everything is so obvious and easy, if you've played the predecessor. Even the length seems to be roughly the same.

Only from the Cave Johnson part onwards, you're actually really playing Portal 2, both in regards to innovative new game mechanics as well as fun background story.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The easiness of the first part was most likely to get new players to the 'series' into it. Once you 'break out of it,' the story is allowed to continue.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.ph … 43&p=1

The beta version of the Portal 2 sdk has been released.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6619|Washington DC

The background story was good ... graphics good ... good that they introduced some new puzzle elements ... and, if you don't like to die, then it is also good.

But, still, Portal 2 has been clearly designed for a novice.  It is like playing COD4 on the easy setting.  I looked and looked for a "degree of difficulty" setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I'm not a good gamer, so I end up getting killed a dozen times in a game just trying to get around some barrier or through some challenge.  In Portal I probably died a hundred times.  Strangely, I loved the challenges that result in death ... it's part of the M.O. of Half Life.

In Portal 2?  I think I died 4 times, and 3 of those times was because I was shifting to the left or right to get a better view and accidentally fell off the edge of something to my death.  I actually made it through the final Mother of all Battles on the first try.  I've never done that in a game in my gaming life.

tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

OrangeHound wrote:

The background story was good ... graphics good ... good that they introduced some new puzzle elements ... and, if you don't like to die, then it is also good.

But, still, Portal 2 has been clearly designed for a novice.  It is like playing COD4 on the easy setting.  I looked and looked for a "degree of difficulty" setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I'm not a good gamer, so I end up getting killed a dozen times in a game just trying to get around some barrier or through some challenge.  In Portal I probably died a hundred times.  Strangely, I loved the challenges that result in death ... it's part of the M.O. of Half Life.

In Portal 2?  I think I died 4 times, and 3 of those times was because I was shifting to the left or right to get a better view and accidentally fell off the edge of something to my death.  I actually made it through the final Mother of all Battles on the first try.  I've never done that in a game in my gaming life.

I agree,

Co-op is the highlight of Portal 2.

Now you've played it, you should watch yahtzee's take on Zero Punctuation, too.

I hope there is a Portal 2: Prelude, or of the sought. That shit was fucking amazing. EditL Especially with the mod tools now released, one can assume there will be something of that nature

Last edited by tazz. (2011-05-13 08:43:48)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6314

OrangeHound wrote:

I just realised your avatar is the ass of a dog, not its head with sunglasses on.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State

OrangeHound wrote:

So far, through Chapter 4, I've found the game much easier than Portal 1 (much, much greater margin for error), puzzles very obvious and not at all challenging, and the humor dull.  I just want it to be over.  The game environment is much, much better than Portal 1 ... but that's not why I want to play this game.

was easier...

no challenge maps either, :<

challenge maps were great
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
http://kotaku.com/5802908/portal-2-find … -to-offend

WHY DOES NEWS MEDIA CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT THINGS THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT CONCERNING VIDEO GAMES.

/capslock

I bet Fox News is still trying to rile up another story about the alien side boob from Mass Effect.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Poseidon wrote:

http://kotaku.com/5802908/portal-2-finds-a-way-to-offend

WHY DOES NEWS MEDIA CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT THINGS THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT CONCERNING VIDEO GAMES.

/capslock

I bet Fox News is still trying to rile up another story about the alien side boob from Mass Effect.
What's new about that? Just more chubby morons sitting around a table having a contrived town hall about a game clip taken way out of context. Sorry if they missed it, but Wheatley and GLaDOS aren't exactly role models, nor were they ever meant to be.

e: The game has a boody E10+ rating. Get a clue. Pokes at adoption can also be found on PG-13 flicks.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Oh man, that's just retarded.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's not just retarded; it's slander.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard