Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,741|4516|Banoi, PNG

FloppY_ wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

fuggin hell could i be less excited about this massively hyped game that has been coming out for what, five years or something? it had better be the best game ever and not just for starcraft fanboys...of which there are gazillions of course...
Protip: If blizzard says it is out Q2 2010 it will most likely be out Q3 2011...

but yeah, overhyped game is overhyped...
Games that are expected to be absolutely awesome, rarely are...
Unless they're Blizzard games. Those guys have always delivered for me, even if I don't play WoW.

RTHKI wrote:

I just played Starcraft for the first time last week lol.... Fun, but I suck. I like taking my time, a lot of time, with strategy games, which the ai doesnt let me do...

I agree with TimmmmaaaaH, SC2 just looks like an upgraded SC to me, and not the best potential upgrade either.... although people say you can't improve on perfection  
How many new units are there? and Balancing, Sisco? How much time have they had for that? Especially with the first one being so great n such, im guessing it was well balanced...

Probably won't get as there are plenty of other games I am more interested in atm.
I think they don't really want to fix what isn't broken with SC2. So instead of radically revamping the thing, they're adding on some new units, tinkering with functionality (submersible supply depots) and really focusing on balance for multiplayer and immersion for the campaign. From all the videos I've seen, this should be fairly successful at all of the above, if not polished to perfection like Starcraft 1's years of patching.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-02-23 20:32:14)

TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|4184|Brisbane, Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think they don't really want to fix what isn't broken with SC2. So instead of radically revamping the thing, they're adding on some new units, tinkering with functionality (submersible supply depots) and really focusing on balance for multiplayer and immersion for the campaign. From all the videos I've seen, this should be fairly successful at all of the above, if not polished to perfection like Starcraft 1's years of patching.
I agree, and I dont think its a bad thing to do it that way.

I just find the hype machine and reasons for it being so delayed stupid.

And comments like "you just dont understand starcraft".
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California
unless you guys have played in the beta
dont judge
Brasso
member
+1,549|4375

"you" don't understand starcraft because it's not about graphics.  it never was and never will be. 

what defines starcraft is balance, balance, balance.  when you have three races that are completely different in every single aspect, that's not an easy criterion to fill.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
ruisleipa
Member
+149|3966|teh FIN-land

haffeysucks wrote:

"you" don't understand starcraft because it's not about graphics.  it never was and never will be. 

what defines starcraft is balance, balance, balance.  when you have three races that are completely different in every single aspect, that's not an easy criterion to fill.
no it's not about balance but there's not much new here except the snazzier graphics. Many units are the same as in the first one, and OK there's shiteloads of 'balance' but they spent years working on this y'know? Still it's gonna be a massive hit whatever way you look at it. Personally I'm hoping for a kick-ass SP mode cos MP games seem to take about 8 hours so far...or maybe thats cos I'm a bit crap.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,741|4516|Banoi, PNG

ruisleipa wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

"you" don't understand starcraft because it's not about graphics.  it never was and never will be. 

what defines starcraft is balance, balance, balance.  when you have three races that are completely different in every single aspect, that's not an easy criterion to fill.
no it's not about balance but there's not much new here except the snazzier graphics. Many units are the same as in the first one, and OK there's shiteloads of 'balance' but they spent years working on this y'know? Still it's gonna be a massive hit whatever way you look at it. Personally I'm hoping for a kick-ass SP mode cos MP games seem to take about 8 hours so far...or maybe thats cos I'm a bit crap.
The both of you:

When Starcraft came out, it was visually impressive. It just so happened to be fairly balanced. As the game grew older and patchier, that's when it became all about balance. In comparison, Starcraft 2 is still visually impressive. It may not outdo games like Crysis in terms of sheer visual brilliance, but they've kept the interface and camera extraordinarily clean. The 3d graphics that some perceive to be inferior to other games are in truth an homage to Starcraft 1. Style is more important than technology, and I can tell you that the vast majority of Blizzard gamers aren't going to be all that upset about it.

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think they don't really want to fix what isn't broken with SC2. So instead of radically revamping the thing, they're adding on some new units, tinkering with functionality (submersible supply depots) and really focusing on balance for multiplayer and immersion for the campaign. From all the videos I've seen, this should be fairly successful at all of the above, if not polished to perfection like Starcraft 1's years of patching.
I agree, and I dont think its a bad thing to do it that way.

I just find the hype machine and reasons for it being so delayed stupid.

And comments like "you just dont understand starcraft".
Blizzard's rightly trying to expand the audience for Starcraft 2 as much as possible. You can always disregard the hype, if you so choose.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-02-24 13:59:45)

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|4319|London
Can someone who's got the beta comment on how it's doing?
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|4155|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
This is from Tim at CTRL+ALT+DEL

TimCAD wrote:

I think I've mentioned before that I just don't have the mindset to play RTS' competitively. I'm too much of an "amass and destroy" player, and that doesn't hold up against the "lololololrush" strategies. There was a time about eight years ago when I was playing a lot of Starcraft, and managed to accrue a pretty respectable winning record of games, but I was mostly playing 3v3 Big Game Hunters.

3v3 or even 4v4 works well for me, because I have a 75% chance that the enemy is going to harass someone else, and let me do my thing. I also used to turtle off the bat with Terran Bunkers at the chokepoint which, nine times out of ten, was enough to hold off that initial Zergling assault and let me get a formidible force built up.

I tried that in Starcraft 2 and the new Terran Jetpack Marines taught me a lesson or two about base vulnerability.

What's really nice about Starcraft 2 is the replay function, which records your games and lets you watch them at your leisure. If you play against a really good player, you can go back and see what he did that worked so well. So if you're willing to watch replays of your face getting melted, you can usually learn something, either what to do or what not to do.

Overall though, I'm incredible impressed with Starcraft 2. The new BattleNET is super slick, and I can't wait for the social aspect to be integrated into WoW, as well as having Diablo 3 on it.

Starcraft retains the Starcraft feel in nearly every aspect, while delivering an experience that feels updated and fresh. I may suck at the game, but I sure do love it.
As for graphics for SC2, if they can pull off what Dawn of War has or better, I will be very pleased
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California
sc2 is about gameplay and esports. i don't think they care too much about the graphics as those are for the noobs
lulz
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|4184|Brisbane, Australia

fuck sake.

Where have I once complained about the graphics or said thats why it will be bad. (I havent even mentioned how I think the visual style of the first game was much much better than this one, which has adopted blizzards cartoony bright vibrant style rather than SC1's grittier dirtier style)

I just said for a game that has taken this long it doesnt look very visually impressive. Adding a few new units would take time to balance, yes, but there is time then there is time.

Too much ridiculous elitism and second coming bullshit surrounding this game. I am personally looking forward to playing it, as I played SC1 and BW a lot when I was younger.

Explain to me how the aim of any game is not balance and good gameplay.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
ruisleipa
Member
+149|3966|teh FIN-land

Aries_37 wrote:

Can someone who's got the beta comment on how it's doing?

ruisleipa wrote:

no it's not only about balance but there's not much new here except the snazzier graphics. Many units are the same as in the first one, and OK there's shiteloads of 'balance' but they spent years working on this y'know? So there should be. Still it's gonna be a massive hit whatever way you look at it. Personally I'm hoping for a kick-ass SP mode cos MP games seem to take about 8 hours so far...or maybe thats cos I'm a bit crap.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California
fuck yes, i am going fucking pro on this game omfggg
https://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4109/ddddddddda.jpg

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-02-27 00:36:51)

VicktorVauhn
Member
+319|4136|Southern California
wtf? 64,000 crystals?
Build more shit.
ruisleipa
Member
+149|3966|teh FIN-land
This game is now officially overrated..even before release.

Not impressed at all tbh, especially after such a long wait.

Diablo 2 better be kickass.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|4088

ruisleipa wrote:

This game is now officially overrated..even before release.

Not impressed at all tbh, especially after such a long wait.

Diablo 2 better be kickass.
I heard Diablo 2 kicked some serious ass...
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4419|Canberra, AUS

ruisleipa wrote:

This game is now officially overrated..even before release.

Not impressed at all tbh, especially after such a long wait.

Diablo 2 better be kickass.
quite behind the times, c/d?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|4524|Great Brown North

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

fuck yes, i am going fucking pro on this game omfggg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4109/ddddddddda.jpg
an asian playing starcraft? NOWAI




i never liked starcraft... surely i can't be the only one?
Spidery_Yoda
UWRyj5cHIQA
+397|4014
What's really nice about Starcraft 2 is the replay function, which records your games and lets you watch them at your leisure. If you play against a really good player, you can go back and see what he did that worked so well. So if you're willing to watch replays of your face getting melted, you can usually learn something, either what to do or what not to do.
Does he think that's a new feature to RTS games?

Anyway. I'm not very interested in SC2. I've only played the first one once or twice and it didn't look my kind of RTS at all.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2010-02-27 06:05:53)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|4088

krazed wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

fuck yes, i am going fucking pro on this game omfggg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4109/ddddddddda.jpg
an asian playing starcraft? NOWAI




i never liked starcraft... surely i can't be the only one?
Nah, I´m with you on this one. Its way to twitchy for an RTS.
I played the SP for several times though. Blizzard was always great at telling stories and making cutscenes.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|3378|Southern California
If you guys get a beta key fucking sell it.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr … Categories

I've seen one go to $485!
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California
dude im selling my beta key lol... im running on a crack lulz

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-02-27 09:29:25)

ruisleipa
Member
+149|3966|teh FIN-land

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

dude im selling my beta key lol... im running on a crack lulz
by the looks of things you've used it already...so no sell, sorry.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California

ruisleipa wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

dude im selling my beta key lol... im running on a crack lulz
by the looks of things you've used it already...so no sell, sorry.
um? sorry but i didnt get a beta key, i'm using a crack that requires no key, all you need is the launcher and the sc2 beta to play
ruisleipa
Member
+149|3966|teh FIN-land

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

dude im selling my beta key lol... im running on a crack lulz
by the looks of things you've used it already...so no sell, sorry.
um? sorry but i didnt get a beta key, i'm using a crack that requires no key, all you need is the launcher and the sc2 beta to play
oh right. Didn't understand your post then.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|4110|California

ruisleipa wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

by the looks of things you've used it already...so no sell, sorry.
um? sorry but i didnt get a beta key, i'm using a crack that requires no key, all you need is the launcher and the sc2 beta to play
oh right. Didn't understand your post then.
sorry should have stated it clearer
but in other words, the new crack is launched and now I can play against A.I., hopefully by the end of March their will be a private battle net 2.0 server

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-02-28 17:16:35)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2018 Jeff Minard