FloppY_
­
+1,010|6439|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
I just picked this baby up

Pew Pew
https://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4146/250pxpewpewcropped.png

It does 189dps and uses 15 normal laser pistol "shots" per shot, giving it two shots per 30 shot clip... hence: pew pew...

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|5121|Dundee, Scotland.

FloppY_ wrote:

Pew Pew
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4146 … ropped.png

It does 189dps and uses 15 normal laser pistol "shots" per shot, giving it two shots per 30 shot clip... hence: pew pew...

the fuck is that
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
GR34
+215|6698|ALBERTA> CANADA

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Pew Pew

the fuck is that
where and how?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6838|United States of America

Poseidon wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

8.75/10 so far. Not better than FO3 in terms of story/setting, but in terms of content alone it destroys FO3.
What??? The story/setting is far better than FO3. 3 was just going into variations of the same metro station/industrial building over and over again, and the story didn't have very much variation in it, whereas here you can choose to destroy any number of factions should you so desire.
DC is a MUCH better setting than the Mojave Desert. The only interesting place in NV is The Strip. In DC you had The Capitol, the White House (though a crater), the Washington Monument, The Lincoln/Jefferson Memorials, Arlington Cemetary.. so many national landmarks. It was almost surreal to see them in ruin. In NV, not so much. So setting definitely goes to FO3.

In terms of story... I believe I've mentioned this before, but the fact that you really connect to your character in FO3 is what pulled me into it. In NV it's just like "sup you're some guy, you got shot in the head, kill matthew perry". In FO3 you see your own birth... and Liam Neeson's beautiful voice is there to guide you along the birth canal.
Apparently you developed some emotional connection to the character, somehow, for some reason. It's not surreal to see national monuments in ruins, it's just a gimmick that's supposed to make it interesting so you go check it out. Vegas at least makes sense (why the fuck were there scorpions in DC?) and has a neat Western feel to it.
Fallout 3 doesn't connect to the character at all. You sit through all the boring shit teaching you to play inside the vault and then one day it's all---Dad's leaving for some reason, go find him when you feel like it. In Vegas, you're intrigued and have questions about what Benny's saying before you get a cap popped in you, so you start playing with "Where is that son of a bitch?!?!?! I'm gonna kill him."
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6621
Tempenny Tower, yeah I'll give you that but there still wasn't much interesting going on there.

Big Town was quite the opposite of what its name implies, small. So was Underworld, Canterbury Commons, Republic of Dave and Girdershade. Too small to be really interesting. I said in my post, the Mojave's 188 Trading post is similar to these settlements in terms of size and importance, and it's one of the smallest settlements in the game.

Lamplight was shit because it only had kids in it, it was hard to navigate, it was out of the way and the only thing you could do there was walk through it for the main quest.

Mutantbear wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

The Capital was to dead. It was a skeleton, bare, cold and empty.
Thats the point
That's an entirely different point. I wasn't talking about the atmosphere of the place, I was talking about how the wasteland is really, just plain empty.
FloppY_
­

GR34 wrote:

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Pew Pew

the fuck is that
where and how?
https://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101020162458/fallout/images/b/b8/Star_cap.png
x51

(http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_the_Star)

And no, I didn't use a guide to find out where to get the caps!!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6624
my only complaint is that the game is so visually uninteresting
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

my only complaint is that the game is so visually uninteresting
Isn't it enough to complain about that in one thread?

Most of us like it, though yes, at some points it's mostly shades of brown, but then again, without manmade objects, thats mostly what a desert area looks like no?
FloppY_
­

Tempenny Tower, yeah I'll give you that but there still wasn't much interesting going on there.

Big Town was quite the opposite of what its name implies, small. So was Underworld, Canterbury Commons, Republic of Dave and Girdershade. Too small to be really interesting. I said in my post, the Mojave's 188 Trading post is similar to these settlements in terms of size and importance, and it's one of the smallest settlements in the game.

Lamplight was shit because it only had kids in it, it was hard to navigate, it was out of the way and the only thing you could do there was walk through it for the main quest.

Mutantbear wrote:

Thats the point
That's an entirely different point. I wasn't talking about the atmosphere of the place, I was talking about how the wasteland is really, just plain empty.
You mentioned novac, jacobstown, goodsprings and primm

they arn't much bigger tbh...

I'm kinda in between, liked both games, both have something the other lacks, but both are great games imo...
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6118|London, England

Mutantbear wrote:

Thats the point
It is empty
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6621
Not bigger than Megaton or Rivet City, but compared to the other secondary settlements they are much bigger. Which is why I keep bring up the 188, it's much small, empty and uninteresting, and it's exactly like all the settlements in FO3, save the big ones. FO3 had 3 settlements that were of any real note, and even then they were no where near as many places in NV.
FloppY_
­

Not bigger than Megaton or Rivet City, but compared to the other secondary settlements they are much bigger. Which is why I keep bring up the 188, it's much small, empty and uninteresting, and it's exactly like all the settlements in FO3, save the big ones. FO3 had 3 settlements that were of any real note, and even then they were no where near as many places in NV.
Well Fallout 3 had a ton of small neat stuff which I haven't seen much off in Vegas, such as the rube goldberg device in an old shop

or the small details like the gardengnome chess game, launching nukes from an orbital platform etc.

EDIT: And the 188 trade-post is probably the most usefull place you can go, seeing as you can get FAR better weapons than what you find untill then from the gun-runners or that arms-dealer chick..

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-10-26 18:10:15)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6895|FUCK UBISOFT

FloppY_ wrote:

Well Fallout 3 had a ton of small neat stuff which I haven't seen much off in Vegas, such as the rube goldberg device in an old shop

or the small details like the gardengnome chess game, launching nukes from an orbital platform etc.
by a ton do you mean almost none?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
FloppY_
­

Miggle wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

by a ton do you mean almost none?
What you didn't look much?

Nearly every map-marker had more than one little "easter-egg" or gimmick that was either fun or otherwise enjoyable just to discover...
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6621

FloppY_ wrote:

EDIT: And the 188 trade-post is probably the most usefull place you can go, seeing as you can get FAR better weapons than what you find untill then from the gun-runners or that arms-dealer chick..
NV has that shit also. Except most of it is actually connected to something. The thing you are getting to really was one of the bigger flaws of FO3, that most of the exploring was done for the sake of exploring, without any objective or reason.
FloppY_
­

FloppY_ wrote:

NV has that shit also. Except most of it is actually connected to something. The thing you are getting to really was one of the bigger flaws of FO3, that most of the exploring was done for the sake of exploring, without any objective or reason.
Well exploring is kinda the point when you.... explore... no?

Noone was holding a knife to your throat forcing you to stay on the main or side quests...

tl;dr I like both and while Vegas is obviously an upgrade, Fallout 3 wasn't bad at all...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6691|Long Island, New York

DesertFox- wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

What??? The story/setting is far better than FO3. 3 was just going into variations of the same metro station/industrial building over and over again, and the story didn't have very much variation in it, whereas here you can choose to destroy any number of factions should you so desire.
DC is a MUCH better setting than the Mojave Desert. The only interesting place in NV is The Strip. In DC you had The Capitol, the White House (though a crater), the Washington Monument, The Lincoln/Jefferson Memorials, Arlington Cemetary.. so many national landmarks. It was almost surreal to see them in ruin. In NV, not so much. So setting definitely goes to FO3.

In terms of story... I believe I've mentioned this before, but the fact that you really connect to your character in FO3 is what pulled me into it. In NV it's just like "sup you're some guy, you got shot in the head, kill matthew perry". In FO3 you see your own birth... and Liam Neeson's beautiful voice is there to guide you along the birth canal.
Apparently you developed some emotional connection to the character, somehow, for some reason. It's not surreal to see national monuments in ruins, it's just a gimmick that's supposed to make it interesting so you go check it out. Vegas at least makes sense (why the fuck were there scorpions in DC?) and has a neat Western feel to it.
Fallout 3 doesn't connect to the character at all. You sit through all the boring shit teaching you to play inside the vault and then one day it's all---Dad's leaving for some reason, go find him when you feel like it. In Vegas, you're intrigued and have questions about what Benny's saying before you get a cap popped in you, so you start playing with "Where is that son of a bitch?!?!?! I'm gonna kill him."
1) You've never developed an emotional connection to a character in a story, movie or TV show? Is it really that odd for me to develop an emotional connection to a character that is, by all essential means, supposed to represent myself (if I so choose)?
2) When monuments or figures are destroyed, whether fictional or non-fictional, it hits someone's emotions. You're saying if you saw your hometown being shelled in a depiction, you wouldn't feel anything? Interesting.
3) You start in a secluded environment and are suddenly thrust upon a world totally unknown to you. Perhaps we just see things differently, but the emotional elements involved in that are astounding. It's like growing up in a bubble, totally protected by the world... and one day, the bubble pops, and you're forced to face the cruel reality that there is still life upon the surface, as hard as it may be.

I don't know. To each his own. I felt FO3 had an awesome story that could've even made a proper novel. Credits to the Bethesda team, and of course Interplay/Black Isle for creating the universe in which a story like this could come into fruition.
Reciprocity
+721|6734|the dank(super) side of Oregon

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

So this thread seems pretty active given the small population of BF2s these days...how would you guys rank this game compared to Fallout 3?
overall? it's about the same.  FO3 has a more engaging macro-story while NV seems to have better micro-stories...if that makes any sense.  Weapons are more fun to mess with in NV.  The FO3 environment looks better while the NV environment is more engaging.  I don't miss spending endless hours underground.
FloppY_
­

Poseidon wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

1) You've never developed an emotional connection to a character in a story, movie or TV show? Is it really that odd for me to develop an emotional connection to a character that is, by all essential means, supposed to represent myself (if I so choose)?
2) When monuments or figures are destroyed, whether fictional or non-fictional, it hits someone's emotions. You're saying if you saw your hometown being shelled in a depiction, you wouldn't feel anything? Interesting.
3) You start in a secluded environment and are suddenly thrust upon a world totally unknown to you. Perhaps we just see things differently, but the emotional elements involved in that are astounding. It's like growing up in a bubble, totally protected by the world... and one day, the bubble pops, and you're forced to face the cruel reality that there is still life upon the surface, as hard as it may be.

I don't know. To each his own. I felt FO3 had an awesome story that could've even made a proper novel. Credits to the Bethesda team, and of course Interplay/Black Isle for creating the universe in which a story like this could come into fruition.
Kinda agree with poseidon on the story parts, FO3 captured me abit more from the beginning... that wasn't a good thing for replays though, having to wait through all that...
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6895|FUCK UBISOFT

FloppY_ wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Kinda agree with poseidon on the story parts, FO3 captured me abit more from the beginning... that wasn't a good thing for replays though, having to wait through all that...
not like it had replayability anyways
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6621
I still don't think that 3 had a better story than NV. It only managed to start off stronger. The end of the story of FO3 was just some lame thing about a bunch of bad guys who are bad for the sake of being bad against good guys who are good for the sake of being good. And the conflict is just plopped on the player half-way through the game, where as with NV the end battle is built up to since the opening cut scene.
Brasso
+1,549|6783

anyone else doing hardcore on a first run through?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FloppY_
­

Brasso wrote:

thank god no!
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6118|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

Apparently you developed some emotional connection to the character, somehow, for some reason.
You spend time with the character before the action starts. You saw him grow up and the people around you. You knew the life he lived and how small it really was. Things were simple and flowed at a slow, but safe pace. Then your only family left you without a word and shit around you started to not feel right. People's true intentions and lust for power started to appear and you find out that living in the Vault is a dead end way to live. You hear about how your dad was once on the outside and you hear stories of the freedom and mystery outside the walls of that prison, so you leave and try to find the one person that had truly cared about you. You arrive in the barren wasteland for the first time and it just seems so vast. Nothing makes sense and everything is new. The first people you meet are generally good people, they live simple lives in Megaton and they just try to get by.

You soon branch out and find different conflicts of the land. Nobody is happy with anyone and you notice that in the world of today people are cold hearted and ruthless. All you want to do is find your father and try to make sense of everything. Its a struggle of moral choice and finding out that there is more to be had in the world.

New Vegas begins with someone getting shot, you dont know who it is. You get a brief overview of factions and how this faction doesnt like this faction. You wake up and talk to a decent person for 5 minutes then leave. They try to play up the wasteland reveal by brightening up the screen. Oh look, its the wasteland that you were just in a day or two ago. Cool, not very dramatic. You meet a few forgettable characters who are douchebags so its natural to just leave them to their shit lives, then ask around about what happened to you. This character of yours came out of nothing, so you have no motivation in deciding what you want to do in this world. Did you have a family? Why were you a courier?

So you wander off seeking blind revenge, go from town to town meeting people that are either shitty to you or power hungry cocks. You start wonder if there is anything good in this world. Progressing through you meet groups that dont like other groups and all of them want superiority over the other. When you meet the person that killed you, you find out that he is just like everyone else in this world. This is the point in the game where I ask myself, why am I helping anyone in this world. Everyone is oppressive and unlikeable. I look at everything around me and see no hope for anybody. There is no hope. If I destroy one faction, another will just take its place. I want to continue the game with no involvement in any of this shit but the game forces you to do the dirty work for some other faction. Don't say that you can complete the game with an independent Vegas because you cant. I came to a point in the game where I could not continue unless I killed some faction.

I found that the game forced you into becoming a ruthless animal just like every shithead in Vegas and I didn't not find my character interesting after that. There is no choices in this game, the only choice is to be just like every other person in the wasteland. You don't feel connected to any of the factions and you wonder why your character is even playing this sick game.

Anyone that wanted to kill Benny is the reason why there cant be peace in the world today.

Last edited by Mutantbear (2010-10-26 18:48:42)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6502|Belfast

Brasso wrote:

I'm thinking about it. I'll get it this weekend when I get back from the US. Hardcore looks fun, I feel that I should do it on the second playthrough though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard