mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6665

I'm in need of a simple, basic mixing program. I have no intentions of making any groundbreaking new mixes or anything like that, I just want something more advanced than what I currently use (shitty Nero SoundTrax). I don't exactly mix in the epic way epic DJs do, but when I make a mixtape (yes, an actual cassette tape) or CD, I like to have some form of continuity if possible (and I normally spend so much time slaving away at track selection and ordering that I might as well mix them a little if possible). I'd be loading up mp3 files from my computer, no turntables connected, no CDs in the drive.

Obviously I'd prefer if it was automated, so I could tweak a few things, and then add more onto it should I see fit. (i.e. not doing things on-the-fly like a real DJ with real turntables). Some things I'd like to be able to mess around with: tempo/BPM, treble/bass/mids/etc., sampling maybe?

I'm willing to sacrifice extreme detail and specificity for something that's more user-/noob-friendly. (Don't want to have to spend months getting accustomed to the software, especially if it's something I'm just playing around with for my own time and it's not anything professional). Besides, I gotta start small and work my way up.

Thanks, all you music experts!

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-12-10 14:12:17)

Microwave
_
+515|6665|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I got one called Virtual DJ it's pretty fun to mess around with.
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6367|the Great British Queendom :)
I've got a pair of 1210's your more than welcome to borrow All I do is buy records then with my many years skill, mix them together and record using "Soundbooth" From Adobe. Quip.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
Traktor
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5644|Southern California

james@alienware wrote:

I got one called Virtual DJ it's pretty fun to mess around with.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6009|The Mitten
Ableton Live?

Alternatly, if you are just looking for a powerful editor, Audacity is really good.

I hear Krystal is good too, but i haven't messed with it too much
EE (hats
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5991|Toronto
Mixmeister is exactly what you need. Easy as pie.
I like pie.
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6367|the Great British Queendom :)
Yeah I'd have to say Virtual DJ tbh, it seems the most intuitive to me. But alas I would still try my hardest to get hold of the Vinyl and mix with that, much nicer feeling having something solid under your hand Pro's and Con's to the whole mixing thing, Digital media versus Analogue.
aimless
+166|6135|Texas
If you want to do all your automated stuff, try abelton live.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6463|The Twilight Zone

Uzique wrote:

Traktor
Not very simplistic but the best I have ever used (that was 8 years ago though but it should still be one of the best). Traktor has native ASIO support so you should be bypassing Windows kmixer junk easily assuming you have a hardware supported ASIO device.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
yep, exactly.

if you're gonna spend the time learning to dj, use traktor.

not as easymode as the others but so what? learning to mix and beatmatch is learning to mix and beatmatch. it'll pay to become familiar with the top-program first of all because you'll learn how to do so much more in time, and nothing is more frustrating than being a good dj hung-up by 'complicated' software because you first picked up the #101 on some shitty beginner's software.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard