HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5455|Bolingbrook, Illinois

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

My best advice for this subject would be to completely eject everything but water from your life.
Eh, edited statement is valid, but not without silliness. Keep drinking juice, you'll be fine.
extra sugar isn't needed.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

HaiBai wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Eh, edited statement is valid, but not without silliness. Keep drinking juice, you'll be fine.
Neither is being hit by a bus, but cutting juice from your diet won't stop you from being potentially smashed.
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Neither is being hit by a bus, but cutting juice from your diet won't stop you from being potentially smashed.
I guess, but it's the little details that seperate the good from the great.

EDIT: Also, it's not like you're giving up something big.  That's why you might as well just drink water.

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-06-24 19:08:57)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You COULD just drink water, but it is not absolutely necessary for health. Only obsessive-compulsive joggers that have heart attacks in their 40's are so anal.
HaiBai

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You COULD just drink water, but it is not absolutely necessary for health. Only obsessive-compulsive joggers that have heart attacks in their 40's are so anal.

but it's just juice.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Every day after work I do:

Running - anywhere from 30min-1hr at a pretty good pace (6-11km ish) with hills and sometimes interval sprinting.
Swimming - for the past 2 weeks since we opened the pool I go in right after my run for 30min-1.5hrs.  All dependant on how I feel and if others are in the pool.  Always do at least 20 laps hard and usually do another couple racing with other people.  I also do a kind of leg lift thing using the diving board that really works out the core.

So far its working well.  I've always been in good shape (used to be a pretty damned good runner, nationally ranked) but I dont have that stamina anymore since I'm not racing or running with a club.  The swimming is definitely helping my physique though, I can already feel the difference in my arms and my abs have seen a significant boost

Some nights if I'm feeling up to it I'll do a 50-100 situps and pushups, not often though.

Anything else you think I should try?  Theres a bowflex machine downstairs but I've never been big on machines and I wont do free lifting since I absolutely hate free weights.
Don't do situps. Situps are the biggest joke of an exercise out there. All they do it damage your back. Do crunches, or side crunches or reverse crunches if you want anything to do with your abs.

You wont manage 50 crunches if you've been doing situps, I can guarantee you that.

Yeah, do chin ups and pull ups with a bar - you can get a JML Iron workout bar from lots of sports shops. It's sturdy and can hook onto any door. Chin ups are a vital core body workout and once you can hit about 12x3 chin ups, you'll be doing very very well. They also are a fantastic exercise for shoulders.

@ Defcon - It's both health and progression. I agree with you entirely, I feel a hell of a lot more burn if I just continue my sets literally a few seconds after the last, but simply by evidence it shows that it doesn't work. You may feel more burn, but that's actually because your muscles can't even get oxygen into them anymore, which is why it hurts. You need 45 - 60 seconds to let your muscles expand again and take in a lot of oxygen to go do it again. Try it with 60 seconds pauses and you should see a difference.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada
Hmm alright, I'll try that. Thanks.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6710|Toronto | Canada

Zimmer wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Every day after work I do:

Running - anywhere from 30min-1hr at a pretty good pace (6-11km ish) with hills and sometimes interval sprinting.
Swimming - for the past 2 weeks since we opened the pool I go in right after my run for 30min-1.5hrs.  All dependant on how I feel and if others are in the pool.  Always do at least 20 laps hard and usually do another couple racing with other people.  I also do a kind of leg lift thing using the diving board that really works out the core.

So far its working well.  I've always been in good shape (used to be a pretty damned good runner, nationally ranked) but I dont have that stamina anymore since I'm not racing or running with a club.  The swimming is definitely helping my physique though, I can already feel the difference in my arms and my abs have seen a significant boost

Some nights if I'm feeling up to it I'll do a 50-100 situps and pushups, not often though.

Anything else you think I should try?  Theres a bowflex machine downstairs but I've never been big on machines and I wont do free lifting since I absolutely hate free weights.
Don't do situps. Situps are the biggest joke of an exercise out there. All they do it damage your back. Do crunches, or side crunches or reverse crunches if you want anything to do with your abs.

You wont manage 50 crunches if you've been doing situps, I can guarantee you that.

Yeah, do chin ups and pull ups with a bar - you can get a JML Iron workout bar from lots of sports shops. It's sturdy and can hook onto any door. Chin ups are a vital core body workout and once you can hit about 12x3 chin ups, you'll be doing very very well. They also are a fantastic exercise for shoulders.
Well I actually normally do crunches anyway, and I can do far more crunches than situps.  50 is no problem

I cant really put up a workout bar anywhere in the house - it's not my house.  Being the regular male teenager I am the only things I'm really looking for atm are abdominal and pectoral muscles.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
just working trophy muscles will lead to an imbalance in muscle build and strength....its why a lot of chest/abs/biceps focused guys have lower back problems & have to compensate by walking around hunched forward.

If you want to work out & attain a good physique do it properly or not at all.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

I'm not looking for ripped-ness, just definition.  Also, along with running and swimming all the time I get a pretty good workout on most of my body.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6418|Boulder, CO
What do you chaps think of the idea of just doing the P90X back and biceps and abs work outs (Do the abs workout first *its only 15 minutes* then the back and biceps but swapping pull ups for press ups as I don't have a pull up bar and would still like to work my pecs). So far it seems to be working fairly well on a one day on, one day rest method. Although I was always skinny enough that I could probably gain some muscle from anything.
HaiBai

Noobeater wrote:

What do you chaps think of the idea of just doing the P90X back and biceps and abs work outs (Do the abs workout first *its only 15 minutes* then the back and biceps but swapping pull ups for press ups as I don't have a pull up bar and would still like to work my pecs). So far it seems to be working fairly well on a one day on, one day rest method. Although I was always skinny enough that I could probably gain some muscle from anything.

m3thod wrote:

just working trophy muscles will lead to an imbalance in muscle build and strength....its why a lot of chest/abs/biceps focused guys have lower back problems & have to compensate by walking around hunched forward.

If you want to work out & attain a good physique do it properly or not at all.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

what's the best thing for a vegetarian to eat for breakfast?
i'm trying to cut all the junk/crap food out, need to lose some weight
lrishpride
+68|5119
yo guys sorry i havnt been posting ive been very busy lately getting preped for the baby

Have slowly been progressing but nothing compared to a few months back

I miss it. Must try harder. Nice to see the Zims n Baggs n Sonders thread up. Will read when I have time guys.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK

Gooners wrote:

what's the best thing for a vegetarian to eat for breakfast?
i'm trying to cut all the junk/crap food out, need to lose some weight
porridge
cereal (bran flakes etc)
fruit
natural yogurt/cottage cheese
small glass of orange juice
wholemeal toast

if you're allowed eggs, boiled or poached.

Last edited by m3thod (2010-06-28 04:26:03)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Well I actually normally do crunches anyway, and I can do far more crunches than situps.  50 is no problem

I cant really put up a workout bar anywhere in the house - it's not my house.  Being the regular male teenager I am the only things I'm really looking for atm are abdominal and pectoral muscles.
Likelyhood is you're doing them wrong.

Try reverse crunches

They are easily the best ab workouts you can do.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Zimmer wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Try reverse crunches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQM2HDYyreI

Those must be bad for your back.  And I could probably do quite a few of those, I'll try it tonight.  My crunches I do correctly, I've had plenty of professionals show me how to do exercises right.  I've always been able to do tons of situps and crunches.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Try reverse crunches

Those must be bad for your back.  And I could probably do quite a few of those, I'll try it tonight.  My crunches I do correctly, I've had plenty of professionals show me how to do exercises right.  I've always been able to do tons of situps and crunches.
They aren't.

So what? Doing an exercise right doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get benefits from it. If you're always able to do tons of situps (which ARE bad for your back) and crunches, then I assume you have a very very toned stomach?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Zimmer wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Try reverse crunches

They aren't.

So what? Doing an exercise right doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get benefits from it. If you're always able to do tons of situps (which ARE bad for your back) and crunches, then I assume you have a very very toned stomach?
Right now? No, not especially.  About the same as you according to your picture earlier.  It has been much more toned but I dont work on it as much anymore.  I've never been especially muscular, just strong and lean.
lrishpride
+68|5119
Reverse crunches rox my sox. My favorite core exercise by far.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5724|Roma
Anybody know a good diet plan?
My doctor said i have a bit of high colesterol.
I don't eat that much meat and didn't touch fast food for like 6 years.
And also told me to lay off beers and alcohol, the beer part is gonna be hard.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2010-06-28 10:56:58)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium
Been treating myself like shit the last few days. I've gone out and drunk every single night since last Thursday, and the upcoming festival season ain't gonna change that, FFS.
lrishpride
+68|5119
Bad form Jebus! :argh:

What do you guys listen to when you're working out?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

http://www.hundredpushups.com

Worth a shot for us weaklings who need a simple, easy kick-start?
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada

lrishpride wrote:

Bad form Jebus! :argh:

What do you guys listen to when you're working out?
The Roots - Here I Come

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard