bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6323

If anyone in the US is looking for a wireless N router, the Linksys E3000 is $70 on Newegg. Regularly $180
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6426|Finland

Put the new parts together today. It works!

https://i.imgur.com/3X6kA.jpg
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5762|شمال
stock?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

Beduin wrote:

stock?
Not anymore. Just finished some IBT (with AVX support) funfun at 4.8GHz 1.325V. More tomorrow...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-01-17 15:17:44)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5762|شمال
nice
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Naturn wrote:

So we started wiring the house today.  We have a total of 9 RJ-45 ports in the house and maybe a 10th for the Sprint Airvana.

We ran out of Cat 6 cable so we had to run and get Cat 5e instead.  I'm hoping I get my 16 port switch tomorrow as well as the Airvana.
Pics are a damn sight better than the Star Trek rat's nest I have going on. Thought of pulling cat7's straight through HDMI brush sockets rather than dinking around with cat5/6 termination. Anything else will have to be satisfied with wireless.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Well that was just the beginning of the project.  I plan on taking more pictures of the finished project ether tomorrow or Thursday.  I'm getting my 16 port switch i'm throwing into the mix as well tomorrow.  Terminating the ends is not that hard just time consuming.  Lining up 8 little copper wires is not easy with big hands.  Others may find it easier with smaller ones.

Last edited by Naturn (2012-01-17 16:48:45)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

You must have a lot of gear if you need a 16-port switch.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You must have a lot of gear if you need a 16-port switch.
I do. 

Here are the pics of the finished product like I promised.

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-18_16-46-46_888.jpg
Wires running from upstairs to switch.

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-18_16-47-11_999.jpg
Cable modem, router, switch, and Femtocell.

https://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jskilnyk/The%20Phone/2012-01-18_16-47-43_302.jpg
GPS Reciever

Edit: I also wanted to say that I had help with this.  With my back I couldn't do jack shit.

Last edited by Naturn (2012-01-18 13:56:51)

CC-Marley
+407|6840

Naturn wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

Naturn wrote:

What ISP is it?  Some ISPs allow more than 1 cable modem per account.  I do know that Comcast allows more than one now.  You just have to pay the additional rental cost for the second modem.
Everything I've read of the Comcast forum says otherwise. Oh well. Does WiFi suck for gaming?
Well the funny thing is I called Comcast AND talk to a tech that installed the cable at my house.  They both told me I could get a second one.  However, it might be official policy not too.  Yes, wireless is generally not good for gaming.  It would even more so with a repeater.

You might get better latency if it was in the 5Ghz range, because the 2.4Ghz range is very crowed right now.

Edit: If you can get a second modem ask for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.(Comcast)  Comcast every couple years, upgrades certain tiers of their internet speeds.  It would be far less trouble to take advantage of those free upgrades if you had a new modem.  Its not extra charge ether for one.
new development. My apartment is cat5 wired for a land line phone with three rooms with jacks. So I should be able to swap an ethernet male connector on their end and swap a female faceplate on my end. I just have to see how they've set up the modem/wifi . Sound plausible?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

CC-Marley wrote:

Naturn wrote:

CC-Marley wrote:

Everything I've read of the Comcast forum says otherwise. Oh well. Does WiFi suck for gaming?
Well the funny thing is I called Comcast AND talk to a tech that installed the cable at my house.  They both told me I could get a second one.  However, it might be official policy not too.  Yes, wireless is generally not good for gaming.  It would even more so with a repeater.

You might get better latency if it was in the 5Ghz range, because the 2.4Ghz range is very crowed right now.

Edit: If you can get a second modem ask for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.(Comcast)  Comcast every couple years, upgrades certain tiers of their internet speeds.  It would be far less trouble to take advantage of those free upgrades if you had a new modem.  Its not extra charge ether for one.
new development. My apartment is cat5 wired for a land line phone with three rooms with jacks. So I should be able to swap an ethernet male connector on their end and swap a female faceplate on my end. I just have to see how they've set up the modem/wifi . Sound plausible?
Very plausible, the only thing you should have to worry about is if the cable behind the phone jacks has enough length to repunch for RJ-46.  Normally phone companies do use network cable but they only use 2 strands of copper vs all 8 for network.  Have you punched/terminated network cable before?  Also, jacks are NOT cheap if you go to a local hardware store, face plates are however.
CC-Marley
+407|6840
I got a face plate and a Rj-45 jack from Radio Shack for under $10. Is there a RJ-46?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN

CC-Marley wrote:

I got a face plate and a Rj-45 jack from Radio Shack for under $10. Is there a RJ-46?
Uhhhh... I believe RJ-46 is voice and data over the same line.  I honestly have never messed with them before.  Your going to get face plates and jacks for both end.  Any pics?
CC-Marley
+407|6840
no pics yet. i'm at my ex's house atm. tomorrow i'll ask my landlord to see the router setup Comcast installed. I'm sure thet will be fine with what I want to do.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6160|'straya
Hmm can't decide what I want to upgrade first.

Do I replace my HD6970 with a HD7970.

or

Replace my Microlab PRO 3 speakers with Audioengine A5+ speakers and an Audioengine D1 DAC.

or

Replace my 15.6" Dell Studio XPS with a ASUS 13" Zenbook.

fwp.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4980|Dundee, Scotland.
What's the least I need to spend to get a case with a bottom mounted psu and space behind the morherboard tray for cable routing?

I found this but not sure if good.
http://www.ebuyer.com/278067-nzxt-sourc … xts210e002

It looks decent enough. Has what I want. Two massive as fuck fans in the top.

Edit- just read a review. Seems pretty sweet actually!

Last edited by Camm (2012-01-18 17:53:02)

for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6679

If warranty is important to you, check those ship dates.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ … Warranties

Hard drive makers Seagate and Western Digital slash warranties

In a bid to save money or redirect funds to product development, Seagate and Western Digital are cutting hard drive warranties, in some cases from five years to one.

Seagate's warranties on certain drives were shortened as of Dec. 31, and Western Digital followed suit on Jan. 2. All drives shipped prior to those dates will continue to carry the warranty term in effect at the shipping time.

Warranties for some of Seagate's desktop and notebook drives, including the Barracuda, are being cut from five years to one.

Western Digital announced that it's cutting warranties for Caviar Blue, Caviar Green and Scorpio Blue drives from three years to two, but it didn't offer an explanation for the changes.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6670|BC, Canada

Camm wrote:

What's the least I need to spend to get a case with a bottom mounted psu and space behind the morherboard tray for cable routing?

I found this but not sure if good.
http://www.ebuyer.com/278067-nzxt-sourc … xts210e002

It looks decent enough. Has what I want. Two massive as fuck fans in the top.

Edit- just read a review. Seems pretty sweet actually!
Check out fractal designs.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6426|Finland

I think thats enough testing... now to the games.

https://i.imgur.com/QH5wI.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

anyone looking at the apple event on right now?

its probably the most significant thing they've ever done if it works out properly.  textbooks being sold at $15! imagine i could get my textbooks for that, most of mine cost 10x that or more.  plus they update with content, are interactive, give you quizzes and notes, etc.  it actually looks fantastic
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6509

no, but i am feeling you on text book prices. most of my material is online, just think if the book you bought was interactive, updating, etc.

then it would be worth the price . . .
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

its a great concept if it works out.  and publishers probably arent thaaat angry about it since it eliminates the second hand market.  i dont own an apple device anymore, but im sure itll get (legally or not) ported to android at some point.  either way, this could be huge.  normally for us to get interactive software you have to buy the textbook bundle that costs 20-30 more than buying the textbook...
Benzin
+576|6010
https://i.imgur.com/Ce2dE.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6679

Must have real keyboard.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6749|Oxferd Ohire

Ilocano wrote:

Must have real keyboard.