..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
Has anyone had any experience with this?

On Tuesday I'll be heading back to England moving into a slightly grotty small house with 3 others who smoke. I get a long with most of the guys bar one who I don't really know but I'm quite worried about living in a murky old place which will smell like shit if the cancer sticks get lit up inside. Obviously I'm going ask them not to or do it in their rooms but from experience I know smokers as a group will do it where it suits them.

I'm also a bit worried because of my health and pretty bad allergies to the extent where I've considered trying to find a new place to live before I've even moved in. Unfortunately the contract is incredibly tight and it would be hard for me to do this.

Tips, advice..etc will be much appreciated!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
If they won't respect your asking them to do it outside/in their rooms they're faggots.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
Yeah...unfortunately I'm outnumbered as a non-smoker and they might woop out the whole 'well you're the only one who doesn't smoke' argument.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6381|the land of bourbon
you will not like it.  even if they smoke in their own rooms, it will start to really get to you, especially if you have allergies.  i bet you start looking for alternative living arrangements within a month.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6270
Most of my flatmates at uni did. They tended to do it near windows. Even when they didnt by the end of the year I was just used to it.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Yeah...unfortunately I'm outnumbered as a non-smoker and they might woop out the whole 'well you're the only one who doesn't smoke' argument.
It doesn't matter. Then you are the only smart man in there. If they smoke, they MUST respect others that DON'T smoke.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6632

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Most of my flatmates at uni did. They tended to do it near windows. Even when they didnt by the end of the year I was just used to it.
Yeah but regardless, he has allergies and the smoke will likely aggravate them, and furthermore, second hand smoke is bad for your health You're going to have to ask em to do it outside.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649

steelie34 wrote:

you will not like it.  even if they smoke in their own rooms, it will start to really get to you, especially if you have allergies.  i bet you start looking for alternative living arrangements within a month.
mmmm that's what I'm worried about... problem is that student housing contracts don't allow you to release yourself unless you fork out the entire rent or get someone to take your place. So I may be stuck in an incredibly gay situation that I really don't want to be in.

There's a room that has just come up in a house that a friend of mine lives in and I'm seriously considering trying to take over that room and asking the agency to find someone else to take my place...
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6414|Finland

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

mmmm that's what I'm worried about... problem is that student housing contracts don't allow you to release yourself unless you fork out the entire rent or get someone to take your place. So I may be stuck in an incredibly gay situation that I really don't want to be in.

There's a room that has just come up in a house that a friend of mine lives in and I'm seriously considering trying to take over that room and asking the agency to find someone else to take my place...
File a complaint about them smoking inside. That should be legit reason.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6627|UK
I don't think I could bring myself to live with a bunch of smokers. Even if they were polite enough to smoke outside (unlikely if the majority of the people you're living with all smoke), the smell and everything would infiltrate the house.

I have nothing against people that choose to smoke, so long as they don't do it in my house.

Does your tenancy agreement have any clauses on smoking?
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
It says in the contract that smoking is only banned in communal hallways and staircases so I don't know if I could use that.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6414|Finland

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

It says in the contract that smoking is only banned in communal hallways and staircases so I don't know if I could use that.
get doctors papers for you allergies and they have to do something.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Being around smokers really didn't do my health a lot of good, now I'm thoroughly allergic.
If they aren't smart enough to understand the arguments about smoking being terminally unhealthy they aren't going to pay much attention to your mild whinging about it being annoying.

Your options are:

- Threaten to beat the crap out of them if so much as a wisp comes your way

- Spray them in the face with air freshener each time they light up, flammable is good

- Develop some really annoying habit they can't trump, which can't backfire and which can then be negotiated down in return for them smoking outside
eg
- Dont' flush the lavatory, ever.
- Go to a gay club, pick up some guys, bring them home and act surprised 'wut? you didn't know I was gay? I do this every thursday, I even brought a guy for you'

Or:
Get someone else to take over the contract.

Or:
Convince them to take your part of the contract.
'Dude you can use my room for dismantling motorcycles/growing weed/your meth lab'

Or:
Tell the agency they'd better cancel the contract because you're not living with smokers.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6381|Bromley, London

I would say ask them to smoke in their rooms or near windows, but as you are the only one doesn't smoke tbh it doesnt look hopeful.

Hopefully they should stick to their rooms so it shouldn't be too bad but guess it just depends how allergic you are and how much the smoke aggrevates them.

Just don't let them get one over on you, just act like an angry mother fucker everytime they smoke in a place you don't want them. This should make them get the message loud and clear.

I know its too late but why did you move in with smokers when you dont smoke yourself?
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649

teek22 wrote:

I know its too late but why did you move in with smokers when you dont smoke yourself?
For some gay reason it didn't cross my mind at all when we had to let a house...the whole process was incredibly rushed as there was only a limited amount of decent houses...

arghhhh
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
My roommate smokes, but he only ever does it outside.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
Tell them to go smoke on the balcony
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

I'm sure they won't mind if you want them to smoke outside. Most smokers I know don't like to smoke inside as it makes all their stuff smell like shit.
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6644|internet
Hard times ahead! a chance that they will not listen to you is 98%
I've been in the same situation before... just kick their asses,or find someone who can help you.

btw i've been a hard smoker as well! just look at my name
but one day everything has changed

Last edited by xxCaptainBlackxx (2009-09-19 07:36:17)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
ask em about it, they should be cool. im going to be the only smoker in my house
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
Ted

you as a smoker...if I asked you not to smoke in the living room while watching a film would you go outside?! I need a smoker's perspective on things.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Ted

you as a smoker...if I asked you not to smoke in the living room while watching a film would you go outside?! I need a smoker's perspective on things.
I would go outside but others might not. Depends on his character
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5400
smokers are disgusting pigs.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
set them on fire if they refuse
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.