Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
'Deathconsciousness' by Have A Nice Life.

It's probably one of the most perfect projects I have EVER heard. As a concept album it is fucking perfect.

The album is split into two halves: 'The Plough That Broke The Plains' and 'The Future', and listening to each in succession weaves a beautiful shoegaze tapestry of soundscapes and brilliant fuzzy noise. It's an album that comes from nowhere, incredibly esoteric and made by almost entirely unheard of musicians. But it's perfect.

Comes with a 70-page booklet written by some old Professor as well. Reading through it whilst listening to each song brings every track into a unique atmosphere of its own. It's only available digitally now (with the booklet being a .pdf, sadly) but it costs just $5.00 and it's easily one of the best albums I have ever listened to from any genre.

Their album art is tastefully chosen from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Marat

G E T  I T

Last edited by Uzique (2009-09-13 09:42:55)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6084|SC | USA |

Uzique wrote:

/wrist
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
it's shoegaze, not emo

if you're going to be an ignorant cunt save yourself the effort and fuck off
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
Sounds abit too depressing and stuck in a slow circle for my liking
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada
I'd be interested if the dude shut up and just let me listen to the music.

To be honest, it doesn't sound bad (minus the vocals), but I'm getting kind of a "lol this is real music u noob!!11!" atmosphere from it.
...Kind of like listening to Immortal Technique fan boys.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Mekstizzle wrote:

Sounds abit too depressing and stuck in a slow circle for my liking
fucksake recommending anything of real creative value to bf2s is obviously a huge mistake

it's a concept album, the album suits the concept perfectly. stuck in a slow circle? IT'S SHOEGAZE. if you dont have a fucking clue about the genre, then you probably shouldnt listen because it's probably not for you. the whole point of shoegaze is that it drones and creates a soundscape, instead of delivering you the top40 verse-chorus-verse-refrain-chorus bullshit.

and i resent any analogy involving immortal technique. wtf. immortal technique fanboys are normally 13 year olds that are immediately impressed by his rudimentary presentation of chomskyite worldviews.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5759|Catherine Black
A typical Uzique post

-This is awesome

-someone responds lightly criticising/disagreeing

-NONONONO I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT SERIOUSLY SHUT UP
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
anyone that listens to shoegaze, post-rock, drone or ambient will be able to actually appreciate it.

it's hardly a matter of "im right, ur wrong" when it comes to the subjectivity of music. the average bf2s user (e.g. mek) listens to top40 radio stuff, this is far far far into the esoteric sublime. the whole point of this sub-forum, though, is to discuss new music and hopefully expose people to some new genres and sounds. if people are just going to come along and say "this is too far beyond the pale that is so artfully defined by black eyed peas, katie perry and britney spears, sorry it sucks" then they're defeating the point of this section- not me in my replies

a typical finray post, though: opportunistic, snide and full of /fail.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-09-13 10:26:11)

Amdi Peter
peut-ĂȘtre
+111|5518|paris
It was alright.

Didn't like the vocals.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Uzique wrote:

fucksake recommending anything of real creative value to bf2s is obviously a huge mistake
lol you should not be surprised at that
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

I like it actually, the vocals make the song
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i like the vocals as well, but then again im used to listening to music with strained vocals and far-from-perfect singing. as soon as you can break away from the assumption that anything but pitch-perfect and in-tune singing is terribad, then you can start to appreciate the voice as a real instrument. sometimes it's the rough edges and the non-sequitur moments that really make the addition of a vocal layer stand out over the other instruments and really become a valuable asset to the band.

one thing i really love about the two discs of deathconsciousness is the epic scope. it took them 5 years to record and write, and the songs swing from sombre drone to epic shoegaze and then back to jerky new-wave post-punk. it's incredibly diverse but doesn't ruin its own cohesion at all. im still reading through the 75-page booklet about Antiochean history, and i think it's a fucking brilliant addition. every single one of the 500 or so physical copies that they printed themselves (without a record label) had the full-colour, hand-illustrated booklet, and every single cd was hand-painted painstakingly with their cover-art and graphics. i LOVE the ethic behind that. it's fucking brilliant.

fucking amazing
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

@ uzi - YES, yday i was on a Luther V binge, now it's time for some CASPA&RUSKO
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
It's got nothing to do with me liking the top 40 pop. You've posted plenty of stuff that I've actually liked. This I just don't like for the reasons I stated. I think it's depressing, slow and circular. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, I didn't know that, I've never heard of this genre before. It's just a genre I hate then, big deal, I also have a general dislike for lots of other genres too.

Just cos I hate this sort of stuff doesn't mean I have no idea of creativity. Obviously it's creative, all music is. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate it for its creativity. Music doesn't work that way for me, it's primary purpose is to entertain. Not make me wonder in its amazing creativity.

And if you're gonna label anyone that disagrees with you as some sort of inferior common idiot who doesn't know what it is then you're defeating the entire purpose of this section aswell.

It's not even fucking beyond the pale as you self described it. You hear that shit all the time in movies. It's typical movie music to be played during sorrow solo scenes and all that. It's not the most awesome thing ever.

Opinions are opinions, there's my more in depth view of it all.

lol you should not be surprised at that
And you guys think you're so cool and funny with your bullshit sense of looking down upon people. Who gives a shit.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5604|Southern California
I love the drum machine it gives the song a great sound to it.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada

Uzique wrote:

as soon as you can break away from the assumption that anything but pitch-perfect and in-tune singing is terribad,
See that's the mentality I was talking about.

"Let's be non-conformist 'cause it's cool (to us), and say this is awesome, when it's actually a steaming pile of shit."

I'm not saying the music you linked is shit, but that seems to be the general mentality.

..and if you don't like the IT comparison, substitute IT fans with Marilyn Manson fans.
(and on the opposite side: Linkin Park fans.)

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-09-13 10:56:32)

eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6205|S.A. Australia
I'm with Mek, it seems a bit repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere.   Mind you I haven't heard the rest of the concept album in question so I'm not entirely clear on what they were aiming for with it but as standalone songs, I find them grating to listen to

@Uzi-You might want to be careful throwing the word perfect around when it comes to matters of opinion, as you're bound to get people who disagree and it makes you look a little arrogant...just saying
Serious Flex
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6078|Birmingham, UK
Wow! I like it
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

eskimo_sammyjoe wrote:

I'm with Mek, it seems a bit repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere.   Mind you I haven't heard the rest of the concept album in question so I'm not entirely clear on what they were aiming for with it but as standalone songs, I find them grating to listen to

@Uzi-You might want to be careful throwing the word perfect around when it comes to matters of opinion, as you're bound to get people who disagree and it makes you look a little arrogant...just saying
'perfect' is just a reviewer's term of adoration. of course it comes with the implicit admittance of being a subjective opinion- no one seriously applies the term 'perfect' to a record in any objective sense. people wouldnt even agree that mozart or beethoven's finest were meritable as perfect. it's not arrogance, it's just a byword for praise.

and the slow songs that i have posted do have a purpose to their repetition. the 75-page booklet on antiochean history and on cults of death is absolutely fascinating reading - both members of HANL are history students taking their master's dissertation, and the booklet is provided by a Massachusetts professor - and the album's slow moments really create the sombre mood required for such dark-reading. the album does have moments of post-punk rawness and lo-fi crescendo, though... it's not an hour-long dirge!

Last edited by Uzique (2009-09-14 10:40:00)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Well after reading the thread I was expecting to hate it, but I actually really liked it. Reminded me of the Mars Volta, although I've never heard of the shoegaze genre before, so I have no idea if they do fall under the same category.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

I had no idea what "Shoegazing" was, so I wiki'd it. If anyone else cares, here it is:

Shoegazing (also known as shoegaze) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. It lasted until the mid 1990s with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style shoegazing because the musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances, whilst concentrating on their effects pedals on the floor, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes.

The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. A lump description given to shoegazing and other affiliated bands in London in the early 1990s was The Scene That Celebrates Itself. In the 1990s, shoegazing groups were pushed aside by the American grunge movement, forcing the relatively unknown bands to break up or reinvent their style altogether. Recent times have seen a renewed interest in the genre among "nu-gaze" bands.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6078|Birmingham, UK
Uzique i really like this, i've got the album now.

Are there any other artists like this that you'd recommend?
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6243
Hey, i like
Shadow893
lel
+75|6663|England

Finray wrote:

A typical Uzique post

-This is awesome

\o/ +1 karma to you.  shame you can't -1 karma anymore
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Shadow893 wrote:

Finray wrote:

A typical Uzique post

-This is awesome

\o/ +1 karma to you.  shame you can't -1 karma anymore
+fuck
-off

post something that at least pertains to the topic, such as a terrible 'criticism' of the OP's content, you cunt

Last edited by Uzique (2009-09-30 01:30:58)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard