lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It's not a liberal comment. I'm quite liberal in general and I totally believe that fat people have no one to balme but themselves, or in the case of fat kids, possibly their parents.

Being liberal does not mean shirking responsibility for your own actions. If it does then I guess I'm just not that liberal.
I gave examples of what liberals want did I not??
Some things. That's a biased perspective and you know it.

Most of the issues you raised, that liberals support, are based around helping those less fortunate. I don't consider helping out those who can't find work etc. That said, I do believe there should be tighter controls on a lot of these benefits, you do hear a lot of cases where totally undeserving people are getting massive benefit payouts, because they had 5 kids before they were 20, or something similar.

CEO's often get stupid deals. There is nothing wrong with a CEO being successful and making money. What there is something wrong with is CEOs of massive companies getting pay increases while their companies are losing money and employees are being laid off. This happens. If you are a success as a CEO, ok fair enough - well done take a pay rise.
I agree with all you have said, you are definatly  moderately left, if at all.

Last edited by lowing (2006-09-15 17:47:17)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

I gave examples of what liberals want did I not??
Some things. That's a biased perspective and you know it.

Most of the issues you raised, that liberals support, are based around helping those less fortunate. I don't consider helping out those who can't find work etc. That said, I do believe there should be tighter controls on a lot of these benefits, you do hear a lot of cases where totally undeserving people are getting massive benefit payouts, because they had 5 kids before they were 20, or something similar.

CEO's often get stupid deals. There is nothing wrong with a CEO being successful and making money. What there is something wrong with is CEOs of massive companies getting pay increases while their companies are losing money and employees are being laid off. This happens. If you are a success as a CEO, ok fair enough - well done take a pay rise.
I agree with all you have said, you are definatly  moderately left, if at all.
Being more moderate seems more sensible to me than being either very liberal or very conservative. These things are just common sense. You make out liberals to be a bunch of idiots (some extreme radical liberals are - but the extreme radical conservatives are more scary). But things like free healthcare and benefits are good, just not when abused. In fact I reckon in the UK very fat people should have to pay for their operations. That's because operations on fat people are more difficult, more time consuming and being fat means more health problems leading to more strain on an underfunded public service. The same for heavy smokers (you know, 10/20/50 a day smokers) you shouldn't totally demonise people for smoking a little bit, but very heavy smokers do put extra strain on the health service, they don't have to smoke.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6681
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

jonnykill wrote:

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=1771824
What a crazy couple of biatches.

Their kids should have to pay for treatment on the NHS.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6524|Little blue planet, milky way

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Becoming fat isn't a smart thing to do.
Neither is smoking, drinking, speeding, cheating, buying lotto tickets, riding motorcycles without a helmet, casual sex without protection on and on and on. Who cares what someone does to themselves. At least a fat ass isn't hurting anyone but themselves or even have the potential to hurt anyone but themselves.

By the way, FloJo wasn't fat and she died at 39 or some shit, while Jackie Gleason lived to be in his 70's or 80's.  Again who cares?
It doesn't HURT anyone ? I'd say that depends WILDLY on how you define "hurt". ATM the US economy is at one of it's lowest points EVER... There are people who say on the verge of a collapse (I know there's been people saying that for a long time, but I'm starting to believe some of that crap now). and the FAT people not only take up more time in hospitals, more resources in the medical indutry and use an unhealthy amount of gas (because you never see a fat guy WALK anywhere, or even use a bicycle !), food, wrapping etc. etc.
In short, fat people are more expensive than lean people. People who are healthy spend less time in the hospital. They dont have the drug industry trying to sell them crap they dont need (well they DO, but on a lesser scale) thus taking resources from valuable research  into other diseases such as alzheimers, cancer etc. Lean people do sports and participate in an active social life, proving much needed volunteering to places in need (when was the last time you saw a fat guy in a soup kitchen, big borther programme or other volunteer job who wasn't doing community service for a DUI or some shit ?) and provinding safer neighbourhoods by the social nature. Fat people are more frequently sick , thus neglecting their jobs, they retire earlier for health reasons etc, etc. About the only GOOD thing fat people do is to die early so they dont have to get huge pensions and take up many more years in the health insurance system.

I could go on and on about how obesity costs this and that much in a society. But you go find the numbers, and you get the shock for yourself, and then you'll want to change your life also.

I know that I'm "stereotyping" people here. There are LOADS of exceptions where fat guys are very healthy, active, etc. etc. and lean guys who are shitty people etc. etc. But I'm not talking about the EXCEPTIONS, I'm talking about the majority. And it's the majority of the fat people who are expensive !
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Twist wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Becoming fat isn't a smart thing to do.
Neither is smoking, drinking, speeding, cheating, buying lotto tickets, riding motorcycles without a helmet, casual sex without protection on and on and on. Who cares what someone does to themselves. At least a fat ass isn't hurting anyone but themselves or even have the potential to hurt anyone but themselves.

By the way, FloJo wasn't fat and she died at 39 or some shit, while Jackie Gleason lived to be in his 70's or 80's.  Again who cares?
It doesn't HURT anyone ? I'd say that depends WILDLY on how you define "hurt". ATM the US economy is at one of it's lowest points EVER... There are people who say on the verge of a collapse (I know there's been people saying that for a long time, but I'm starting to believe some of that crap now). and the FAT people not only take up more time in hospitals, more resources in the medical indutry and use an unhealthy amount of gas (because you never see a fat guy WALK anywhere, or even use a bicycle !), food, wrapping etc. etc.
In short, fat people are more expensive than lean people. People who are healthy spend less time in the hospital. They dont have the drug industry trying to sell them crap they dont need (well they DO, but on a lesser scale) thus taking resources from valuable research  into other diseases such as alzheimers, cancer etc. Lean people do sports and participate in an active social life, proving much needed volunteering to places in need (when was the last time you saw a fat guy in a soup kitchen, big borther programme or other volunteer job who wasn't doing community service for a DUI or some shit ?) and provinding safer neighbourhoods by the social nature. Fat people are more frequently sick , thus neglecting their jobs, they retire earlier for health reasons etc, etc. About the only GOOD thing fat people do is to die early so they dont have to get huge pensions and take up many more years in the health insurance system.

I could go on and on about how obesity costs this and that much in a society. But you go find the numbers, and you get the shock for yourself, and then you'll want to change your life also.

I know that I'm "stereotyping" people here. There are LOADS of exceptions where fat guys are very healthy, active, etc. etc. and lean guys who are shitty people etc. etc. But I'm not talking about the EXCEPTIONS, I'm talking about the majority. And it's the majority of the fat people who are expensive !
In the context of my post it was pretty clear I meant NOT hurting anyone else health wise.
Jusster
Pimpin aint Easy
+11|6478|H-Town
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I find it interesting that in some countries where most poor or middle class people are thin while the wealthy are overweight.  In alot of societies being overweight is a sign of prosperity.  If you look at all the old European paintings of what people considered to be beautiful, then you would see it is in stark contrast to what we perceive today.  They were all large women.  Thats not my type, but to some it maybe.

In the U.S. and most other western societies, it is the opposite.  Most people can afford to eat, but they can't afford to eat right.  Of course there are other factors involved as well.

Jusster

Last edited by Jusster (2006-09-16 21:57:18)

BMW330i
Banned
+20|6464|Montreal, Canada

Jusster wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I find it interesting that in some countries where most poor or middle class people are thin while the wealthy are overweight.  In alot of societies being overweight is a sign of prosperity.  If you look at all the old European paintings of what people considered to be beautiful, then you would see it is in stark contrast to what we perceive today.  They were all large women.  Thats not my type, but to some it maybe.

In the U.S. and most other western societies, it is the opposite.  Most people can afford to eat, but they can't afford to eat right.  Of course there are other factors involved as well.

Jusster
I think you're fat.
Jusster
Pimpin aint Easy
+11|6478|H-Town
Well then you would be mistaken

I am 6'0 185 lbs, and workout 4 days a week at my gym.  This I have done off and on since high school.

Nice try though

Jusster
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

BMW330i wrote:

Jusster wrote:

Jusster
I think you're fat.
LOL
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York
This is NOT just an American Thing. LMAO. Ignorance is Bliss isnt it?

Over the past four decades, global population has doubled, but food output, driven by increasees in productivity, has outpaced it. Poverty, infant mortality and hunger are receeding. For the first time in our PLANETS history, a species no longer lives at the mercy of scarcity. We have learned to feed ourselves.

We"ve learned so well, in fact that we're getting fat. NOT JUST IN THE UNITED STATES or EUROPE, but the WHOLE WORLD. Egyptian, Mexican and South African WOMEN are now as fat as Americans. Far more Filipino Adults are now overweight. In CHINA, one in five adults is too heavy, and the rate of overweight children is 28 times higher than it was two decades ago. In Kuwait, Thailand and Tunisia, Obesity, diabetes and heart disease are soaring.

Hunger is FAR from conquered. But since 1990, the global rate of malnutrition has declined an average of 1.7 percent a year.Based on data from the World Health Organization and the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, for every TWO people who are malnourished, THREE are NOW OVERWEIGHT or OBESE. Among women, even in most AFRICAN countries, overweight has Surpassed underweight. The Balance of peril is shifting.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ
Ok So now we have an overpopulation and overweight problem in this world.. You hear the most of it in America, and walking around with people from other countries they tell you it's much more noticiable.

So I'm going to say that the whole world is gaining weight but america has the highest percentage of over weight people..
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York
Yah but now that the rest are getting FAT, the axis of the world will now balance out better and wont lean so far westward LMFAO!
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6524|Little blue planet, milky way

lowing wrote:

Twist wrote:

lowing wrote:

In the context of my post it was pretty clear I meant NOT hurting anyone else health wise.
Ok... I'll go as far as to agree that the ass itself wont hurt anyone unless it sits on a kid or someones grandpa, maybe hurt someones sense of deceny or whatever.... And true... While the disease, obesity, wont spread through air, or touch, or blood. It WILL spread. it's a "lifestyle" disease, so it spreads as the culture starts to accept and EMBRACE the disease. But you cannot, and SHOULD not ignore the huge amount of taxdollars and health insurance dollars, lost productivity, and rerouted resources from important stuff, that the fat people cost society every day. This is a MASSIVE waste, the total can only be guessed at because a lot of the statistics do not exist as of yet, but the number is probably in the range of BILLIONS of dollars world wide every day. It's many TIMES the cost of cancer, traffic accidents, AIDS, alzheimers or any other major disease... The problem is that this disease doesn't only affect the person having it, but it affects the society around him.... and the worst part is... Obesity is CURABLE... Not only easily but fairly cheap. All it takes is the willingness to get rid of it.
But instead of excercising, or dieting, the americans (everyone else too, the US just seems to lead the way) go the OTHER way, and start designing cars for fat people, selling handicap aids to perfectly normal people who are just too lazy to reach for the whatever on the top shelf, or god forbid, WALK from their car to the shopping mall entrance when you can just put a golf cart in your minivan !
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Twist wrote:

lowing wrote:

Twist wrote:

Ok... I'll go as far as to agree that the ass itself wont hurt anyone unless it sits on a kid or someones grandpa, maybe hurt someones sense of deceny or whatever.... And true... While the disease, obesity, wont spread through air, or touch, or blood. It WILL spread. it's a "lifestyle" disease, so it spreads as the culture starts to accept and EMBRACE the disease. But you cannot, and SHOULD not ignore the huge amount of taxdollars and health insurance dollars, lost productivity, and rerouted resources from important stuff, that the fat people cost society every day. This is a MASSIVE waste, the total can only be guessed at because a lot of the statistics do not exist as of yet, but the number is probably in the range of BILLIONS of dollars world wide every day. It's many TIMES the cost of cancer, traffic accidents, AIDS, alzheimers or any other major disease... The problem is that this disease doesn't only affect the person having it, but it affects the society around him.... and the worst part is... Obesity is CURABLE... Not only easily but fairly cheap. All it takes is the willingness to get rid of it.
But instead of excercising, or dieting, the americans (everyone else too, the US just seems to lead the way) go the OTHER way, and start designing cars for fat people, selling handicap aids to perfectly normal people who are just too lazy to reach for the whatever on the top shelf, or god forbid, WALK from their car to the shopping mall entrance when you can just put a golf cart in your minivan !
Again, I agree with you, however the context of my post was not covering economics, it was covering responsibility....PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY............it is NOT the forks fault that someone is fat.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
LOL, I love it, 10 frickin' pages of who is to blame for an INDIVIDUALS wieght problem. Throw in blaming themselves, and everyone runs.....
millhous
+39|6638|OREEGONE, USA

lowing wrote:

LOL, I love it, 10 frickin' pages of who is to blame for an INDIVIDUALS wieght problem. Throw in blaming themselves, and everyone runs.....
Thats cause its easier to blame someone else for your problems then yourself.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

millhous wrote:

lowing wrote:

Thats cause its easier to blame someone else for your problems then yourself.
Its the liberal way!!!
IntrebuloN
+8|6471
idk why, mebbe i'm lucky but i eat mickey d's or something equally non-nutritious about 5-6 times a week

im 6' even, 195 lbs, 27yo like long walks on the beach .....yadda
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ

IntrebuloN wrote:

idk why, mebbe i'm lucky but i eat mickey d's or something equally non-nutritious about 5-6 times a week

im 6' even, 195 lbs, 27yo like long walks on the beach .....yadda
You're going to be screwed when you hit 30, I use to eat that way but in the past 2 years I chilled out with my diet and I"m 6' and 155 lbs(very skinny) and I know one day I will be huge but not anytime soon.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6561
5'8" - 185 lbs.
Got a beer/taco bell belly.
Life is good.
I love America.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America
Hmm, I'm 5'6" and 125 lb's.  I think I'm fat. Seriously.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Not that you wanted to know, but I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs.

I think most of the obesity problem is a result of radically changing lifestyles with little change to diet.  We have so many labor-saving devices, but most of our traditional foods (cheeseburgers, etc.) were conceived among a much more physically active society.

Last edited by Turquoise (2006-10-16 16:36:28)

rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6561

Turquoise wrote:

Not that you wanted to know, but I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs.

I think most of the obesity problem is a result of radically changing lifestyles with little change to diet.  We have so many labor-saving devices, but most of our traditional foods (cheeseburgers, etc.) were conceived among a much more physically active society.
True that.
If the remote isn't in arms reach I can easily get stuck watching stupid crap on tv.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6633

Mcdonalds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mcdonlads Mcdonalds Mcodonalds Mcdonalds Mcdonalds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard