Poll

Should people be allowed to indoctrinate their children with religion?

Yes41%41% - 31
No45%45% - 34
I'm Catholic12%12% - 9
Total: 74
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Should it be allowed?
Personally I don't think so.

Smokers are not allowed to let kids smoke until they're 16, alcoholics aren't permitted to brainwash their children (OK, except Ireland) and sex maniacs aren't allowed to mess around with little girls to 'prepare' them for adult-hood, but the god-squad are allowed to cut their kids about and start filling their heads with hogwash from the age of zero.

If freedom to practice religion is a freedom then it should be just that.
People should be free to make an informed choice when they are old enough and educated enough to do so.

And frankly I think many problems in the world would cease to be quite so great. We'd probably have a whole new set of different problems but I think its worth a go.

Please vote, and give your reasons.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Dawkins' has a very similar view on this one and is very critical of Religious schools in particular.

Catholic school for example isn't exactly going to be heavy on the sciences such as evolution, I would rather have schools like these use the same curriculum as the non-religious state schools, I'm sure parents would still find a way to fill them with crap on the side though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Dawkins' has a very similar view on this one and is very critical of Religious schools in particular.

Catholic school for example isn't exactly going to be heavy on the sciences such as evolution, I would rather have schools like these use the same curriculum as the non-religious state schools, I'm sure parents would still find a way to fill them with crap on the side though.
I'm not overly comfortable with taking away the rights of parents when it comes to deciding what's best for their children. If they're well off enough to afford private school for their children then they are obviously not such a failure in life that they need guidance from the government in how best to raise their children.

I myself went to a Quaker high school because it happens to be one of the top schools in the country. I would say a good half of my graduating class ('99) went on to Ivy League schools. To generalize and say that religious schools are light on science and evolution studies is a serious misconception. I had exactly one class on the Quaker religion and we attended Quaker Meeting on Thursday mornings. That was the extent of it.

I am an Atheist and my girlfriend is Catholic, if our future children decide they want to proscribe to a religion I won't stand in their way. I'll hopefully teach them better than that but if they choose it for themselves why stand in their way?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6513|Texas - Bigger than France
You are comparing religion to smoking, drinking and sex abuse?

Wow
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It probably causes as much death and suffering as the above.
The point is its an unnatural lifestyle choice and causes many problems, why inflict it on those who have no choice?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

The point is its an unnatural lifestyle choice and causes many problems, why inflict it on those who have no choice?
Who are you to decide whether a person should follow a religion or not? Is it not exactly the same argument that non-believers make against pushy religious types that try to preach to them?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Who are you to decide whether a person should follow a religion or not?
If I'm not allowed that decision why should someone else be just because they produced a child?
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

Really?  And you came to this amazing conclusion how?

Let people teach their children.  The government CANNOT tell people to stop practicing their religion (provided it does not directly harm others).  We have the 1st Amendment for a reason!

The government does not "allow" it, they are strictly forbidden from denying it.  In no way would I want to live under a government that does not "allow" me to tell my children what I think.

Simply put, I think you're nuts for thinking this is a good idea.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-08-31 07:12:43)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Only if they are forbidden from teaching their children morals too.
twiistaaa
+87|6639|mexico
well it's their kids, they can do whatever the hell they want with them. i don't agree with it, but i'd hate for someone to tell me i can't raise my kids as atheists so why would i want to infringe on someone elses right to raise their kids how they want?
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5371

Pug wrote:

Wow
aye.  religion is way worse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Raimius wrote:

In no way would I want to live under a government that does not "allow" me to tell my children what I think.
Strange, I'm not allowed to tell people what to think, but other people are simply because they have children.
How is that 'freedom'?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5721|شمال
I will oc pass my way of how I read the world to my children. If I don't do it, who will?
I will not call it "indoctrinate", they will grow up one day, and they will have their own way of seeing things.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Pug

Dilbert_X wrote:

80-85% of the world population follow some sort of religion.

You are arguing 80-85% of the population is following an unnatural lifestyle choice?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You are arguing 80-85% of the population is following an unnatural lifestyle choice?
Yes. Religion belongs in the middle ages along with the black death and trial by ordeal.

How many of those 80-85% are doing so solely because they were brought up with it?
Pug
So, Dilbert, are your parents religious?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So, Dilbert, are your parents religious?
Not even slightly.
We did have christian speakers at school now and then, and religious studies once a week, thankfully the good lord saw fit to send us 'Commando' comics which fitted neatly in a pocket and could be opened without attracting attention.
Can't fault that 'intelligent design' thing.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-08-31 07:58:03)

Pug
Well, then run for office.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Running sounds tiring.
Pug
Glad you are trying so hard to change the world.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

As much as I think religion is plague, it's not up to society to dictate what beliefs a parent teaches their child.  It would be no different that some one wanting to dictate what a parent teaches a child in relation to how they feel about drinking, using drugs, or sex.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2009-08-31 09:21:27)

jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

No. I have my beliefs and they were not handed to me. They were gained through thinking for myself.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-08-31 09:25:50)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'm Catholic.

To quote the great philosopher Homer (Simpson), "Kids are great: you can teach them to hate the things you hate." However, as much as you'd like, you can't force parents what they get to tell/teach/indoctrinate their kids with. I find it odd that you chose religion instead of say, racism or bigotry, but apparently you actually think the idea of religion is somehow bad . There are still KKK people and white power psychos who teach their kids from even earlier ages to hate certain people/things, whereas a religion should be largely innocuous. I'm not going to try to defend the creationism and "God did it" people because they don't seem to have much of a basis in reason or reality, either. In parting I pose you this question to show the absurdity of this topic, should you be able to indoctrinate your children with areligion?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5721|شمال

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm Catholic.

To quote the great philosopher Homer (Simpson), "Kids are great: you can teach them to hate the things you hate." However, as much as you'd like, you can't force parents what they get to tell/teach/indoctrinate their kids with. I find it odd that you chose religion instead of say, racism or bigotry, but apparently you actually think the idea of religion is somehow bad . There are still KKK people and white power psychos who teach their kids from even earlier ages to hate certain people/things, whereas a religion should be largely innocuous. I'm not going to try to defend the creationism and "God did it" people because they don't seem to have much of a basis in reason or reality, either. In parting I pose you this question to show the absurdity of this topic, should you be able to indoctrinate your children with areligion?
I will go for "I'm Catholic" too
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

While you're at it why not prevent parents from giving their children conservative beliefs, how about not telling them about guns or sex because they can both kill?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard