Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6477
Intriguing.

Steam did create a bit of a headache for themselves - TF2 had an amazing competitive uptake and outlook from the very start, what with TFC's aged community and a whole band of eager gamers looking for something competitive to play that isn't CS/CoD...  but then every single update and addition they made to the game detracted from this core demographic.

Will be interesting to see how they detangle and simplify the mess, and make the game properly cater to both groups. No matter which side of the line you stand on, or what you think of the 'other' group- both casual-pub players and the more active and participative competitive community are vital supports for the game's long-term future.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5795|Catherine Black
* [confirmed] The engineer is receiving a wrench that allows him to build his buildings faster. It does not allow him to upgrade them and repairs them at the same rate as before, however.

Useless.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5406|USA

Finray wrote:

* [confirmed] The engineer is receiving a wrench that allows him to build his buildings faster. It does not allow him to upgrade them and repairs them at the same rate as before, however.

Useless.
I would love it tbh...if you have another engy or two on your team w/ the regular wrench they would be able to help upgrade it @ a normal rate once it's already been built.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277

Finray wrote:

Useless.
Not in the slightest bit useless. Have you never played Engy while on offense, and stuck down level 1 sentry guns in the middle of a firefight? They singlehandedly turn the tide of the battle, especially if you go running in shotgun blazing as soon as its up. Very powerful while attacking on A/D maps and on 5CP maps. Not only does it mean that you can help push fowards, but it means its harder for them to push back. As well as being very useful it's also very fun.

How is it useless?

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-08-09 08:47:13)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6409|dm_maidenhead

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Finray wrote:

Useless.
Not in the slightest bit useless. Have you never played Engy while on offense, and stuck down level 1 sentry guns in the middle of a firefight? They singlehandedly turn the tide of the battle, especially if you go running in shotgun blazing as soon as its up. Very powerful while attacking on A/D maps and on 5CP maps. Not only does it mean that you can help push fowards, but it means its harder for them to push back. As well as being very useful it's also very fun.

How is it useless?
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Finray can't play TF2
Bevo
Nah
+718|6528|Austin, Texas

Finray wrote:

Useless.

Epic win
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
[unconfirmed] According to this screen shot from a beta tester, Goldrush appears to have gotten some changes involving control points. Whether this applies to a PL/CP tourney-only hybrid mode of the map or if its going to apply to pubs is currently unsure; nor are detals available of what changes are going to be implemented either.
I dunno what to make of this really. I'm not seeing anything unusual. Is that sign usually not in the map? Or is it something to do with that curious bar at the bottom right of the screen. I wonder what that's for
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5406|USA

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

[unconfirmed] According to this screen shot from a beta tester, Goldrush appears to have gotten some changes involving control points. Whether this applies to a PL/CP tourney-only hybrid mode of the map or if its going to apply to pubs is currently unsure; nor are detals available of what changes are going to be implemented either.
I dunno what to make of this really. I'm not seeing anything unusual. Is that sign usually not in the map? Or is it something to do with that curious bar at the bottom right of the screen. I wonder what that's for
Gold rush is a cart map no? So having control points would be a big change.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
There are control point signs on the map already though.
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5406|USA
And that sign is one of them (just checked). Weird.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
I'm beginning to think that despite what the guy in that thread said, the only unusual thing in that screenshot is the bar at the bottom right, which was, oddly enough, the only thing I saw off about it the first time I looked anyway.

Edit: Yes I've just gone back to the thread and he's edited it saying that the only thing IS that bar.

So. Something to do with rocket jumps perhaps? People have suggested its rechargable 'armour' against self damage (and rocket jumps obviously). I wonder what else it could mean.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-08-11 11:38:42)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
Gold Rush? Is that you?

https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4530/220744000.jpg

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-08-11 13:45:03)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6528|Austin, Texas
I'm liking this more and more.

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
Keep in mind that some of these changes could be easily done with the SDK/notepad so this is all very unconfirmed stuff.

So assuming this is all legit:

I wonder what that tunnel is for. It looks like they just made that building extend slightly so the tunnel leading to the right is covered. But why? What possible use could that have? Unless there's more in that tunnel than we're seeing.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
That Goldrush pic I posted has been confirmed to be a custom map.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5795|Catherine Black
I was referring to useless if you were the only engie on your team, then you're stuck at level 1 stuff. Which kinda sucks, dunnit?

I suppose it would work on a team with multiple engineers.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6475

Finray wrote:

I was referring to useless if you were the only engie on your team, then you're stuck at level 1 stuff. Which kinda sucks, dunnit?

Hey!

Once it's built, you can run back into spawn and grab the real wrench
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6476

The whole point of that thing is that you can run up to the frontline, build a sentry to help you, blast the shit out of everyone with your shotgun + sentry.

Also it makes it easier for you to assist your team with quick dispensers and rapid teleporter movement on 5-cap maps.

Last edited by NooBesT (2009-08-12 19:58:22)

https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5406|USA

Finray wrote:

Read it again, it clearly says that it cannot upgrade or repair at the same rate...as in it'll still upgrade just not as fast.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
It could also mean 'cannot upgrade; cannot repair at the same rate'.

I don't know which way to read it.
dill13
+67|6200

no upgrading at all and it repairs at the same rate
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6360|Troy, New York
Man, I would love for them to do this for call of duty. But they wont.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
Oh thanks for bumping the thread, I forgot to post images of the Heavy and Engineer melee unlocks.

One is called: The Gloves of Running Urgently (like the KGB, I love the pun)

It deals you 6 damage per second and gives you a speed boost when equiped. They do 50% damage.

The Engy Wrench is called the P.D.Q.

It builts buildings 150% faster and can't upgrade them.

https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6244/havyglovw3.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Fallen_Ronin/125200621966.jpg

I'm not sure if the PDQ means 150% faster or it builds at 150% speed. It says faster but it could be interpreted 2 different ways.
Either way, I love the GRU. You can get to the front line faster and give the Medic more ubercharge.

Also, here are the proposed Medic changes . Apparently so far they've all been rejected by the comp players and i'm not suprised.

#  [Confirmed]There are going to be some form of changes to the Medic's, Ubersaw/Blutsauger or original Syringe gun/Bonesaw. The current state of these changes are unclear save for a few that have been tested (and subsequently rejected by the beta testers), but most likely will be changed in favor of buffing the original weapons. A current list of proposed (but not confirmed) nerfs is as below:
# Blutsauger Beta 1: Gives +3 Health per hit but has -25 Max Health on player
# Blutsauger Beta 2: Gives +3 Health per hit but with -25% Damage
# Ubersaw Beta 1: Gives 25% Ubercharge on hit, but -20% slower attack speed and -25% damage done
# Ubersaw Beta 2: Gives 25% Ubercharge on hit, but -20% slower attack speed and -20 Health to medic on hit
Good idea Valve, make the Medic less fun/ more difficult to play. That's what this game needs, even less Medics.

I mean wtf is that 2nd Ubersaw one meant to be. Kill yourself by attacking Spies. Good job. And as if the Medic needs 125 health. Why are they nerfing these weapons instead of buffing the originals? I don't understand.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-09-07 00:18:54)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6475

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Oh thanks for bumping the thread, I forgot to post images of the Heavy and Engineer melee unlocks.

One is called: The Gloves of Running Urgently (like the KGB, I love the pun)

It deals you 6 damage per second and gives you a speed boost when equiped. They do 50% damage.

The Engy Wrench is called the P.D.Q.

It builts buildings 150% faster and can't upgrade them.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6244/havyglovw3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/F … 621966.jpg

I'm not sure if the PDQ means 150% faster or it builds at 150% speed. It says faster but it could be interpreted 2 different ways.
Either way, I love the GRU. You can get to the front line faster and give the Medic more ubercharge.

Also, here are the proposed Medic changes . Apparently so far they've all been rejected by the comp players and i'm not suprised.

#  [Confirmed]There are going to be some form of changes to the Medic's, Ubersaw/Blutsauger or original Syringe gun/Bonesaw. The current state of these changes are unclear save for a few that have been tested (and subsequently rejected by the beta testers), but most likely will be changed in favor of buffing the original weapons. A current list of proposed (but not confirmed) nerfs is as below:
# Blutsauger Beta 1: Gives +3 Health per hit but has -25 Max Health on player
# Blutsauger Beta 2: Gives +3 Health per hit but with -25% Damage
# Ubersaw Beta 1: Gives 25% Ubercharge on hit, but -20% slower attack speed and -25% damage done
# Ubersaw Beta 2: Gives 25% Ubercharge on hit, but -20% slower attack speed and -20 Health to medic on hit
Good idea Valve, make the Medic less fun/ more difficult to play. That's what this game needs, even less Medics.

I mean wtf is that 2nd Ubersaw one meant to be. Kill yourself by attacking Spies. Good job. And as if the Medic needs 125 health. Why are they nerfing these weapons instead of buffing the originals? I don't understand.
New wrench and gloves are

I strongly agree with the Blutsauger nerf, that thing is a straight upgrade from the standard needle gun. The ubersaw is also a straight upgrade from the bone-saw, however I think there is a better way of nerfing it. It should be -25% attack speed and 20% uber on hit, not the other way around like it is now.

However Yoda you gotta understand that these are still in beta and Valve will likely tweek them before they are released. Also if they do release them like this and they do turn out to be imbalanced, there's nothing stopping Valve from fixing them later.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
Yeah I know. Like I said, all Medic changes have apparently been rejected by the playtesters so far.

I could happy live with the damage reductions of both weapons, but the health loses are downright unacceptable. So if they do turn out to be one of those, it should be the damage reduction one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard