nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
As I'm going off to college in August, I need to purchase a laptop. I have a general idea of a budget (1500-1800 USD), although my parents, who are buying it for me as a gift, said lean on the side of longevity, and willing to increase the budget if the increase brought more future proofing. Ideally, it will last three years competently running programs. I will concentrating in math related fields (engineering and economics), so I'll need it to run drafting programs and math analysis programs. I also would like to use it for some gaming (obviously not as much as I play now - college is for other things) - OFP2, BF3, CnC4, and CoD6 are the only games I am looking forward to, so something which can comfortably run those is sufficient.

As for the research I've done so far, I haven't really much idea of what I should have or look for, other than that I will not consider a Mac. There are multiple reasons for this, most of which I'm sure you enlightened folk understand; please don't question that. I've looked at Sager, ASUS, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, and HP but have little idea which of these manufacturers is best to use, nor the level of computer (as I noted above) that I should be considering. I've ruled out Lenovo, Dell's regular lines, and HP because their graphics processing power is pathetic (I don't see enjoying OFP2 on a Mobility Radeon 3650). Of the computers left, I think I have established what needs determination. That is, of course, where you come in, since I can't hope to answer the following questions myself. I'll list them for ease and clarity of response.

1. Should I go for a dual-core or quad-core (and AMD or Intel)?

2. If I go for a quad-core, is it worth finding a laptop that uses a Core i7 processor for the purposes of future proofing, or is this unnecessary and overly expensive at this point in time.

3. Should I consider models with DDR-2, or constrain the search to DDR-3?

4. What level of graphics processor will I need to comfortably run the aforementioned games?

5. Is ATi or Nvidia preferable for laptop graphics processors?

6. Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD? Will I see tangible increases in startup speed and performance from doing so?

7. Of the manufacturers above, which are most reputable/offer the best deals/offer the best warranties? Please note that with Dell, I'd only be considering their XPS line (I dislike Alienware's look too much to consider them, unless I get an amazing deal on the laptop)?

8. Is it better to buy directly from the manufacturer, or should I go for a third-party retailer?

9. Are there any other options I've been missing in terms of manufacturers?

10. Should I give any consideration to the weight, seeing as I'm fit and not especially weak?

I'm sorry for the number of questions, but I really have little knowledge about this area of purchasing. Any help is appreciated, so don't feel compelled to answer all of the questions in one post.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6410|Finland

I must point out the obvious, getting ~1k$ desktop + $800 laptop is your way to go. Or even 1.3k$ desktop + $500 lenovo laptop.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Sambuccashake
+126|6606|Sweden
^
Thou speaketh the truth.
Smithereener
+138|6312|California

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I must point out the obvious, getting ~1k$ desktop + $800 laptop is your way to go. Or even 1.3k$ desktop + $500 lenovo laptop.
Having bought a laptop and used it for over an year now, I do regret not going this route. For the most part, having a notebook for classes is largely useless for most of my classes, I find that pencil/pen and paper do a much better job, though a laptop does help in taking some notes. Still, I feel like I would've been better off with making a desktop PC for about ~1000 and spending the rest on a netbook for classes or whatnot.

I haven't been in the loop in terms of notebooks for a while now so I'm afraid I can't help with some of your questions, but if you're set on getting a lappy only, here's the advice I can offer:

1. Not sure, but I'd go with the amount of processing power that you'll need. Laptops are mostly about portability to me, so I'd go with a dual core simply because the quad core will shorten the amount of battery I can squeeze out (I assume). However, if you feel like you'll need your notebook for some intensive stuff, I suppose you should opt for the quadcore since 1. they'll still be viable/decent even after a few years (though the same holds for dual cores probably) 2. quad cores should probably be all the power you'll need on a processor anyway.

2. This I have no clue on, sorry.

3. AFAIK, DDR3 isn't very widespread amongst laptops (though the last I checked was over 6 months ago so this is probably outdated), but when it first came out, I remember that it wasn't a very significant improvement. I'd go with what's cheaper, though I get the feeling that if you go i7 or whatnot, you'll probably have to go DDR3 anyway.

4. Again, being out of the loop, I'm not too sure about this, but try looking at this thread or this one. They list the current graphics processors from weakest to most powerful (ATI and nVidia respectively). If you want to play those games, you'll most likely have to choose from at the very least the mid-range stuff. You're probably better off with at least the performance - high end graphics if you want to be sure though.

5. Last I checked, ATI and nVidia were roughly on the same level. In some cases, one will beat out the other. Apparently, the GPU (ATI) in my notebook beats out the alternative by very little. The difference in performance was so similar though that it didn't really matter.

6. The difference between 4500 to 5400 rpm is very very significant. 5400 to 7200 is less so, but you will probably still see a difference. However, it all depends on whether you feel the extra money you spend will be worth it. You will lose battery life, but not such a significant amount from the upgrade. I've read that a high capacity 5400 rpm hard drive will perform similar to some 7200 rpm drives due to something about density, but I'm a little fuzzy on that. All in all, if the price is reasonably low, I'd probably go for the upgrade.

7. Lenovo has very reputable build quality, though I don't know about their customer service. But their build is very, very good and solid. I know that Dell and HP get a lot of shit for their customer service, but I've heard a lot of good things about HP's business line and the customer service for that. Dunno about Dell though. Probably not too great, you'll have to check up on that. I've avoided Acer for the most part since I don't like the look of their notebooks, so I can't say anything there since I've never done any research on them. Asus seems to have a lot of resellers that are quite nice to work with from what I've read about other people's experience. I also believe that they have default 2 years or warranty or something which is nice since most companies have it at 1 year default. (Might want to make sure about this, not sure anymore lol ). Not sure about Sager either, I haven't really considered buying one since they are a bit out of my price range lol. But from what I've picked up, their build is quite good and the customer service seems to be so also.

8. I'm not too sure about this. I bought my notebook from Newegg because it was on sale (prototype-ish model lol) and I've never contacted Sony yet so I can't quite say it's better to buy direct. But in my case, I bought mine cheaper than if I would've ordered the same spec from Sony directly. Asus notebooks are most often bought from third party resellers AFAIK, but they seem to have good service so that's not real bad. I would definitely research both options then go for the one that would be cheaper. But do check out the reseller, I'm sure there are quite a few shady ones out there.

9. Look into RAM/Hard Drive upgrades. If you do buy from a manufacturer, the prices they charge for a RAM or Hard Drive upgrades are sometimes if not always pricer than if you were to buy your own from say Newegg and install it yourself. But sometimes it'll void the warranty so check if you can swap them out yourself, look at the price for the upgrades and the kit separately and Newegg and decide from there what you'll do. For instance, my notebook came default with 2GB of RAM and the upgrade to 4GB would have cost ~75+ from Sony, but I bought a 2x2GB RAM kit from Newegg for less than $40 and replacing the RAM took like 5 minutes.

10. Weight and size are more or less a personal choice. Go to a Best Buy or something and compare the sizes and weights there. Most laptops, even 17"+ notebooks are still easily portable. I have a ~4 pound laptop at 13.3", and its really easy to carry around. But if you feel you could carry around larger notebooks too, you can go ahead with that. I for one though, appreciate the couple of pounds that are shaved off by carrying a smaller laptop. However, with that said, my roommate's 15.4" notebook at ~6 pounds isn't much harder to carry around either. However, given that you want to play more recent games, you'll probably go for a notebook around the 14-17" range since those are the ones with better graphics.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

A gaming laptop is rarely a good idea. You want a gaming desktop and a normal laptop. Fortunately for that budget you could comfortably get both.

That's what I'd do.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6563|NYC / Hamburg

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

A gaming laptop is rarely a good idea. You want a gaming desktop and a normal laptop. Fortunately for that budget you could comfortably get both.

That's what I'd do.
This
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
I don't have time to read more than the "get both" suggestion, so I have only one further question. How would I get a desktop from the Western US to the Eastern US? Should I just get the parts here and take them with me, have them shipped to my college, or build it here and try to take it on air? I'm pretty sure the last option won't work, but I don't know.

Edit: One more: will both the desktop and the laptop last three year for their intended purposes (I guess the desktop for heavy use, and the laptop for word/internet)?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-07-24 14:06:19)

max
Vela Incident

I've flown several times with fully assembled PCs. As long as it's small enough so you can take it into the cabin with you there's no problem.

If it's too large to carry-on, just put it in a suitcase. Use towels for padding. Remove the heatsink if it's huge.

Or you can just Fed-Ex it ...
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6135|New Jersey
I just spent about $1700 on a Lenovo T500 and couldn't be more happy with it.  Highly recommend Lenovo.  Just go on their site and customize an R500 or T500 to your liking.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5607|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Why is the difference between 4500 and 5400 RPMs more pronounced than the difference between 5400 and 7200?

Edit: So I decided to price out a desktop comparable in performance to a Sager gaming laptop (see below), and it was $1050 vs. 2040, although it was with a special deal on the graphics card, so think more like $1150 - 1200 vs. 2040. It's kind of annoying how much cheaper desktops are than laptops. I'm kind of tempted to go for a desktop and laptop, but I'm still rather concerned about having a desktop. Traveling seems like either a hassle, or expensive (packing it for on taking in on a plane isn't exactly easy, and Fedex for 15 pounds across the US is 20-30, IIRC). Moreover, I'm concerned about not having enough flexibility with my powerful computer - let's say I'm in an engineering lab, for example, and need to run a math program/drafting program that would be much quicker on a strong computer with a real graphics card. Instead of having it with me, I'd have to go back to my room and use my desktop. Finally, I'm concerned about just having enough room in my suite, and theft. I know laptops can have locks, but I don't think there is anything like that for a desktop. Essentially, I still have no idea what to do.

The computers in question were speced as follows:

Sager:

T9600 (6MB L2/2.8 GHz)
4MB DDR3 1066
GTX 280M
320GB 7200RPM HD
Vista Home Premium 64 (with Windows 7 upgrade coupon)
17" display with 1920x1200 maximum resolution

Quickly constructed desktop:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
E8400 (3MB L2/3.0 Ghz)
4MB DDR3 1066 (Kingston)
Evga GTX 260
Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM HD
Seasonic S12 430
Vista Home Premium 64 (with Windows 7 upgrade coupon)
Asus 20 inch monitor with 1680x1050 maximum resolution

Addressing any of my concerns or the comparison would be appreciated, as well as any further answers to the original questions.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-07-26 19:47:02)

Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6168|New Austin, Not
Uhh to be honest, I don't think you will enjoy lugging around a heavy ass Sager notebook around and across campus. I had a friend bring his Sager 17 inch during the first semester of University last year and by the beginning of the second he bought himself a Asus netbook.

Not to mention your battery life will be absolute shit if you are away from a plug in...and believe me, finding an electrical wall outlet that is unoccupied in or out of a lecture hall are near impossible at times.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

Also, when you're in an engineering lab you will have computers that are quite powerful enough provided.  I'm pretty sure they have to assume that you don't have a computer when you go there.

(I was in engineering last year at uni, computer labs were open 24/7)
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Thanks to both of you.

Can anyone elaborate further on the transportation? I'm getting tempted by this idea, but I want to be sure I won't be annoyed at my decision.
Stimey
­
+786|6116|Ontario | Canada
I only bought a "gaming laptop" because my parents are separated and I have to travel between their houses constantly.
Other than that situation I see virtually no need for a laptop with such power.
­
­
­
­
­
­
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
To add to my question about the elaboration, are there any ATX cases which are more conducive to traveling or shipping ease?
Wallpaper
+303|5990|The pool

nukchebi0 wrote:

To add to my question about the elaboration, are there any ATX cases which are more conducive to traveling or shipping ease?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … =0&y=0

Or along those lines. You can get lan boxes with handles, too
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Also, to add to this, I scoped out a desktop near what I would get if I did go the desktop route. The parts are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7 920
Arctic CoolingFreezer 7 Pro (I heard this worked for LGA1366; if not, please recommend another cooler/tell me if the Intel stock cooler doesn't suck completely like the E6xxx series' did).
3GB Patriot DDR3 1066 tri-channel
Evga GTX 260 Core 216 (non-negotiable; I'll only buy Evga cards after they gifted me my 8800 GTS 512)
Seasonic S12 SS-550HT
Samsung SpinPoint 500GB
Samsung DVD burner (no need for Bluray)
ThermalTake Tsunami (very open to suggestions here, just chose it because it was top rated and didn't look too ostentatious; Wallpaper, your's were noted)

How does that look?
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5607|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … ler%201366
I don't think Freezer 7 Pro is strong enough for i7, or any quad for that matter, from what I've heard here. This one is good I guess.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

Maybe up it to 6GB? 4 is pretty much the standard minimum now, even my laptop has it.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Okay, I'll take that into consideration.

Max/Bertster, can you describe in more detail how I'd travel with the PC?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
After reading around on other forums, and hearing other kids in college say they should have gone the nice desktop + cheap laptop route, I'm about 90% leaning in that direction. Before I make any decision, though, I would really appreciate learning exactly how to travel with it, and suggestions for a non lanbox case that I would be able to take on an airplane. I'm not really liking the idea of paying $40 each way to take it home in the summer (as it would cost through Fed Ex/UPS, but I also dislike the look of a lanbox, and don't really want to complicate building my computer by using one. Thusly, a normal case conducive to traveling would be nice.

Additionally, I am going to get DDR3 if I do use this solution, as DDR3 is a decent idea with Core i7 (although a waste with any Core 2 system, I've been told.) Does the DDR3 speed matter - that is, will I see a difference between 1066, 1333, and 1600 Mhz?
max
Vela Incident

wiki wrote:

The IATA guideline states:
Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). The sum of these three dimensions should not exceed 45 in (115 cm).
The Cooler Master Elite is 189 mm x 425 mm x 485 mm so that would fit perfectly within those maximum sizes. Just take the case with you into the cabin.

If you don't want to take it into a cabin, take a suitcase, pad it out with something (clothes, towels, whatever) and put the PC inside. If you have a really heavy heatsink you probs should remove it.

The type as well as the speed of the ram hardly effects performance in real life. You just need RAM that is fast enough to cope with your CPU over clock. To get a decent OC out of your PC you'll need DDR2-1066 for Core 2, DDR2-800 for Phenom II and DDR3-1600 for i7

Oh yeah, the F7P is way too small for an i7. You'll need something better like Xigmatek HDT-S1283, or the Noctua NH-U12P. Panz can make more and better suggestions for i7 heatinks
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6667|UK
not an expert here but shuttle pc are designed for portability.  You can get barebones one's too and customise.

shuttle: http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-2/

barebone shuttle (uk site though) http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Barebones

I think bradth3dork has one he carries from switz to US and back.

Last edited by m3thod (2009-07-28 03:04:29)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT

max wrote:

wiki wrote:

The IATA guideline states:
Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). The sum of these three dimensions should not exceed 45 in (115 cm).
The Cooler Master Elite is 189 mm x 425 mm x 485 mm so that would fit perfectly within those maximum sizes. Just take the case with you into the cabin.

If you don't want to take it into a cabin, take a suitcase, pad it out with something (clothes, towels, whatever) and put the PC inside. If you have a really heavy heatsink you probs should remove it.

The type as well as the speed of the ram hardly effects performance in real life. You just need RAM that is fast enough to cope with your CPU over clock. To get a decent OC out of your PC you'll need DDR2-1066 for Core 2, DDR2-800 for Phenom II and DDR3-1600 for i7

Oh yeah, the F7P is way too small for an i7. You'll need something better like Xigmatek HDT-S1283, or the Noctua NH-U12P. Panz can make more and better suggestions for i7 heatinks
Oh, good, the Cooler Master sounds promising, as does its price. I'm assuming, based off of it similarity in size to my Cavalier, that it will be able to accommodate everything easily. I just realized another issue with taking a computer on the plane, though - security. Won't the X-rays/metal detector mess up the hard drive or other components? I'm nearly certain I will be going this route, especially considering how cheap a quality Lenovo is at the moment, but I still want to ensure I understand everything before I commit to it.

(M3thod, I looked at your suggestion, but I'm not sure that will satisfy one of the carry on requirements, nor do I like the idea of such a design and working in one. Thanks for the input, though.)

I'll look for DDR3-1600 kits, then. I really want to get a good overclock out of the Core i7 920. IS it best to look for 3x2GB kits, like suggested above?

I'll likewise look at the heatsinks.

One final question: should I wait on this computer until September/October to allow me to adjust to college, and ensure I qualify for an Evga step-up to a GT 300 GPU?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard