KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6645|949

The Stranger - Albert Camus (hopelessness/absurdity of man)
Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan (using reason/engaging in skepticism)
Faust - Goethe (allegory on the battle between life and omniscience)

Those aren't necessarily my favorite all time books (with the exception of the Stranger - great read), just ones that have greatly impacted me.

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice.  Never read it or seen the movie, so wish me luck!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The Stranger - Albert Camus (hopelessness/absurdity of man)
Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan (using reason/engaging in skepticism)
Faust - Goethe (allegory on the battle between life and omniscience)

Those aren't necessarily my favorite all time books (with the exception of the Stranger - great read), just ones that have greatly impacted me.

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice.  Never read it or seen the movie, so wish me luck!
You massive poofter, Jane Austen is a slut, I fucking hated having to read Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Persuasion and Northanger Abbey. Absolutely dire chick-lit for the repressed period-female, fuck that. That said, I do love The Outsider, and moreso I consistently like Camus' style too, so I guess you redeem yourself.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6524|Gold Coast
Anything Matthew Reilly - Temple, Ice Station, Area 7, Hell Island, Scarecrow, Seven Ancient Wonders, Six Sacred Stones. Read in that order.
Anything Tom Clancy - Red Dawn springs to mind

Ive got a bunch of other books but they're not that great.
Mentions:
The Cage - Some British guy in Nam
In the Company of Heroes - Mike Durrant's book about how he got captured in Somalia

I also need to jott down some titles from this thread for reading too....
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5647|Southern California
-I am America and So can you!
-Catcher in the Rye.
-How Johnny got his gun.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6340|Australia

KuSTaV wrote:

Anything Matthew Reilly - Temple, Ice Station, Area 7, Hell Island, Scarecrow, Seven Ancient Wonders, Six Sacred Stones.
+ Contest and Hover Car Racer.
(and Scarecrow comes before Hell Island)

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King (The third book in particular - The Waste Lands)

Shogun - James Clavell (set in 1600, it revolves around an Englishman whose ship wrecks off Japan. Loosely based on actual events, I believe.)
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6505|Land of Cotton
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series is good)
Fahrenheit 451
Manifold Time

I chose those because I enjoyed them and I would read them again.
Smithereener
+138|6329|California
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser

If you liked 1984, I would recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley if you haven't done so already. Actually preferred Brave New World to 1984 tbh.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6561|San Diego, CA, USA
The Bible - God and friends
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide - Douglas Adams
Dragonlance: The Annotated Chronicles - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5624|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
Liberty & Tyranny by Mark R. Levin > All

above people's suggestions
Reciprocity
+721|6593|the dank(super) side of Oregon
-Legends of the Ferengi· Ira Steven Behr & Robert Hewitt Wolfe  -a Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine novel

-Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 by L. Ron Hubbard -they made a book out of that super movie

-The Turner Diaries by William Luther Pierce -Timmy McVeigh thought it was great
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6524|Gold Coast

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

KuSTaV wrote:

Anything Matthew Reilly - Temple, Ice Station, Area 7, Hell Island, Scarecrow, Seven Ancient Wonders, Six Sacred Stones.
+ Contest and Hover Car Racer.
(and Scarecrow comes before Hell Island)
Meh. I thought Contest and HCR were quite boring. Contest was okay, but compared to everything else, it just lacked... well I dont know really. Ive only read it once, so I should give it another read.
HCR was different altogether, but thats what it was supposed to be, I guess. Alright, but much the same reason as Contest.

Temple is by far the best EVAR.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Bible
Quran
Bhagavad Gita

I love classical comedy.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5991|Blue Mountain State
Masters of Chaos

Shooter

The Hatchet
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Benzin
+576|6011
It's funny - reading these posts, I can tell who the more intelligent/mature members of the forum are.

M.O.A.B wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

1. Blood River -- Talks about how the Congo has had a completely backwards development. Instead of improving, the country regressed. Very interesting read. The author's name is Tom Butcher.
Thats sitting on this desk in front of me right now
Started to read it? How do you like it?

Last edited by CapnNismo (2009-07-10 23:49:00)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6161|'straya
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Lord of the Rings (Trilogy + Silmarillion)
Dreamland
Lai
+186|6164

Roomba wrote:

Damn, how could I forget that. It is probably thé most epic modern work. However, I do not think the whole series is good, in fact I particularly disliked the later added (fourth) chapter ("Mostly Harmless" I think).

The problem with the Hitchhiker's Guide is that there is one series of books, one TV series I believe, two movies, and at least one hearplay I think; all of which together make up the complete story, but none of which are fully coherent. The books, especially the last part, were written later to apply some structure, but in the final hearplay episodes the last book chapter (which apparently more people disliked) was revised.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Most of the books I read are history or science related.

Not exactly literary masterpieces but entertaining non-the-less. These are just three that come to mind right now.

A Brief History of Time
America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation
Five Points

Currently finishing up What Hath God Wrought
Anything historical by Oxford Press is good . They are long reads but detailed.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6597|England

Lai wrote:

Roomba wrote:

Damn, how could I forget that. It is probably thé most epic modern work. However, I do not think the whole series is good, in fact I particularly disliked the later added (fourth) chapter ("Mostly Harmless" I think).
Mostly Harmless was the fifth in the series I'm pretty sure, the fourth was "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish."  But I do agree that Mostly Harmless isn't the best in the series.

Last edited by KingCheese (2009-07-11 03:46:51)

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5974|Places 'n such
The Drowned And The Saved
To Kill A Mockingbird
Down And Out In Paris And London/1984 - couldn't decide between the two, both are epic.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Lord of the Flies
Naked Teen Sluts go Wild 3
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

CapnNismo wrote:

It's funny - reading these posts, I can tell who the more intelligent/mature members of the forum are.

M.O.A.B wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

1. Blood River -- Talks about how the Congo has had a completely backwards development. Instead of improving, the country regressed. Very interesting read. The author's name is Tom Butcher.
Intelligent and mature? Like all the pseudo-intellectual fuckers that list 1984 and other cliché-classics that they were made to study in high-school for their age-16 exams? Or do you mean the other group of people that read Stephen King and Tom Clancy recycled-borefests, nicely filling that stereotype of casual-reader that bases their book tastes much in the same way an apathetic listener would base their music-tastes from the 'Top Albums' chart? There are no intelligent readers on BF2s, and the proof for that lies in the fact that no single member has mentioned James Joyce in 2 entire pages of contribution.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-07-11 09:35:08)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

CapnNismo wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Not yet, busy reading a book on Operation Valkyrie at the moment.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6634|London, England
Outside of school given books (Lord of the flies etc..) the only books, as in proper books, I have actually bothered to read is Lord of the rings. It's true. I'm not a book person, I should read more but I don't. It's down to the simple fact that I grew up hating books/fiction because of the shit they used to make us read in school and how the teachers would analyse books and poems in the most ridiculous way, it really put me off.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

Mekstizzle wrote:

Outside of school given books (Lord of the flies etc..) the only books, as in proper books, I have actually bothered to read is Lord of the rings. It's true. I'm not a book person, I should read more but I don't. It's down to the simple fact that I grew up hating books/fiction because of the shit they used to make us read in school and how the teachers would analyse books and poems in the most ridiculous way, it really put me off.
I'm much the same way, though I read a lot more now than I would use to.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6483

Mekstizzle wrote:

Most books that are worth reading are meant to be analysed and understood for deeper meanings. It's not 'ridiculous', you're clearly a part of the demographic that is happy reading 5-words-per-sentence Jeremy Clarkson and considering that as 'enlightening literature'. Proper books... Lord of the Rings? Did you even understand the allegory before watching the films? These book threads make me rage.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard