justice
OctoPoster
+978|6738|OctoLand
Been posted? couldn't see it.

Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at small, low-cost netbooks, but will eventually be used on PCs as well.
Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," the firm said in its official blog.
The operating system, which will run on an open source licence, was a "natural extension" of its Chrome browser, the firm said.
The news comes just months before Microsoft launches the latest version of its operating system, called Windows 7.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm
I know fucking karate
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6411|Finland

Google is aiming for world domination. Thats the last proof we need.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
I don't care, there needs to be some real competition with Microsoft on the OS market. Apple's OS is too bespoke and not very flexible, and Linux will never be mainstream. There needs to be a viable alternate to MS. Hopefully Google can do it, and do it better.

From what I've read it'll be more for the computer that wants to do the simple basics, but do it really well, rather than anything flashy.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-08 05:46:09)

some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6388

Your start bar will be a large input box serving as program starter, whole computer search, address bar, google search and command line.
I don't know, Google has a tendency to oversimplify things.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6544
Wouldn't this be part of Google's cloud computing goal.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6620|EU

Finally a system for my mom!
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6146|'straya

legionair wrote:

Agreed.

That should be their catch-phrase.

"Google Chrome OS, even your mum can use it"
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

legionair wrote:

Ubuntu is waaay ahead of you.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6450|The Twilight Zone
Can't wait, I'm enjoying their browser a lot
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6624|UK
Saw this on Twitter trending topics this morning. Looks interesting ... I think.
Ioan92
+337|5719
Google making an OS? Will it be free?
.Sup
be nice

Ioan92 wrote:

Google making an OS? Will it be free?
so far everything they made was free, I think, so I would say yes
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
competitor to Mac OS, not Windows
.Sup
be nice

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

why so?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6617|Mhz

I think this will struggle if it's ever made.  Windows has it's market pretty much nailed down, gamers wont budge from windows, businesses wont either, the average home user will be too scared to change so that leaves a comparatively tiny number left, most of which are on Linux.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6411|Finland

It is not designed for office work or such, it just is as simplified as it can (net pc mostly) + lightweight. Also read about possibility of this having part of the OS downloaded from web depending of the user, all personal settings and layout and such. Pretty cool if it gets into final OS.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

why so?
Speed, simplicity, security - all features that Apple touts over Microsoft, particularly the latter two. That, and Microsoft's biggest advantage is market share - because everyone else is using it, it makes sense to use it as well so you have full advantage of software being developed for the largest platform. Obviously Google isn't going to be able to take over the market share just cause.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6617|Mhz

It'll be good for portable, low spec machines, like PDAs and netbooks and whatnot if it comes pre-installed.  It has no place in the PC market though.
.Sup
be nice

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

why so?
Speed, simplicity, security - all features that Apple touts over Microsoft, particularly the latter two. That, and Microsoft's biggest advantage is market share - because everyone else is using it, it makes sense to use it as well so you have full advantage of software being developed for the largest platform. Obviously Google isn't going to be able to take over the market share just cause.
I disagree with the security part, I think OSX' security sucks big time. I think at the beginning it will compete with Linux then Windows perhaps-don't underestimate Google's programmers.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

why so?
I disagree with the security part, I think OSX' security sucks big time. I think at the beginning it will compete with Linux then Windows perhaps-don't underestimate Google's programmers.
You're right to disagree. Security in OSX is nowhere near as solid as in a modern version of Windows.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

why so?
DirectX is ms only.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
.Sup
be nice

DeathUnlimited wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

why so?
DirectX is ms only.
Why would direct X be a limitation? Games can be played on all platforms. If Google succeeds with their OS then they will have a direct x alternative.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

.Sup wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

.Sup wrote:

why so?
DirectX is ms only.
Why would direct X be a limitation? Games can be played on all platforms. If Google succeeds with their OS then they will have a direct x alternative.
They have OpenGL but most devs only make games for DX, MS has its monopoly strictly because of extreme marketing and exclusive rights for DX.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

.Sup wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

.Sup wrote:

why so?
DirectX is ms only.
There already are DX alternatives. None is as widely used so the games are not so widely available or as cheap.

You can get Mac versions of lots of games. Doesn't mean they're good or cheap or easy to find.

If you want decent games on a PC-type platform you need DX.
.Sup
be nice

Bertster7 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

DirectX is ms only.
There already are DX alternatives. None is as widely used so the games are not so widely available or as cheap.

You can get Mac versions of lots of games. Doesn't mean they're good or cheap or easy to find.

If you want decent games on a PC-type platform you need DX.
yes atm it is so but lets wait and see how popular the new OS gets. If theres enough popularity then games will be made for Google's own "direct x".

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard