Hakei
Banned
+295|5988
Okay, so I'm sitting at my PC unaware that I left something on the stove that was burning, I get hit with the ugly smell and rush down to find my porridge is severely overcooked. During the time I was throwing every household cleaning item into the pan to remove the burnt porridge I had the really disgusting Burning smell in my nose, my questions is - What makes something smell good/bad, do we teach ourselves what's good/bad to smell after we know that an event associated with that smell is negative/positive. If it's predefined that some smells are good/bad, do other animals have the opposite and react differently to these smells, can it be said that nature in a sense associates burning with negativity, to which I question why because certain Australian trees rely on their burning to spread their seed.

Thoughts?
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5971|Blue Mountain State
yay poptarts
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Jrdeacs
+22|5891

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

yay poptarts
lol you can burn them too.... if the toaster is turned up to high
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Nature vs nurture?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone
I like the stench of my smelly feet
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Are we talking about humans or are we talking about trees? The human sense of smell is related to taste. And the reason we taste is too help distinguish what is good for us. Unfortunately it was hard for our ancestors to acquire fat/calories. That is why those things have a heightened desirability. .. and so we are a little ass backwards when it comes to the natural evolution of having our sense dictate good and bad.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT
You can't ascribe a nebulous "nature" to the characteristics of disparate organisms. A tree and a human being live in different environment, have different mechanisms for performing most of life's basic functions, and even requires different resources to survive. Different organisms will have adapted different "views" of burning dependent on what this burning means for them, as well as their level of sentience. We associate bad burning smells with things we dislike, or aren't conducive to our survival, such as burnt food. You'll notice the smell of a wood fire isn't nearly as bad as miscooked food, which makes sense; wood fires help us survive, and thus deserve positive association. For a non-sentient organism such as a tree, it merely adapts to its environment in order to maximize it survival (without any sensory association), as natural selection theory dictates. In the case of the Australian trees, brush fires are frequent, and they provide openings for new plants to grow. Thusly, it makes sense that the trees would release their seeds so that fires activate them - it helps best propagate the species.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6567|London

nukchebi0 wrote:

You can't ascribe a nebulous "nature" to the characteristics of disparate organisms. A tree and a human being live in different environment, have different mechanisms for performing most of life's basic functions, and even requires different resources to survive. Different organisms will have adapted different "views" of burning dependent on what this burning means for them, as well as their level of sentience. We associate bad burning smells with things we dislike, or aren't conducive to our survival, such as burnt food. You'll notice the smell of a wood fire isn't nearly as bad as miscooked food, which makes sense; wood fires help us survive, and thus deserve positive association. For a non-sentient organism such as a tree, it merely adapts to its environment in order to maximize it survival (without any sensory association), as natural selection theory dictates. In the case of the Australian trees, brush fires are frequent, and they provide openings for new plants to grow. Thusly, it makes sense that the trees would release their seeds so that fires activate them - it helps best propagate the species.
da hell? that best be copy pasta
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

wat

Also: porridge is epic. Apparently helps with cholesterol problems or summat. Good on cold mornings imo.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6458|Melbourne - Home of Football
From memory some of the seed shells from the tress here actually require a high temperature to open and spill their seed contents forth, the cycle of fire and renewal is a part of the continent.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
Not sure

for instance dogs like the smell of shit but humans dont.

as in, its a sign not to eat it.

so dogs dont have that sign.

i think you are born with the scent pre-burned into your head to follow the diet of your species.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85

nukchebi0 wrote:

Burning wood doesn't have a natural response linked directly to evolution, it's just a matter of intensity when it comes to things burning. Natural instincts are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more basic than that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard