Poll

Do college grades even matter?

Yes69%69% - 58
No30%30% - 25
Total: 83
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

For those of you that attend college/university, how important are grades to you?

I learned out of High School that grades were useful if I wanted to go to a 4 year university right out, which I did not. At that time I was riding a 2.6 because of my lack of caring, but I was top 5% on the SAT scores and top 1% on all my high school aptitude tests.

Even in college now, I cant be fucked to care about grades. College is about the degree, not about the grades. No one gloats about getting a 4.0 in college. Besides, in California at least, if you show some form of effort at a community college, get a 2 year degree, and transfer to a 4 year, you save a shit ton of money, have to take less classes, and your GPA is not nearly as important for a freshman student.

Which validates this statement: C's get degrees.

Are grades important to you?
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6352|West NY
I wouldn't know but from what I've heard it's more about what you learn and retain through education than how you did when it comes to being employed

Last edited by Noobpatty (2009-07-01 10:05:40)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

I've never even been checked on. I just put down Associates degree from ... community college. No employer of mine has ever verified it. Good thing too because I still have 5 credits of math before I can graduate. I'm sure there are some companies and recruiting offices that check up on that stuff, but most people take your word for it. And no one has ever asked me what my GPA was. They just want to see a degree.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5748|شمال
Am sorry to say that, but : Yes!!

I don't think I will have a good chance as a "foreigner" to get a job with all D's and E's
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

No one has ever asked for my grades. I have my degree and that's all that matters.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6412|Finland

Grades matter if you are going to work part time at uni. I'm planning to do that to get 1800€ month for working a bit.

e. You need decent grades to get the job....

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-07-01 10:16:24)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

The only time top grades have ever been a requirement for me has been when going for internship.  No company has ever asked for my grades.  It's all about the experience.  The degree and internship to get in the door of the top companies, but experience to advance.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK
on my degree good grades in year 2 and 3 are required for a good degree. so yes
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6573|London
the only grades that matter in life are:

the ones that get you into uni
in uni, the ones that get you a good degree
JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

As an employer, it means shit all to me. In fact, the college graduates I have in with me have known shit all practical. In fact, give me a guy with 2 GCSE's and 2 years experience any day.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Nope grades don't really matter but I have an inferitory comex and love high numbers. Funny as hell SATS don't really matter too much either. There are ways to get into a decent college and have a low SAT score. I had a really low one and am still going to NJCU. With a 3.x gpa since I was able to mess around with how NJCU took my credits
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Grades are important though if you want to get into Graduate School or higher.  And you need to maintain at least a B-average if you don't want to get kicked out.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6545
I will say yes, grades are important.  Because it does give you a better chance landing that first job.  But after that they mean nothing.  Just don't lie on your resume.  I know a person who put they had a masters and got caught.  They lost that job.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
so far they didn't matter
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6643
fuck yea they matter in a way or the GPA matters especially during these hard times... u dont want to be some average mofo.. speaking from expereince since I graduated from college....recently

Last edited by blademaster (2009-07-01 12:12:44)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6568|Portland, OR, USA
If you plan on getting into a good graduate school (and it's probably a good idea to get at least your masters degree in this market) then yes, they do matter.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

It depends...

What are you studying?
Do you plan on going to grad. school?
What school are you attending?

If you don't plan on getting a Master's degree, then grades don't matter as much since you don't need to get into grad. school. If you're majoring in liberal arts (getting a B.A. and not a B.S.) then grades probably matter a little bit more since everyone will be getting 4.0's left and right. If you're majoring in a science (B.S.) then grades don't matter as much since it's more difficult, and getting 2.0's or 3.0's are much more acceptable, you'll still be able to find work. And as far as what school you go to, a 2.0 from Harvard is still way better than a 4.0 at a community college. If you're going to an IV league school or some world-famous university, the brand name will help out a lot and you won't have to worry about your grades as much. But if you're going to some back-woods community college, you need a high GPA.

To answer the question: Are grades important to you?
No, not really. I like to think I'm going to a decent school, so a 2.0 or a 2.5 should get me into a decent grad school or get me a decent job. However, that doesn't mean I don't try. I guess at this point I have selective effort. For the classes I'm interested in, I try harder in and do better in. For the rest, I'm getting C-'s and D+'s. Doesn't bother me, I just need to keep my GPA above a 2.0 to graduate.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-07-01 12:25:14)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6841|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Grades don't really matter that much for me, I need to have over 50% on my exam to pass the course, and graduating gymnasium here is the only requirement for University.

But in uni I will have to get good grades on my BS degree for a chance to study for a masters degree abroad.
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6540|Sammamish, WA
Well when you can put on your resume that you graduated with honors, especially from a well-recognized school, that's a big deal.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
If you plan to ever go to a good grad school, you need decent to good grades.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha
My grades matter shit all.

Mind you, I'm in Europe. All I do is pass a course and collect credit. If you got the degree, you got the degree.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Benzin
+576|5997
If you wish to do something with your degree beyond just looking for a job to bring the bread home, yes, the grades matter. As everyone said, grad school and anything that helps you achieve something to pad your resume (internships, grad with honors, etc.). Look at it this way: Your resume is the one thing you have that can get you a job. Shit resume, no job. Kick ass resume, better chances (there are no guarantees in life, friend).
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6736|Pakistan/England
well luckily all the good jobs have some sort of required minimum grade, and luckily the british university system has a grading scale which is given along with your degree (i.e. a first-class degree in aerospace engineering or a upper-second class degree in business, etc). in short, if you give a shit about your career and have some sort of aspirations in life then college grades are everything. if you want to work full-time at mcdonalds then maybe not so important.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

JdeFalconr wrote:

Well when you can put on your resume that you graduated with honors, especially from a well-recognized school, that's a big deal.
Unless you can't use your knowledge for jack shit, or are completely technically inept

Which seems to be the curve of the youth today.
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6540|Sammamish, WA

stryyker wrote:

JdeFalconr wrote:

Unless you can't use your knowledge for jack shit, or are completely technically inept

Which seems to be the curve of the youth today.
True. However, to an employer just knowing that you're the kind of person who's able to get grades that high at a four-year college is nothing but a benefit to you as an employee. I would also say that you could use that to ask for higher starting pay, saying that you're a high-value individual.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2009-07-01 15:52:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard