DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

Ty wrote:

American Football really should be called "American Rugby" because although the game has about as much similarity with rugby as it does with football at least the balls are the same shape.

I'm all for it being called "Handegg" though just 'cause it made me laugh.
They are all forms of football.

Be it Australian, American, Gaelic, Union, League or Soccer they are all just forms of football and none alone hold the sole title 'football'. Even what Europeans call football is technically Association Football, they're just to lazy (and arrogant) to use its proper name.

Also there is no definition stipulating a ball has to be spherical.
mikkel
+383|6600

Stingray24 wrote:

Why just NASCAR and not all racing?  Oh that's right, because you're from Europe and you don't understand it.  Carry on.
Yeah, the complexities of NASCAR are way beyond simple-minded Europeans. Guys, watch this video before you start commenting negatively about NASCAR.

Last edited by mikkel (2009-06-22 19:37:28)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
Too late, they've commented before they've ever watched a race ... it's actually F1 drivers who just hold down the pedal.  Oh and flip their flappy paddle gearbox like an xbox controller.

F1 skill on display ... wait for it, wait for it aaaaaw

Last edited by Stingray24 (2009-06-22 19:48:46)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6446|Chicago, IL
curling and bowling are right up there
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6638|Montreal, Qc, Canada

Jenspm wrote:

iPwnerrrr wrote:

Golf, Tennis, Baseball sometimes. Its only exciting when its like 10-9 in extras.
how the fuck can you mention Tennis?
Exactly what I thought, have you ever played tennis? lol
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
curling or darts
A12345
+77|6469
combat sports are the only sports everything else is just a game

but seriously id say poker or most any competition that doesnt require you to be in some kind of better then average shape
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6742|Reality
poker is not sport FFS
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

Stubbee wrote:

poker is not sport FFS
niether is golf to these "all day on a computer" motherfuckers . . .
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5496|England
chess
VicktorVauhn
+319|6391|Southern California

Finray wrote:

I'd say American Football.

Yes, let's take Rugby, put shoulder pads on, and ram into each other @ full speed.

K......
Honestly its pretty physical from the players, even with pads.

And the fact that they stop every play to set up moves demands a shit ton of strategy from the coach. In some ways almost like planning a bunch of little mini wars.

I am not a fan but if you wanna talk about sports that don't require physical and mental dexterity your pretty far off.

ph1shman420 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

golf
Ha.  Have you walked a full 18 hole course lately?  You'll feel like you've done a full workout after all those swings and walking.
this

try it and get back to us
Honestly, there are carts, and caddies carry the bags. I wouldn't call it extremely physical... its just walking around.
BUT he said physical AND mental, and golf is pretty mentally challenging. Your launching a tiny ball really really fucking far on a variety of surfaces. There is A LOT to account for and a lot of corrections to be made. It is definitely a thoughtful game.

I am going to have to go with baseball. Maybe because I don't understand it at that well and there is little strong physical activity to point at (throwing or hitting as hard as the do takes muscle, but I wouldn't consider it ovely physical as its one brief act that lasts less then a second.)
Sure they have to pitch one way to one guy and a different way to another, and depending on how they hit you may have to move the field around... but its not really the complex strategy or plays you see in many other sports.

People who say any racing have obviously never been in a race car. Its fucking strenuous, My POS little car is enough to pull muscles.I never considered it a sport or saw it as physical until I started doing it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Stingray24 wrote:

Difference in downforce is another significant difference.  The downforce generated by an F1 car is equal to the car weight at around 100mph and almost 2.5 times the car weight at full speed.  The downforce in a NASCAR is far less for a much heavier car.  Though F1 may not have traction control anymore, they still have a lot of electronics to assist the driver, where in NASCAR everything is up to the driver.  F1 uses flappy paddle gearboxes that are computer controlled, except for 1st gear.  Not NASCAR, work that clutch and gearshift.  In other words, everything is manual. 

What is interesting and what is not depends on the preference of the individual.  Personally, I find almost all forms of auto racing interesting.  NASCAR has side by side racing, F1 has breakneck speed around circuits, ALMS has multiple classes on one track etc etc etc.  Each offers something that the other cannot.
It sounds a lot like (Test) cricket tbh... the interest is in the intrigue, as much as in the mental and technical battles as a spectacle.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
VicktorVauhn
Nascar is boring as fuck.... but a lot more talent and tactics then people give it credit. Its just a different kind of racing. I think I would still give the nod to F1 being more difficult, but that is because they are some of the most intense race cars around.
F1 you can be faster, make a pass and head back off. Getting up behind a guy will actually slow you down if the track isn't straight.

Nascar is more about working in and around other drivers, and the air coming off of their car. You can't really break away and storm off into the lead as much as you can in other motorsports, you are somewhat reliant on the other drivers and other cars for your success. You have to be able to work off of other cars as much as your own for the win.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

burnzz wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

poker is not sport FFS
niether is golf to these "all day on a computer" motherfuckers . . .
Obviously since the peckerheads haven't tried the game. I also wouldn't go and call car sports least sporty at all. It requires a shitload of physical stamina to drive a sportscar of any kind for 2+ hours in one sitting. And that you don't get while sitting in a bus going to school blowing air on your dick while you try to make sex with Pikachu on your Nintendi.
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5423|Athens, GA

Stubbee wrote:

poker is not sport FFS
try playing for millions of dollars for 12 hrs a day for 10 days in a row. let me know how that works out for ya
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6438|King Of The Islands

DrunkFace wrote:

Ty wrote:

American Football really should be called "American Rugby" because although the game has about as much similarity with rugby as it does with football at least the balls are the same shape.

Be it Australian, American, Gaelic, Union, League or Soccer they are all just forms of football and none alone hold the sole title 'football'. Even what Europeans call football is technically Association Football, they're just to lazy (and arrogant) to use its proper name.

I believe there'd be a definition where the ball actually has to make contact with the foot at least twice a game.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
VicktorVauhn

Cheez wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Ty wrote:

I believe there'd be a definition where the ball actually has to make contact with the foot at least twice a game.
You mean like kick off and field goal opportunities?
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5423|Athens, GA
and punts
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

ph1shman420 wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

poker is not sport FFS
try playing for millions of dollars for 12 hrs a day for 10 days in a row. let me know how that works out for ya
Try working as a CFO 12 hrs a day for weeks on end making multi billion dollar decisions on a regular basis and tell me how that works out for you. It's not a sport, it's a game.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5399

Cheez wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Ty wrote:

you guys know nothing and act like you do lol
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

I'd say out of the major sports baseball is the least "sporty".  Much of the game relies on mental decisions and knowledge of the game itself more so than physical activity.

Isn't there another topic where the merits of calling certain activities "sports" was debated?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5749|شمال

Jackabo wrote:

'eSports'
I agree...but I still wanna see eSports in the olympics
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5423|Athens, GA

DrunkFace wrote:

ph1shman420 wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

poker is not sport FFS
Try working as a CFO 12 hrs a day for weeks on end making multi billion dollar decisions on a regular basis and tell me how that works out for you. It's not a sport, it's a game.
so what is the definition of a sport?

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'd say out of the major sports baseball is the least "sporty".  Much of the game relies on mental decisions and knowledge of the game itself more so than physical activity.

Isn't there another topic where the merits of calling certain activities "sports" was debated?
yea but cant remember which thread

Last edited by ph1shman420 (2009-08-18 11:47:03)

Red Forman
Banned
+402|5399
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Some view sports as differing from games based on the fact that there are usually higher levels of organization and profit (not always monetary) involved in sports. Accurate records are kept and updated for most sports at the highest levels, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.

The term sports is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities in which offense and defense are played, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports.

Sports that are subjectively judged are distinct from other judged activities such as beauty pageants and bodybuilding shows, because in the former the activity performed is the primary focus of evaluation, rather than the physical attributes of the contestant as in the latter (although "presentation" or "presence" may also be judged in both activities).

Sports are most often played just for fun or for the simple fact that people need exercise to stay in good physical condition.

Although they do not always succeed, sports participants are expected to display good sportsmanship, standards of conduct such as being respectful of opponents and officials, and congratulating the winner when losing. - wiki

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-08-18 11:48:33)

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5423|Athens, GA
also, cfo is a job, not a game. good try, though

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard