Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
Breakaway from F1

Breaking story, check BBC Sport ticket at the top, it's just come through

BBC Sport wrote:

FORMULA ONE:

Formula One Teams' Association to set up a rival F1 championship
Formula One has been thrown into chaos with the news that the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) plan to set up a rival championship in 2010.

World motorsport boss Max Mosley had written to five of the potential breakaway teams in a bid to end the bitter row over budget cap proposals.

But the appeal of the FIA chief does not appear to have had any impact.

Following a four-hour meeting, Fota announced that it had grown frustrated with the stance of Mosley and the FIA.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a Fota statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
more details soon

Last edited by Kptk92 :D (2009-06-18 16:43:41)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
awww and Williams won't be a part of it </3 (they signed up for F1 2010)
Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
More info
Formula One has been thrown into chaos with the news that the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) plan to set up a rival championship in 2010.

World motorsport boss Max Mosley had written to five of the potential breakaway teams in a bid to end the bitter row over budget cap proposals.

But the appeal of the FIA chief does not appear to have had any impact.

Following a four-hour meeting, Fota announced that it had grown frustrated with the stance of Mosley and the FIA.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a Fota statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
Well well well, F1 really is in peril now. Up yours Mosley and Ecclestone!
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

So which teams are joining/staying?
Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
8 of the 10 Fota teams are joining up with the new championship (everyone except Williams and Force India)

Gives new teams a better chance to get into F1 next year
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6822|Grapevine, TX
sounds good for the fans, the teams and the drivers, good to go!
Will like to see the new series' regulations and rules.
Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
Maybe Canadian Grand Prix will return ?
Kez
+778|5696|London, UK
And Silverstone could stay holy shit
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6227|S.A. Australia
Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso are all going to their own championship.  See Mosley you stupid prick, this is what happens when you try to be a big hero in revolutionizing the sport.  Mind you, it could be interesting to see how they go on their own...
Serious Flex
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6726|Singapore

Kptk92 wrote:

And Silverstone could stay holy shit
no offence to british fans but i hate silverstone in f1 games. I cant seem to find the right line around the track. I suit other tracks better:D
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

The article lacks the main issue of FOTA ... it's not so much the cap on expenditure but rather that teams will have different rules apply to them according to how much money they spend on the car ...

I welcome a new series, now to come up with a name for it ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Varegg wrote:

The article lacks the main issue of FOTA ... it's not so much the cap on expenditure but rather that teams will have different rules apply to them according to how much money they spend on the car ...
Wait wat the shit?

You serious? How is that fair?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6749|Scotland

Thank fuck. F1 was getting ridiculous.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

Flecco wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Wait wat the shit?

It's pretty simple really, it's like a handicap in golf. If you spend 60 mill on your car, then the rules are tougher than if you spend 40. Not sure that I like it, but it does make sense.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
They're only planning to set one up or have started planning a new championship, nothing is set in concrete yet. Personally I think it's all abit of hulabaloo, we'll see though. Hopefully it does happen. Fuck the FIA, Max Mosley the sado machist should've resigned a long time ago and the guy has no credibility, and Bernie is just a fucking weirdo anyway

They kept on slowing the cars down, adding stupid rules, having silly nonsense outside of the races etc.. and I personally wouldn't really mind if this really happened.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6749|Scotland

Mekstizzle wrote:

They're only planning to set one up or have started planning a new championship, nothing is set in concrete yet. Personally I think it's all abit of hulabaloo, we'll see though. Hopefully it does happen. Fuck the FIA, Max Mosley the sado machist should've resigned a long time ago and the guy has no credibility, and Bernie is just a fucking weirdo anyway

They kept on slowing the cars down, adding stupid rules, having silly nonsense outside of the races etc.. and I personally wouldn't really mind if this really happened.
Yeah, I mean remember the days of Hakkinen and Schumacher and even Alonso. They were fantastic F1 Championships. Now it's all gone down the fucking drain.
Varegg
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

Zimmer wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah, I mean remember the days of Hakkinen and Schumacher and even Alonso. They were fantastic F1 Championships. Now it's all gone down the fucking drain.
Agreed ... hence why I look forward to an eventually new championship that hopefully is as cool as the good old days ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Benzin
+576|5991
I still find F1 quite good. I think the rule changes should be welcomed to make the budgets more fair. Look at the smaller teams before these latest rule changes: they were always at the back and never stood a real chance at winning. For the past, what, 3 years? What teams were always at the front? BMW, Ferrari and McLaren. How is that even fun to watch? At that point, if you bet on a driver, you have a 1/6 chance of getting the right one to win and a 1/3 chance of picking the right winning team. How the fuck is that entertainment?
Varegg
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

CapnNismo wrote:

I still find F1 quite good. I think the rule changes should be welcomed to make the budgets more fair. Look at the smaller teams before these latest rule changes: they were always at the back and never stood a real chance at winning. For the past, what, 3 years? What teams were always at the front? BMW, Ferrari and McLaren. How is that even fun to watch? At that point, if you bet on a driver, you have a 1/6 chance of getting the right one to win and a 1/3 chance of picking the right winning team. How the fuck is that entertainment?
The breakaway is about next seasons rules ...
Flecco
iPod is broken.

ghettoperson wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Wait wat the shit?

It's pretty simple really, it's like a handicap in golf. If you spend 60 mill on your car, then the rules are tougher than if you spend 40. Not sure that I like it, but it does make sense.
Yes but what rules can you adjust in F1 to make it more fair?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm a motorsport noob and I only really enjoy watching rally/offroad events anyway... Sure the F1 guys can drive fast in a perfectly crafted vehicle on an awesomely crafted track, but can they go fast on dirt/gravel/ice/sand etc?
Kez
+778|5696|London, UK

Flecco wrote:

I'm a motorsport noob and I only really enjoy watching rally/offroad events anyway... Sure the F1 guys can drive fast in a perfectly crafted vehicle on an awesomely crafted track, but can they go fast on dirt/gravel/ice/sand etc?
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9485.html
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/1/8819.html
Varegg
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

Flecco wrote:

No ... and a great driver on gravel etc etc etc could not drive a F1 car like a F1 driver either ...
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Kptk92 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9485.html
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/1/8819.html
Sweet. Stuff like that doesn't get TV coverage here really though. My net isn't good enough to watch it online.

Varegg wrote:

Flecco wrote:

No ... and a great driver on gravel etc etc etc could not drive a F1 car like a F1 driver either ...
Kezza's article mentions Loeb raping face at one of those events where they are all pitted against each other.
Benzin
+576|5991

Varegg wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

The breakaway is about next seasons rules ...
I know that. Once again - what is wrong with budget caps? That means the teams will be forced to look into cost saving measures and invest in technologies that cut fuel usage while maintaining performance. When a team goes over the budget, they have to share material with other teams. Fabulous, then we might actually get more innovative race tech that makes it into road cars!

Then, the smaller teams will actually have a chance to compete with the budgets of the larger and richer teams. How is this budget thing bad? The big teams all have access to wind tunnels of their own (or rent them, and that isn't cheap, either). Once again, how is this bad?! The larger teams are just complaining the loudest because they know they will have to be even more competitive instead of just throwing gobs of money at the car to make up for lack of talent in the driver. The smaller teams are going along with this because the bigger teams are leaving and will be taking sponsors with them. The smaller teams signing up for the new series have no other choice, it's the only chance they have at keeping sponsor money and keeping their cars and drivers on the track. If they stick with a dying F1 when there is no money in it, the teams won't race because it will get too expensive. Simple as that. Fuck Ferrari and fuck McLaren.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard