Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6599|Stockholm, Sweden
So I've been looking in to buying one of the following:
WD Caviar Black 640GB x2
WD VelociRaptor 150GB
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD

They are all great drives but I can't make up my mind. I will be using it/them for OS/apps and maybe some games, so I want access times to fast and performance to be snappy. Of course the SSD is the fastest but the the 30GB feels a bit limiting, and I only plan to spend around $150 at most, so a 60GB is out of the question.

The WD VR has almost twice as fast access times compared to the WD Black, and that doesn't get faster when you RAID them, probably even slower. Which is why I hesitate on buying two WD Blacks. Read/write performance might get better overall though. But having 1,2 TB as a system drive seems like somewhat of an overkill even if I partition a small part for OS. And I don't wanna waste 1 TB of hard drive space, but filling it up will slow the OS down. So I'm leaning towards the VRaptor or the SSD, but I'm not excluding the Blacks completely. They are pretty cheap and you do get a lot of bang for your buck.

I should also mention that capacity is not an issue for me, I have a 750GB Samsung for storage etc.
Also, mobo: Abit IX38 QuadGT

Thanks!
MECtallica
+73|6497|jalalabad
i have a 500gb and its almost full of games D:
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6407|Finland

WD Caviar Blacks or Samsung F1s.

SSDs are terribly overpriced and overhyped atm. IMO couple seconds faster load times are defo not worth 200€ invest (+ some drives are having issues with long term performance when more than half full). And 30GB drive just would make me sad, tiny

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-12 06:26:16)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

SSDs are terribly overpriced and overhyped atm. IMO couple seconds faster load times are defo not worth 200€ invest (+ some drives are having issues with long term performance when more than half full).
Some are outstanding though. I've used a few that have performed exceptionally. Some have had quite sluggish crppy performance though. Read lots and lots of reviews before buying a specific SSD.

I built a system for someone using 2x60GB SSDs in RAID0 (OCZ Vertexes - like in the OP) for his OS disk and that was blindingly fast.

The SSD fitted to the MacBook Air however, which I use from time to time, is shite. No appreciable difference between that and the standard 5400rpm drive that is fitted to the cheaper model.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-06-12 06:37:27)

Microwave
_
+515|6647|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Don't get an ssd using the JMicron controller, get one of the new OCZ's or Samsung's.

I have a Samsung Spinpoint F1 and a WD Caviar Black and they're both awesome.,
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
The only SSD I'm interested in is The OCZ Vertes 30GB or perhaps even 60GB. And they are kickass. But expensive nonetheless.

But I am a bit confused regarding WD Black (or WD AAKS/Blue) 640GB in raid 0, on some forums I see ppl that are getting better access times with 2 or 3 drives in raid, around 8 ms or even less, which is less than what a single Black can manage. These ppl have the ICH10R southbridge which is apparently great for handling RAID-configurations - I have the ICH9R. It should be quite good as well?
On the other hand some ppl tell me that you can never get better access times with raid 0 since the controler must access more discs. But as I stated above this doesnt seem to be the case.
And if the WD Blacks in Raid0 can reach around 8ms in access time, then there is really no point in getting a VRaptor right?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

The only SSD I'm interested in is The OCZ Vertes 30GB or perhaps even 60GB. And they are kickass. But expensive nonetheless.

But I am a bit confused regarding WD Black (or WD AAKS/Blue) 640GB in raid 0, on some forums I see ppl that are getting better access times with 2 or 3 drives in raid, around 8 ms or even less, which is less than what a single Black can manage. These ppl have the ICH10R southbridge which is apparently great for handling RAID-configurations - I have the ICH9R. It should be quite good as well?
On the other hand some ppl tell me that you can never get better access times with raid 0 since the controler must access more discs. But as I stated above this doesnt seem to be the case.
And if the WD Blacks in Raid0 can reach around 8ms in access time, then there is really no point in getting a VRaptor right?
TYPICALLY you will get worse access times when using RAID. This is not always the case, but it is usual.

If you can only manage 30GB of SSD I wouldn't bother, it's not enough space to be really useful. 2x30GB would be good though.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
30GB will be enough, and I can always upgrade later. But of course you are making a good point and 30GB is really "just enough" for the OS/apps.
It's hard to decide!

If you guys have any other thought then please give them to me as I want as much feed back as possible
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6141|'straya

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

30GB will be enough, and I can always upgrade later. But of course you are making a good point and 30GB is really "just enough" for the OS/apps.
It's hard to decide!

If you guys have any other thought then please give them to me as I want as much feed back as possible
30GB SSD + 300GB Velociraptor
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6407|Finland

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

30GB SSD + 300GB Velociraptor
ha for that money you could as well go for 60GB SSD
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

C'mon Panz/Max back me up on this.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6304

Finray wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

I concur.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6407|Finland

Finray wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Blind Finny`?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
It would appear so.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

Finray wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

I've had 3 1TB F1s fail on me. Sorta hard to recommend one now.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85

max wrote:

Finray wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

WD is the shit

I would get the velociraptor in your position, or save for ~6 months and get a SSD.
alexb
<3
+590|5932|Kentucky, USA

I've had no problems so far on my 320GB F1.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5976|Perth, Australia
Yeah i've had 2 1TB F1's for about a year now and had no issues whatsoever. Getting a third this week.

On topic i have no idea. Couldn't justify the cost of an SSD right now and i never really thought the performance of the VR's was worth the price increase either
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

max wrote:

Finray wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

It's hard to decide!

My F1 has been a bit tempremental since I dropped it on a hard wood floor.....
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6407|Finland

TBH I'm thinking about buying 3rd F1 1TB...
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
I dont need all the space a 1TB drive gives me, so it's I'd rather go for a VR or Black unless I'm I choose the SSD, tough decision tbh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard