blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638
Microsoft today introduced Project Natal, a method for interacting with games, controller free.The ground breaking technology was introduced by both Stephen Spielberg and gaming legend Peter Molyneux. Both believe the technology has the power to turn games into a true mass entertainment medium. Spielberg said "This is a pivotal moment that will carry with it a wave of change, the ripples of which will reach far beyond video games".

The technology behind Natal is fairly simple, a TV-mounted camera/microphone bar to sense motion, sound and movement. What's new and ground breaking is the tracking of 3D movement as well as 2D movement. The system is also able to scan users faces and sign them into Xbox live, as well as react to vocal tone and pitch, and process this data in real-time. The key to the system is accuracy and during one of the demos the presenter managed to move an avatar in a rather bizarre and un-human like fashion:

source

What do you think? Is this the future of gaming, where you dont have to rely on the joystick? How do you think this will affect the PC gaming? Do you see something like this being implemented for the PC down the line if this technology picks up? I think its a cool idea for xbox looks interesting no need for a controller at all kind of involved more people to the game... But yeah feel free to comment
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

It actually looks amazing.

If it works like it shows it does, which is highly unlikely
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6514|Polish state of EU
The video looks is shopped.
GR34
+215|6537|ALBERTA> CANADA
I call fake
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black
Wow, eyetoy.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6320

i would luv to see a video of the actual device with actual people trying to figure it out.

Would probably remind me of this:

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2009-06-01 21:21:44)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6589|Michigan, USA
You need some sort of tactile response, grasping at the air might work, but its takes you out because your just waving your hands about in the air, no feedback.  I personally prefer having the controller rumble when you get shoot, or hit a wall or something, gives you the feeling like your actually making contact.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5603|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Im_Dooomed wrote:

i would luv to see a video of the actual device with actual people trying to figure it out.

Would probably remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ
I almost died laughing @ that.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
holy

shit
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Wallpaper
+303|5986|The pool
I think I would like it for controlling movies/tv... But for gaming I would rather just sit the fuck down and play, not jump around like a jackass. I dont play games for exercise (thats what swimming is for lel)
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6611|Medford, WI

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

The video looks is shopped.
it was shown at e3 and on g4
Ioan92
+337|5715
Doing COD4 on that would be FUCKING AE!

This shit is impressive!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6624|Finland

Looks exhausting. And I'd kick my TV to shit before finishing a single round of Tekken.
I need around tree fiddy.
Ioan92
+337|5715

DonFck wrote:

Looks exhausting. And I'd kick my TV to shit before finishing a single round of Tekken.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Silly MS. Everyone knows Apple have already created the ideal controller.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

Sounds like a good concept, however, I doubt they'll be able to make it happen with either the Xbox 360 or 720.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6439|Amsterdam‫

prototype working
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
Looks shit tbh
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

meh. I like controllers. I don't like these new casual games.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

I thought MS already had controller free gaming.  It's called the RRoD.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5925|CA
Ok, seriously, this shit has gone too far.  I can't be the only gamer out there that wants only to become one with a couch in the extreme recline position and play games using only my thumbs and fingers.  All this motion sensitive gaming makes you look like an epileptic asshole.  If I want to jump around and wave my arms like a fucking monkey then I'd better be fairly loaded on hobo fuel. 

Fuck off Microsoft with your fancy Project Natal. 
Fuck off Nintendo with your motion dildo.
Fuck off Sony with your six-axis.

It's all horse shit.  If this is the future of console gaming then I'm off to fine a hobby that is a bit less gay, like sex with hairy men.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5897|CA
Once that guy did the pit stop for the racing game I thought it was a fake video.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-06-02 15:24:21)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6660

Interesting concept, but good luck getting XBOX gamers on this.  Just try playing Wii Boxing for extended periods.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6132|New Jersey

Ilocano wrote:

Interesting concept, but good luck getting XBOX gamers on this.  Just try playing Wii Boxing for extended periods.
Seriously.  I workout and I play video games.  No need to mix the two.  One of the best things about video games is the fact that they can be played in a vegetative state.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I love all the stereotypical games assigned to stereotypical characters.

By the way, games that make people make noise seem a bit counter-productive for parents to buy.

*STOMP STOMP ROOOAR*

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/090423.jpg

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-06-02 19:29:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard