Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
"Trust us a little bit"

There's an interview which is essentially Doug Lombardi pleading with us to cut them some slack. The whole thing can be summed up in this quote from it:

Doug Lombardi wrote:

Again, I would say, let us tell more of the story before people make their final judgement. And then if they say we’re f’d, then that’s fair.
The interviewer is good too, he asks direct questions like:

RPS: Do you think part of the problem might have been that the Survival Pack felt like it was finishing the first game. When there were two versus campaigns that weren’t in there, it might have felt like the Survival Pack completed the game rather than added to it.

DL: Maybe. It’s hard to say, I haven’t sat down and had a calm, reasonable dialogue with a group of people that have had [this week's] reaction yet. I’ve been busy keeping it a secret, then we just announced it a couple of days ago. I also want to get more informations, I want to hear more of what their story is and what they’re reacting to, so I can understand it better, and I’m sure Gabe feels the same way. We’ll see what is the genesis of why folks are having this reaction to it. And that [the Survival Pack] might have been part of it as well, but it’s definitely not the case that we’re closing the book on L4D and saying, “Next time you get anything it’s when the sequel comes out.”
Also lol they know exactly what we're thinking:

Doug Lombardi wrote:

I think people will get where we’re going, and hopefully don’t think that we’ve turned into some sort of opportunist cow milkers.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-06-05 16:31:42)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
People have kicked up so much fuss in opposition to this sequel... L4D was crap, L4D2 will be crap too. Gimmick games, homing in on a niche-genre -- doing it very well, I'll give it that -- but ultimately boring and repetitive. People are whining and creating a fuss as if Valve's promises to L4D(1) would have ever actually made the game fun. It's a one-trick pony, Valve knows this and they're trying to reinvent it and resell it whilst they still can.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6464|cuntshitlake

Uzique wrote:

but ultimately boring and repetitive
See you keep repeating this claim. How have I not noticed it being repetitive after hundreds of hours (393h according to xfire) ingame? Just about every single round of VS I have played has been thoroughly unique.

I see how campaign or survival get repetitive but VS has kept me very interested for a long time and I'm still not bored. I just think you should try this game again with a few mates.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Loving how there's a group of people completely loosing their heads over this. The melodramatic videos are truly inspired.

Look I'm not entirely happy with a new sequel coming out for a game that in my opinion doesn't really need it but I understand what happened. New ideas would have kept coming in the Valve meeting room and eventually Valve would have seen that - "hey, we have an entirely new game on our hands". I think once it's worked on a bit more and a few things are re-thought that L4D2 will be a fantastic game and I reckon the whiny knee-jerk reaction crowd will come around too.

Let's just look at the big picture; a decent amount of new Zombie mahem coming in November. That's still a good thing right?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436
It's amazing that the first time valve announce a sequel that won't take half a decade to make people are getting mad about it.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

I paid good money for a broken game and instead of fixing it they make another, invariably one not broken, and ask for another $100 worth of my time? Not cool.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6624|EU

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Uzique wrote:

but ultimately boring and repetitive
See you keep repeating this claim. How have I not noticed it being repetitive after hundreds of hours (393h according to xfire) ingame? Just about every single round of VS I have played has been thoroughly unique.

I see how campaign or survival get repetitive but VS has kept me very interested for a long time and I'm still not bored. I just think you should try this game again with a few mates.
I haven't even played SP campaign lol, just VS all the time.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

Ty wrote:

Loving how there's a group of people completely loosing their heads over this. The melodramatic videos are truly inspired.

Look I'm not entirely happy with a new sequel coming out for a game that in my opinion doesn't really need it but I understand what happened. New ideas would have kept coming in the Valve meeting room and eventually Valve would have seen that - "hey, we have an entirely new game on our hands". I think once it's worked on a bit more and a few things are re-thought that L4D2 will be a fantastic game and I reckon the whiny knee-jerk reaction crowd will come around too.

Let's just look at the big picture; a decent amount of new Zombie mahem coming in November. That's still a good thing right?
but thats the point. They DONT have a new game, they have new levels. If you applied this same theory of yours to TF2 I would have expected TF3 by now.

The reason people are angered is that they have blatantly been lied to by a normally trust worthy company.
Mexanick
+3|6454|Russia
They still can fix the situation:
If you have L4D in Steam
And you've bought L4D2
You're probably very pissed off because of money waste for the first one
BUT
You get 1 extra bonus super free game to your account (TF2\portal\whatever)
You're happy again.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Flecco wrote:

I paid good money for a broken game and instead of fixing it they make another, invariably one not broken, and ask for another $100 worth of my time? Not cool.
What's broken with it iyo?

All I'm seeing here is "this game sucks and will fail" from people who have seen the same limited footage I have and haven't even played it.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2009-06-06 10:41:53)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

DesertFox- wrote:

Flecco wrote:

What's broken with it iyo?

All I'm seeing here is "this game sucks and will fail" from people who have seen the same limited footage I have and haven't even played it.
Sever browser and matchmaking system don't work as well as they should for PC players.

I find it tiresome that us lot over here have to spend 15 minutes letting the game search for a browser unless we launch the game via xfire, which just isn't cricket.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
i would say it's not cricket flecs dear fellow, as cricket generally involves rather oddly dressed chaps chasing red balls. Won't do sir, won't do wot wot
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6253|England
L4D2 boycott group fuck em I say bring on the new game I can afford it no problem. What is it with gamers, they think they have the right to tell companies what to do, when to do it etc Jesus grow up tbh, just because you have bought a game doesn't make you a share holder in Valve. Valve are a commercial company they have to make money & releasing a follow up to a popular game is a sure fire way to make money especially with the console kiddies at Xmas time.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.

smuder201 wrote:

L4D2 boycott group fuck em I say bring on the new game I can afford it no problem. What is it with gamers, they think they have the right to tell companies what to do, when to do it etc Jesus grow up tbh, just because you have bought a game doesn't make you a share holder in Valve. Valve are a commercial company they have to make money & releasing a follow up to a popular game is a sure fire way to make money especially with the console kiddies at Xmas time.
I'll have the money to pay sure, but I'm not happy that a long trusted company has basically gone back on its word. Sure they are in it for the money but TF2 has made them a fair bit using a rather successful business model. I paid for the game with all the promises they made, and seeing how they've treated TF2 I believed them.

Now they pretty much shit on all of us who payed for it by saying ahahaha, no new content that we promised, we're putting it in a sequel.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6464|cuntshitlake

Flecco wrote:

smuder201 wrote:

I'll have the money to pay sure, but I'm not happy that a long trusted company has basically gone back on its word. Sure they are in it for the money but TF2 has made them a fair bit using a rather successful business model. I paid for the game with all the promises they made, and seeing how they've treated TF2 I believed them.

Now they pretty much shit on all of us who payed for it by saying ahahaha, no new content that we promised, we're putting it in a sequel.
TF2 business model is very succesful.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

here's an idea, Valve works on new shit for L4D, while valve south works on L4D2.

CoD style
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

Miggle wrote:

here's an idea, Valve works on new shit for L4D, while valve south works on L4D2.

CoD style
I get the feeling it will be going down like that for a bit.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

I get the feeling it will be going down like that for a bit.
I don't
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344
Hm, after the first excitement passed (Frying Pan is still ) I´m a bit disappointed so far.

I can understand the move towards a sequel, especially because I read somewhere they wanted the AI Director to be able to change the levels itself as to where the survivors are able to go. That wouldn´t be possible to implement into L4D.

What concerns me is the shitty parts. The Matchmakingfromhell practically made me stop playing the game. If I have to search a lobby for 20 minutes (and I´m being serious here ) to play with only one friend, let alone more, I ragequit. It´s retarded.
And I bet my ass they will take the same shitty system because of the short time until release. I hate that.

The survival pack indeed felt like it was just completing the game, but by the time they released it, I already lost my interest due to boring weapons and the matchmaking.

If they give owners of the first some sort of discount I might consider buying it, but there´s no way in hell I´ma spend 45 bucks on it (again).
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436
lol no wonder other video game devs don't want to listen to fans you give them an inch and they take a mile by mailing off "manifestos" on why they're not going to buy your video game.

Edit: EA published more unique IPs than valve last year. Think about it.

Last edited by Fat_Swinub (2009-06-07 02:25:11)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

I d/l the first l4d because it seemed like quite a waste of money for very little content. I'm not going to buy it now either. I'll see how the sequel looks but all of this "new" content should have been in a patch.

l4d seems to me, as a stand alone game something that really should have been bundled like portal, with solid games to justify the price.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.

You know what I want as far as interesting weapons goes? Ones that you have to think about before you equip, so there's some awesome combination mechanics going.

A bit like the way you configure perks/weapons in CoD... but not tied to any rank or something. So say the survivors come across a double-barreled high-bore hunting shotgun. Frequent reloads would make it bad for continuous waves of the horde but by giving it enough stopping power to level a hall of enemies in one shot/take down chargers in 3 or 4 at close range or tanks in 6 or 7 at close range it would be tempting to pick up.

Make the group really think about what they pick up during the level, rather than having 2 auto shotties + 2 assault rifles. That sort of thing. As it is the weapons are too bland and don't require that much thought in their application.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344
What is an IP?
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6149|San Antonio, Texas

Sisco10 wrote:

What is an IP?
Intellectual Property.

I think Interplay owns MDK, so they're going to come back to the gaming industry by taking advantage of their IP, which is MDK 3.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard