Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

No Louis?

OH NO!
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6405

Cheez wrote:

No Louis?

OH NO!
It's ok they replaced him with Bubba from Forest Gump.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s … p?t=885164

From a a pre-L4D-release Gamespy interview:

GameSpy: Here we go up a lift, let me jump on your head. What's Valve's strategy with supporting Left 4 Dead?

Gabe Newell: I see you've played Counter-Strike. What we're trying to do right now is go from thinking of games as things you put in a box, and instead thinking of them as ongoing services that you provide. For example, with Team Fortress 2, we've been releasing this series of videos, and giving you backgrounds to give you a better sense of those characters. We'll be doing the same with Left 4 Dead, where we'll release new maps, movies about the characters, and tell you about the events that led to the infected walking around.

GameSpy: You said that the game is split into four campaigns. Are you planning for future downloadable campaigns?

Gabe Newell: Very much so. We're right in this transition. In the pre-Internet world you can only think of what you were offering customers as a box. You put everything into it, and thought of it as a one-time release. Now, customers want an ongoing entertainment service. So with Team Fortress 2, our product that's furthest along in terms of doing that, we found that the best way to get new customers was to get excited existing customers.

And the best way to do that was to release new maps, new weapons, add achievements. They're really interested in the characters and the story behind them. Every four to six weeks we've released movies about the characters. We just released a movie about the sandwich, which actually people have really enjoyed. We still need to release these boxes, these point releases, but as we continue to release new campaigns, new characters, new weapons, and tell stories about these characters, that's the best way to grow the community.
So.

We're left asking..

What happened?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

time will tell.  however, as it is right now, there is lots of outcry and i'm sure valve will make good on this.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

Because nobody will let Valve do what they want, ever

Last edited by Mutantbear (2009-06-02 12:18:47)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead

Mutantbear wrote:

Because nobody will Valve do what they want, ever
wait, what?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Peter wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Because nobody will Valve do what they want, ever
wait, what?
suck at english more

oh:

3:12 PM - Karhu [MB]: add a let for me
3:12 PM - Karhu [MB]: kthx

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-06-02 12:13:14)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Nobody will let Valve do what they want? What does that mean? Valve can, and have, done whatever they wanted in the past.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Nobody will let Valve do what they want? What does that mean? Valve can, and have, done whatever they wanted in the past.
EA and MS are involved in L4D. Both receive profits from sales of L4D/L4D2 on the xbox.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Valve have always done what they wanted. Sometimes this resulted in an outcry of sorts, the Jarate addition and the L4D character redesign comes to mind. However there are always the faithful who trust in Valve to do something good.

I say we don't know enough about this to jump to any conclusions. What we can jump to is the fact that the stuff that Yoda just pointed out wasn't entirely true but hey, plans change.

To be honest announcing this thing as a sequel is a poor idea because it raises the conotatons that L4D will become obsolete. People understandably believe that this is a bullshit move since the game will have only been out a year when this "sequel" is released. The fact that the games are compatable together only raises the question of "why the Hell is this being marketed as a complete seqel?"

It doesn't really make sense. L4D was designed to have new content added seamlessly, if Valve South were unhappy with L4D in it's completed form they could have changed it. They could even add all this southern stuff to it too if they wanted, we wouldn't even mind paying for this much DLC but marketing it as a full game means that it will take the focus off making content and changes to L4D, (the matchmaking system for starters needs a major overhaul,) and means that people get pissed off that this game they bought now has a shelf life of one year. Sequels take thunder from an existing title, although some earlier titles last, (BF1942 is still played for example,) they certainly aren't uneffected.

I don't have faith that Valve fully know what they're doing with this but I do hope they do.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Zukabazuka
+23|6655
They started on L4D2 almost right after L4D was released, so they never gave it a chance. Then saying It changes the game to much.

Then what about those TF2 updates? I'm quite sure they changed a lot interms of gameplay. So they say they will still support L4D but then we can probably expect that no new SI and survivor will come to L4D, but just maps and maybe weapons.

So yeah entire steam community is in shitstorm because Valve broke the deal with us because they promised that they would update it like TF2.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'll take a step away from what everyone else in the topic is saying and say that I'm actually looking forward to this. The original was fantastic, and I'm interested to see what they do with this next one.
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6595

DesertFox- wrote:

I'll take a step away from what everyone else in the topic is saying and say that I'm actually looking forward to this. The original was fantastic, and I'm interested to see what they do with this next one.
have to agree with you.
I think also, as long as they aren't looking for the full $50 on PC or the $60 for console it is fair, if they do what COH did with their games, their second and third installments were stand alone games and went for $30 each for PC. They made new shit, why not pay em for it if it is worth it?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

have to agree with you.
I think also, as long as they aren't looking for the full $50 on PC or the $60 for console it is fair, if they do what COH did with their games, their second and third installments were stand alone games and went for $30 each for PC. They made new shit, why not pay em for it if it is worth it?
they are. its listed on the official xbox site as $60.

as to why not pay them? they made new maps and that appears to be all, with source games ANYONE can make maps, often better quality maps too.

Last edited by Vilham (2009-06-02 16:02:19)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516
https://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9897/13678124.png
-_-
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Hey I just want to attack a sacred piece of Zombie lore - the Chainsaw. Now chainsaws are a staple of the Zombie genre but they're not all that useful are they? I mean it's a saw, all you can do short of using it to bludgeon people/zombies to death is to saw one zombie at a time which takes time and leaves you open to attack. When compared to, say, and axe which can at least wound multiple enemies with one swing a chainsaw doesn't really hold it's own. The main appeal of the chainsaw is that "You wouldn't want to run at somoene weilding one" but zombies are mindless, they're going to run at you anyway.

The was completely off topic. For something more on topic how come a frying pan or an aluminium bat kills a zombie in one hit when the butt of a rifle or shotgun doesn't? Can you say needless add-on?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Ur doin it rong Ty. Saw horizontally. Swing fast. Ensure the chain is one of those ones with the little bladed bits on it.

Also: Frying pan is epic. Reminds me of Bad Fur Day's zombie bits.

Last of all, I'd really be looking forward to this. I'd think it was epic in all ways.... Except I've already bought the original game and I'm not that enthusiastic about paying for a map pack/minor addition.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6593|EU

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I'm sure i'm not the only one here who bought L4D at full price only because we 'knew' we'd be getting loads of content later on to make it worth the price. Instead we wait 6 months with a horribly broken matchmaking system, then get survival mode and thats it. Then we learn that the first game is being abandoned and being replaced with a game that Valve mockingly says is much bigger and will have everything ready on release.

NooBesT wrote:

/me will wait for 75% off or some shit, not going to pay full price for a game I already own.

Ty wrote:

To be honest announcing this thing as a sequel is a poor idea because it raises the conotatons that L4D will become obsolete. People understandably believe that this is a bullshit move since the game will have only been out a year when this "sequel" is released. The fact that the games are compatable together only raises the question of "why the Hell is this being marketed as a complete seqel?"
nothing more to add...

Last edited by legionair (2009-06-02 23:43:09)

Zefar
+116|6619|Sweden
For me I'm gonna be neutral a bit. Seeing all the things they added and that the game will actually be bigger than L4D was in the start. I might buy it depending on how much content they have added to it.

Also they have yet to cancel the support for L4D yet officially. So it can still get new maps.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

Valve hurt my feelings
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Before its time? Valve explains Left 4 Dead sequel

There's chet trying to explain why. I found this part the most interesting:

So the team brought their concepts and ideas to create a sequel to Gabe Newell, and even he was skeptical about the idea. According to Faliszek, he expressed his doubts, and claimed this move was against the character of the company. "To Gabe's credit, and he's a great guy to work for, he said if this is what you want to do, if this is what you're excited about, go do it."
Flecco
iPod is broken.

He was eager to address the anger. "Team Fortress gets to do these nice little discrete units of content, they get to do a map, there's an internal consistency and an internal world that happens." He described the content updates as "clean little things." Bite-sized updates that add to the game, and over time change things. It's not nearly that easy with Left 4 Dead, where one change affects nearly everything else.
BULL. SHIT.

Everything in TF2 has to be balanced next to everything else. I can't see how its harder with a co-op vs. AI oriented game than it is with a full blown multiplayer game which any minor tweaks to balance are bitched about constantly.

Fuck you Faliszek you lazy bastard. Fuck this crazy consumerist society which is going to cause me to buy this game. Lastly fuck Valve for making a sequel which I will thoroughly enjoy, but hate them for every second.

Edit: And fuck autocorrect.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-06-05 14:49:28)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
I think that the problem is that Valve are currently failing to showcase all the improvements L4D2 will have over the first one. One article I read said that not only will the campaigns be more, but also much longer, and I have only seen that said once. Also Valve have only shown off a small fraction of the new things being added, such as the new zombies of which only the charger was introduced.

Also the game's biggest improvements are going to be more technical ones, such as the improved gibs and director, these are things that will have a large positive impact on the game yet you really can't show off very well in a video. They are also mentioning much more story in L4D2, which is really impossible to show off in the 3 minute videos they have displayed so far.

All in all, I'm hopeful for the game, as it is going to bring numerous improvements that could not have been easily patched into the first game.

However I will say this, the real reason they are making a sequel and not just releasing more content for the first is most likely because L4D sold very well on the EcksBaaawwwcks, and Microsoft are so incredibly Nazi about allowing the amount of new, free content to be added, and Valve didn't want to face the wrath of all the EcksBaaawwwcks fanboys moaning about a lack of content, when it's more MS's fault than Valve's.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

That stuff about the xbox is most likely true, Docta. I guess this is their way of trying to circumvent the problems they've had updating TF2 on the 360.

Nice theory.

Fuck you guys start using individual avatars again. This John Favre hokey player crap is getting annoying.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-06-05 13:45:29)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

I still remember these promises...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard