BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|5992|Dallas
http://www.breakingviews.com/2009/05/21 … ak-up.aspx

The site won't let me copy and paste, but basically, its saying that California should break up into 4 different states. They would be:

**The San Diego area

**The Los Angeles area

**San Francisco/ Sacramento /Santa Cruz / Silicon Valley area

**The Northern & Central Valley area (Napa, Santa Rosa, ect.)

I seriously doubt that this would ever happen, but the state is such a mess right now, it just might have to come down to this. Do you think this would work? Is this another stupid idea, or could it economically save CA?
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5571|The Wild West
I think splitting up texas into seperate states makes more sense (just like they agreed to when texas first entered the union)
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85
Why would splitting up any state help?
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5571|The Wild West
northern california is kinda gay
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6713
they should split cali up into 2 states... one governed by liberal minded people and the other by conservative minded people...I'm betting that the conservative state would be a lot nicer place to live... unless you think the world owes you something...
Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Decentralizing authority is generally a good thing.  The smaller a governmental unit is, the better individuals are represented by government.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6655|BC, Canada
yeah more states! fuck just make some provinces dammit.... 14 sounds good, then join Canada! no, wait don't join us, just give us some tropical spots so I can work on my tan...
BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|5992|Dallas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Thats the thing lol. I don't think it would help personally. This is probably just another nut idea . Each state would get a share of the huge amount of debt, and would probably be a pain in the butt. But which would be better: the whole state economy collapsing (theoretically), or 4 states going their own way and only 2 or 1 collapsing?
Turquoise
O Canada

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Thats the thing lol. I don't think it would help personally. This is probably just another nut idea . Each state would get a share of the huge amount of debt, and would probably be a pain in the butt. But which would be better: the whole state economy collapsing (theoretically), or 4 states going their own way and only 2 or 1 collapsing?
The latter is better.  Besides, it's not hard to see that certain parts of the state are more affluent than others.  There's a lot of dead weight fiscally in Southern California and inland California.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6180|Ireland
But then Mexifornia wouldn't get to select the president every 4 years with its 149,012,401 electorial votes.
Turquoise
O Canada

Lotta_Drool wrote:

But then Mexifornia wouldn't get to select the president every 4 years with its 149,012,401 electorial votes.
The Electoral College is full of shit, but that's another discussion.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Decentralizing authority is generally a good thing.  The smaller a governmental unit is, the better individuals are represented by government.
Federalism, yadda yadda yadda. How would making more states help? You think representation is the problem?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I assume you're talking about illegals? And if so... ummm do they really get to vote, cause thats fucked up. And if you're not, then your just talking shit tbh.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

How about we just redraw the whole damn country so every race group, religious group, and political group can stick to their own state but still be a part of the whole country.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6180|Ireland

DrunkFace wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I assume you're talking about illegals? And if so... ummm do they really get to vote, cause thats fucked up. And if you're not, then your just talking shit tbh.
Are you drunk?  If not you should get drunk so you have an excuse.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6180|Ireland

Macbeth wrote:

How about we just redraw the whole damn country so every race group, religious group, and political group can stick to their own state but still be a part of the whole country.
The Irish get Idaho, the Mexicans got California, and Irish/Mexicans get Nevada.
Turquoise
O Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Federalism, yadda yadda yadda. How would making more states help? You think representation is the problem?
Yep.  I think the larger a state is, the harder it is for the average person to be heard.
BVC
+325|6692
Have states been chopped up before?

eg. Virgina, Dakota, Carolina...or have they always taken their present administrative form?
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5607|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Pubic wrote:

eg. Virgina, Dakota, Carolina...or have they always taken their present administrative form?
Virginia/West Virginia: West Virginia split off in 1863 to join the Union
Dakotas: Dakota Territory split in 2 when made states
Carolinas: I think they have always been that way, someone else know???
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5571|The Wild West
ask the indians
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA
Democrats would be against it because Northern Most and Southern Most parts of California generally lean Republican.

So instead of ALL electoral votes going to Democrats 100% it'll be 50 or 75% it now.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

**The San Diego area

**The Los Angeles area

**San Francisco/ Sacramento /Santa Cruz / Silicon Valley area

**The Northern & Central Valley area (Napa, Santa Rosa, ect.)
Wait a second...if they did break up the state what would they name each part? 

I don't think the San Diego Area would be called South South California...
Turquoise
O Canada

nickb64 wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Virginia/West Virginia: West Virginia split off in 1863 to join the Union
Dakotas: Dakota Territory split in 2 when made states
Carolinas: I think they have always been that way, someone else know???
The Carolinas began as the Province of Carolina (a British proprietary colony).  They separated before the Revolutionary War.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5571|The Wild West
san diego would be the swine flu quarantine zone
NantanCochise
+55|5975|Portugal/United States

Man With No Name wrote:

ask the indians
Me no know no state boundries!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard