CameronPoe
+2,925|6552
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8047134.stm

Despite the very proper and agreeable sentiments of what the Pope is calling for here I find it to be a little off for religious figures to be making political statements. Should religious figures not just stick to spirituality and morality and leave politics out? What say you?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6629|Finland

Politics and religion should not mix, IMHO. If a religious figure is to make political statements, they should be made from their own perspective outside their religious posts and not from the perspective of which ever religion they represent.

An example of recent domestic events, an orthodox priest by the name of father Mitro is running for the European Parliament. He has become quite the public figure as he holds E.g. motivational speeches for companies etc. (for a shitload of money, I might add), wears a designer priests cloak and drives around in his Alfa Romeo. Anyway, once he made the announcement to run for the European Parliament as an independent on the list of the Social Democratic Party, the Orthodox ministry told him to lose the robe and be under his real name, I.e. Mitro Repo. He did.
I need around tree fiddy.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6539|Texas - Bigger than France
Well no.

And why we are on the topic, we should criticize all religion related politics.  Like calling a jihad.
rdx-fx
+955|6588
Religious leaders have always been involved in politics.  Especially the Catholic church.

From imams calling for "death to the western infidels", to Moses leading his people around the desert, to Egyptian pharohs being a 'living god'(religious leader)/head-of-state, to the old Church of England ... religion and politics have been together for a while now.

Not usually for the better either.

Seems to be when you get religious & political mixed together, they tend to tie together at the lowest common root of 'lead the herd in a certain direction'
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Yeah, the Pope has always been much more of a political figure than a religious one, it was pretty much created for that purpose by the Romans too, a good way of continuing the Empire until people like Henry VIII ruined it for them somewhat.

It's just that these days it's not really the case in terms of the Pope holding any real power, but that doesn't change the fact that the Pope is more of a Political figure than a Religious one
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6763|UK
I would hope politics and morality have a lot in common. However yes, he shouldn't be making political statements that have little to do with his religion.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6637|Your moms bedroom
everyone is entitled to their opinion, if celebrity's can spout their opinions, why cant the pope (Who in my very humble opinion is exactly that)
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6617|Auteuil, Laval
The Pope is to watch about not losing more power than already.  As stated by Mek, being the pope is a power position and it will continue to interfere because that position radius of influence is there more or less.  But by todays "standard" living it should not make those political comments / statements.

I believe that the Pope makes those statements for individuals to listen rather than to political powers.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
Religious figures and politics used to be like this *makes the associated hand gesture representing that sentiment*
Now our forms of government are far less entwined with religion, but the Church still needs something to do. They're pretty much responsible for the whole "a true Christian must be pro-life" agenda and such, but we don't really need them to serve that semi-political purpose anymore. We need to figures of the Church to become nearly powerless figureheads like the Queen of England.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

CameronPoe wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8047134.stm

Despite the very proper and agreeable sentiments of what the Pope is calling for here I find it to be a little off for religious figures to be making political statements. Should religious figures not just stick to spirituality and morality and leave politics out? What say you?
No. If he wants to make political statements, he should be a politician not a Pope.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
I think politics and religion should be kept fairly far apart.

Politics should focus on preserving human rights while finding the most efficient way to do things (i.e. most benefit to society).
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6739|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
bit of creative spinn by the BBC? 
he said he understood frustrations that their "legitimate aspirations" for a Palestinian state were unfulfilled.
it's hardly the Pope calling for a Palestinian state. Not the first time the BBC has put words into the Popes mouth..
NantanCochise
+55|5976|Portugal/United States
I personally dont think that a religious figure should be making any political statements no matter how agreeable they may seem. Never-the-less, and considering that we are talking about the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, it sure isnt going to stop any time soon. The fact is that the Pope and his church are extremely political. This is very evident in Italy where many laws (even though there is supposed to be a separtation of church and state) are very much influenced by the Catholic church. Many controversies in Italian law imposed by the church dictate store operating hours, church coverage on national tv, divorce law, and many others. There is a constant battle there between church and state. One significant loss by the church in recent times was to remove crosses from hospital rooms. The same is now in debate over class rooms and school halls.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

No, because he's a stupid fuck and seems to manage to offend someone no matter what audience he's talking to.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690
Fuck that Nazi bastard.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6642
no, he is a religous figure but if u look throughout the history a lot of religious figures have been making political statements... so meh its not like he cares wut any one of us on bf2s think...
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6575|Columbus, OH
Hell NO. He banned electrical, musical instruments in the Catholic Church. What do you think he will do if he had any political leverage.
Lai
+186|6148

CameronPoe wrote:

I find it to be a little off for religious figures
He is the pontifex maximus, a title originally reserved for the Emperor of (Christian) Rome. Do not mistake the pope for a religious figure, he is
a political leader pur sang.

DonFck wrote:

An example of recent domestic events, an orthodox priest by the name of father Mitro is running for the European Parliament.
That's different in any case. Orthodox Christianity is much more secular in one way (and a lot less in another). "Priest", at least in Greece, is just more of a job.
benefit
+21|5713
what about the countries where the religious clerics are the government or make the decisions?
politics and religion are not always easy to separate.......
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
Politics is inseparable from religion. When a belief system essentially dictates your perspective on life, it is impossible to remove it from your idea of social implementation.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Politics is inseparable from religion. When a belief system essentially dictates your perspective on life, it is impossible to remove it from your idea of social implementation.
True, but there's a difference between letting religion guide your stances on politcal issues and using religion to promote your stances.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

This pope has had a real problem when it comes to public relations. The pope before him though was great. Everyone even atheist had a great amount of respect for him.

On topic, yes he should. But he should at least try to keep them positive.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

True, but there's a difference between letting religion guide your stances on politcal issues and using religion to promote your stances.
The Pope is religion for Catholics. It's his duty to define right and wrong, to shepherd his herd.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6552

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I thought the modern enlightened world had moved beyond that. I guess the Vatican doesn't really fit that bill though granted. If a majority of a nation want to be ruled theocratically then having a religion-based state is their prerogative but we live in pluralist representative democracies. I guess I fell into the trap of regarding the Vatican as a 'western institution' which of course couldn't be further from the truth.

In western civilisation the norm is to rule secularly and pluralistically and that religion is on your own time.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-05-13 15:31:03)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The Pope is religion for Catholics. It's his duty to define right and wrong, to shepherd his herd.
Oh, I'm not disputing his role, but I'm suggesting that religion can define your stances in a personal sense without having a clergyman declare his own stances.

The Catholic Church is a rather outdated institution, considering all the changes that society has endured since its inception.  The Pope served more of a purpose when the average person was grossly uneducated and illiterate.  Granted, that description still applies to the average person in some Catholic countries, so I guess that explains his influence in those areas.

I'm just surprised that any educated person would put much stock in the declarations of a figurehead.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard