Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
What unlocks do you guys always or never use?

Some of them seem incredibly useful to me, others useless. Stuff like the blutsauger seems infinitely more useful than its stock counterpart, but what about unlocks like the axtinguisher? The range is so minimal that I don't see why it is advantageous to burn them and then pull this sucker out, rather than just continue to burn them at point blank. Is it really much more effective?

/inb4 patronizing uzique
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6511|Adelaide, South Australia

I pretty much shuffle everything around, except the Blutsauger, Ubersaw, Axetingusiher and KGB.

The Axetinguisher is more useful on things like Heavy/Medic teams, because it damages faster than just the Flamethrower can. The only problem is getting the drop on them to get close enough.

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2009-04-12 21:29:54)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6227|Texas
Flare Gun is useful
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

Yellowman03 wrote:

Flare Gun is useful
Kurse
The Black Wizards
+16|6725|California
I always use the blutsauger, ubersaw and KGB.  Occasionally I'll take the kritzkrieg or sandman, but I almost if never use any of the other unlocks.

Never found the flare gun more effective than the shotgun, but that might also just be how I play pyro.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

jsnipy wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Flare Gun is useful
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5957|London, England

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

Flare Gun is useful
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas
Always: Axtinguisher, KGB, Ubersaw, Blutsauger

Sometimes: Flare gun, sandvich (rarely), Sandman, Natascha, Kritz

Never: Bonk, Backburner, Force A Nature
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Am I the only one who uses everything evenly except the two medic unlocks that are about 900000 times better than the stock ones?

I don't have the ubersaw yet but since I got the Blutsauger haven't used the syringe gun.

Other than that yeah, everything evenly depending on the map and situation.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6549|Brisbane, Aus

I haven't used much of the stock equipment since getting unlocks, excluding medic gun and most of the scout gear (I just can't use the FaN, I need the extra rounds&damage).
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6398|NSW, Australia

Scout: always use FaN+sandman, havent gotten drink yet but prob wont use

Medic: Blutsauger+uber saw always, kritz when im defending

pyro: i stick to stock

heavy: mostly Sasha but Natascha when the mood strikes me, KGB always, sandwhich never
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Sif Raven the drink is epic.

You use it to run behind engies repairing their sentry. If you do it right you can get the sentry to tk the engy so your demomen/sollys can take it out.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6262
Medic: Always: Blut and Ubersaw. There's no reason not to use them. Kritz and Ubercharge are both used about equally. Kritz on defense, Arena, and 5 point maps, and Ubercharge on offense, and any symmetrical map where the other team has put up Sentry guns.

Pyro: Backburner never gets used. Ever. Flare Gun gets used sometimes. Axtinguisher is a near permanent unlock too. A quick puff of flames, airblast to keep them in place, and whack of the Axtinguisher instantly kills 8/9 classes, so it's well worth keeping it. Far better than just continuing to flame them, because the airblast disrupts their aim. Against unsuspecting Heavy's its also far more powerful than the flamethrower. It can also take out buffed Heavys quickly enough.

Heavy: Never use Natascha. Sometimes use Sandvich, but a ShotgunHeavy is far more dangerous than people realise. Never use KGB. The slower swing speed hurts the Heavy far more than the Ubersaw does for Medic, and the reward is too small. Fists > KGB as far as i'm concerned. Plus the KGB looks ridiculous and has no awesome kill taunt. If for some weird reason the other team has a lot of Scouts then i'll use Nat, and if i'm in Arena then it's Sandvich all the way.

Scout: Stock weapons all around, unless i'm on an A/D map in which case i'll equip the Sandman.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-04-13 08:21:28)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6394|dm_maidenhead
Always: Blut and Ubersaw. Absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be used

Nearly Always: Flaregun. Fits my playing style for pyro perfectly. I'll change to shotgun if I decide to play pyro properly and actually use the flamethrower

Evenly: Kritzkrieg: situation depending. FaN: Normally map depending. Very useful on large open maps like Badwater and Gravel Pit

Rarely: Sandvich: on the rare occasion I play heavy in arena with no medic. Bonk!: If I am on a team with good communication and can organise an instant-uber (What Bonk! is with communication). Natascha: if there are lots of scouts. Axtinguisher: the fireaxe suits me more. How else are you supposed to take out pyros without a flamethrower?

Never: Sandman: blegh. Backburner: why would I not want airblast? KGB: Too slow and 5 seconds of crits is hardly worth it. And no kill taunt D:
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427
Medic: Blutsauger, ubersaw
Pyro: Nothing
Heavy: KGB
Scout: FaN, Sandman but haven't played since it got changed.

Everything else I don't bother using at all. Only the FaN and scattergun I actually switch around occasionally.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
Medic: Blutsauger and Ubersaw always, KritzKrieg when I'm feelin' it

Pyro: Axetinguisher I always use, other two not so much. The BackBurner is utter shit, and the flaregun is not even half as useful as the shotgun.

Heavy: Always the Sandvich and I'll switch out the others when I feel like it.

Scout: FaN most of the time, Sandman when I wanna troll people and BONK! when I need to run past Scent-Trees.

Sniper: I use all the equipment pretty much evenly.

Spy: Never the Abmo and always the Cloak and Dagger.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2009-09-13 13:48:02)

dill13
+67|6186

Flare gun usally only in small games or in arena same with sandvich. kritz on defense or arena. hardly use the sandman or fan anymore cause the fan doesnt push ubers back and the sandman takes away my double jump. I hardly ever use melee as heavy so it doesnt matter to me which one I have equipped. Why would anyone ever use the stock medic syringe gun or bonesaw. Bonk has its places but I usally like the pistol for taking out unguarded sentries or running away enemies. Natasha when theirs alot of scouts and or another heavy with sasha. The backburner I cant stand giving up the most powerful uber deterrent. I almost always use the axtingisher because its the only time an axe would be useful why not just keep burning if you have the regular one.
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

I really like the huntsman
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State
Medic: Ubersaw and Blutsauger are keepers, Kritz depends on situation...

Pyro: Axtinguisher, flare gun are keepers. The compression blast is just too useful to give up.

Heavy. KGB is the keeper. Natascha is if there are 6 scouts and no heavies.

Scout. All are situational... Scattergun is better for Scout duels, pistol is good for low-HP classes down, Sandman is too unreliable

Sniper: 3 loadouts, Camper (Rifle and Razorback), Assault (huntsman and SMG), and fun (Huntsman and Jarate)

Spah: I switch between the watches (all 3), but the Ambassador is just to weak and unreliable to be of and use. (neck shots fail!)
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5990

fermatx wrote:

Pyro: Axtinguisher, flare gun are keepers. The compression blast is just too useful to give up.

Scout. All are situational... Scattergun is better for Scout duels, pistol is good for low-HP classes down, Sandman is too unreliable

Sniper: 3 loadouts, Camper (Rifle and Razorback), Assault (huntsman and SMG), and fun (Huntsman and Jarate)

Spah: I switch between the watches (all 3), but the Ambassador is just to weak and unreliable to be of and use. (neck shots fail!)
Actually, the first Ambassador shot is pinpoint accurate (so it is almost a guaranteed headshot if you can aim), however each shot after that becomes less and less accurate and CANNOT be headshot. I find it very good for killing snipers with Razorback, Engineers etc. because it kills those targets with 1 headshot and 1 body shot
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6262
Since this thread is here I may as well update it to reflect unlocks changing.

New Sandvich: I think I'll actually keep it. Full health from 1 NOMNOMNOM session is very good, and being able to heal the Medic/yourself/random teammate instantly with the right click is also great. I may miss the shotgun but the new Sandvich is powerful!

New Sandman: I use it about half and half now. I'll often start rounds having it equiped, and if I find i'm dying too much and not getting many stuns, i'll switch back.

New Blutsauger/Syringe Gun: Haven't really had a change to test them both yet because the internet's been down again. However the Syringe Gun's new healing abilities make it so it almost nullifies afterburn just by having it equiped. I'm not sure which to use. The Blut for controlled health regen (usually when attacked), or SG for passive health regen. The Blut will still be a life saver when i'm ambushed, so I think i'll keep it.

Sniper: I'll admit it, I usually use the Huntsman. Why? Because I find it more fun than standing away from the front lines picking people off. Do I wish it had a far smaller hitbox so it was more about aiming and less about firing an arrow in the general direction of enemies to get headshots? Yes. But it's current cheapness doesn't make it less fun to use I find. If i'm in the mood for real sniping i'll obviously use the rifle. I also always have Jarate equiped. I rarely play Sniper anyway.

Spy: If i'm pissing about on a KOTH map i'll use a revolver+dead ringer combo just because its fun and easy to stay alive. If i'm trying to play properly i'll use Invis Watch. I never use the ambassador.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-09-18 08:24:00)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6148|Vancouver | Canada
Always: Blut, Ubersaw, Axetinguisher, KGB....that's about it I think.

Never: Force of Nature, Bonk, Sandman, Huntsman, Razorback (obviously), Backburner, Dead Ringer, Ambassador...

..and I love it when people use the "I don't like hanging back as a Sniper so I use this bow that puts a huge 'I suck shit' sign above my head", like the Sniper Rifle has RPG qualities and can only kill people who are further away.

L2CQBSnipe.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

Nordemus wrote:

fermatx wrote:

Actually, the first Ambassador shot is pinpoint accurate (so it is almost a guaranteed headshot if you can aim), however each shot after that becomes less and less accurate and CANNOT be headshot. I find it very good for killing snipers with Razorback, Engineers etc. because it kills those targets with 1 headshot and 1 body shot
Yes... But if your the sneaky backstab type spy it isn't as good at panic shooting.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard