blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6636
The young woman had been attacked in full view of a New York City subway clerk, then dragged down the steps onto a deserted platform where she was raped and raped again, the assailant not stopping even when a subway train pulled into the station.

Now, after nearly four years of constant nightmares, bouts of depression and anxiety, the woman has been told by a judge that two transit workers who saw her being attacked had no obligation to do anything to help her other than to signal their superiors that police were needed at the station.

In response, the woman, who asks to be identified only by her first name, Maria, is going public with her story in the hope that something will be done to save other women from enduring a similar nightmare.

“Hearing the decision about the case — it broke my heart. It really broke my heart,” the 26-year-old told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Wednesday in an exclusive broadcast interview in New York. “I was really hoping that changes would be made, that other women taking the subway out there could feel safe and secure. The subway is raising their fares and spending even less money on security.”

The former graduate student said she didn’t expect the ticket clerk to leave the safety of his booth or the conductor of the train that stopped at — and left — the station during her attack to jump off his train to aid her.

“He could have just gotten over the intercom and said, ‘Hey! Stop what you’re doing! I’ve called the cops!’ Anything like that would have helped,” she said. “He didn’t have to get out of the booth. I don’t expect him to be a police officer. But he could have definitely said something over the intercom, or perhaps having a quicker system of notifying the police would have been effective, too.”

The train pulled into her station, but, she said, “When I attempted to get off the train, this person touched my feet again, and when I turned back to yell at him, I ended up missing my stop. Then I was alone in the subway car. I was terrified. I couldn’t wait to get off the train at the next station, and just run away from him.”

Maria got off at the next station — 21st Street in Long Island City in Queens. She sprinted for the staircase that led from the platform to the upper level. As she reached the top of the stairs, she saw a clerk in the attendant’s booth. At the same time, her attacker caught her, wrapped her in a bear hug, and started to carry her bodily back to the deserted platform.

She told the judge in the civil suit she filed against the Metropolitan Transit Authority that she and the clerk looked at each other for a full five seconds.“I actually was thinking, ‘Oh, thank god, I’m saved. Someone’s here that can help me. This is going to be done in no time and I’m finally safe,’ ” she told Vieira.

The clerk pushed a button that notifies central command that a police officer is needed. Maria said he could have gotten on the intercom and scared the attacker off. But he did nothing else as she was carried to the bottom of the stairs screaming and crying.“After he pulled me down the stairs, he proceeded to rape me at the bottom of the stairwell,” Maria said. “I was screaming and crying and begging him to stop. He said, ‘If you continue screaming, I’m going to have to do something.’ I couldn’t stop crying, so then he took me by the scruff of my neck and my jacket and put me over the tracks, like a 45-degree angle, and said, ‘Don’t scream again or I’m going to let go.’ ”

During the attack, another train pulled in and departed. She caught the eye of the train’s conductor. He, too, notified the command center that police were needed. But he didn’t stop the train or do anything else to stop the rape.At the civil trial, the judge who ruled for the MTA concluded that the clerk and conductor “had taken prompt and decisive action” in calling for help and had complied with work rules.

The MTA issued a statement that said, “It is important to note that while NYC Transit workers are trained to the highest degree of professionalism in their assigned jobs, they are not and should not be expected to perform in the capacity of law enforcement officers.”I was never expecting them to be police officers,” she told Vieira. “They could have stayed in their booth and gone over on the loudspeaker and said something. In terms of it being prompt, by the time the cops had actually got there, 10 minutes later, I had been assaulted twice.”

read the res]source
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6752

i hope those guys or someone in their family gets raped one day and nobody helps them.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6754|d
that's fuked, you would hope people walking by would do something.

Last edited by liquidat0r (2009-04-09 15:19:04)

Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6568|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Fucking coward those guys are....
Amdi Peter
peut-être
+111|5538|paris
Like Godfather wrote in the thread, "Dude mugged on bus in paris",

GodFather wrote:

protip: If your getting mugged and your outnumbered, dont yell, "HELP!!!"   instead, yell, "FIRE!!!!!!" you need people to come andnobody wants to run into a situation they have nothing to do with, maybe the guy has a gun, they dont know... But everyone wants to see a good fire...
People now are days are cowards. Yelling help or rape wont help, because people are scared to help and the aftermatch (police, court, etc.).
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6568|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Amdi Peter wrote:

Like Godfather wrote in the thread, "Dude mugged on bus in paris",

GodFather wrote:

protip: If your getting mugged and your outnumbered, dont yell, "HELP!!!"   instead, yell, "FIRE!!!!!!" you need people to come andnobody wants to run into a situation they have nothing to do with, maybe the guy has a gun, they dont know... But everyone wants to see a good fire...
People now are days are cowards. Yelling help or rape wont help, because people are scared to help and the aftermatch (police, court, etc.).
Meh, that shit is brillant...screaming Fire instead of Help have chances of actually working...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6697|67.222.138.85
But the rapist might have had a knife!
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6834|Reykjavík, Iceland.
We all act really tough here on the internet, but what you would do in a real situation doesn't come clear until it actually happens.

I like to think that I would try to help, since it was just one rapist.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5692|College Park, MD

Sydney wrote:

We all act really tough here on the internet, but what you would do in a real situation doesn't come clear until it actually happens.
Yeah but based on past experiences with conflicts and shit you might be able to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what you'd do.

I would have come to her aid if I was there.

As a side note, good to see NYC's gun ban is keeping crime down.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6834|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Yeah but based on past experiences with conflicts and shit you might be able to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what you'd do.

Indeed, if the attacker had a gun, this might have been a rape double homicide if the clerk tried to help her.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6750|San Antonio, Texas

Sydney wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Indeed, if the attacker had a gun, this might have been a rape double homicide if the clerk tried to help her.
Or on the flip side, a dead rapist and a woman not raped.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Or on the flip side, a dead rapist and a woman not raped.
Or on the flip side, nobody dead and nobody raped because the guy wouldn't have raped her if he thought he'd get killed.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone

usmarine wrote:

i hope those guys or someone in their family gets raped one day and nobody helps them.
i agree with mandarin
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5689
Yeah I read about this in the paper last week. Pretty messed up.

I don't know how you could watch someone be raped and do nothing.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6672|Disaster Free Zone
If I were there, I'd go help by punching the dick in the face.... then get landed with an assault charge and go to jail for 10-15 years... GJ America.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6752

DrunkFace wrote:

GJ America.
is that needed?  i mean really.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6697|67.222.138.85
rape - only in America
The#1Spot
+105|6530|byah
Here is the question. What was she wearing on that day on the subway station? Yes it does matter. The good Samaritan could have been setup to be sued and the last thing you would want is a disease from the attacker. Women should know better than to go alone in the night.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

The#1Spot wrote:

Here is the question. What was she wearing on that day on the subway station? Yes it does matter. The good Samaritan could have been setup to be sued and the last thing you would want is a disease from the attacker. Women should know better than to go alone in the night.
are you fucking serious
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

The#1Spot wrote:

lol no seriously lol

No matter what the god damn woman was wearing or where she was; that gives nobody the right to rape her. By that same logic if I carry a gun and wear a cowboy hat I deserve to get shot in a duel because I would know better and was asking for it.
Christ man. You run a good enough chance of getting a disease on the fucking train might as well help out a poor lady getting her ass rammed by some dude on the subway.

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-04-09 19:23:06)

13rin
+977|6470
Forcible Felony?  I'd a shot him.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6617|Canada
New York
tbh im not surprised. NY isn't know for it's friendly and helpful people. sad, but true.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5689

destruktion_6143 wrote:

New York
tbh im not surprised. NY isn't know for it's friendly and helpful people. sad, but true.
...because everyone in New York City(the stereo type is not NY state, just the city) is a completely unfriendly. Sorry, but don't believe everything you hear.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6617|Canada

12/f/taiwan wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

New York
...because everyone in New York City(the stereo type is not NY state, just the city) is a completely unfriendly. Sorry, but don't believe everything you hear.
Well there is a reason NYC got its stereotype right?

Last edited by destruktion_6143 (2009-04-09 23:08:12)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

destruktion_6143 wrote:

12/f/taiwan wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Well there is a reason NYC got its stereotype right?
Well there is a bit of truth to every stereotype.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard