Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Healthy human being don't have heart attacks because of "stress and shock".
It can happen, equally its not wise to walk up behind strangers who aren't causing trouble and beat them to the ground.
If you assault someone you have to bear the consequences, whether you're a Police officer or not.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

rammunition wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

rammunition wrote:

did he have a heart condition? link please!
He died of a heart attack, so I'd say yes.
i can't be bothered to explain to you, just because he had a heart attack, doesn't mean he had a condition. there is nothing in the papers and online to suggest he had a condition.

as i have mentioned, stress and shock can cause heart attacks. there have been causes where shock has caused heart attacks. GOT IT?????!!!!!!
Uh... what? Not unless you have a serious heart condition.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People often don't know they have a heart condition until their first, and last, heart attack.
People do die from shock and/or heart failure from what would otherwsie be survivable situations or injuries.
Beating someone to the ground is risky, it shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary, not because Gordon Brown wants to appear tough to his chums.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-04-09 03:56:24)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Dilbert_X wrote:

It can happen, equally its not wise to walk up behind strangers who aren't causing trouble and beat them to the ground.
If you assault someone you have to bear the consequences, whether you're a Police officer or not.
From the amount of "stress" he was put through, no it doesn't. Not to healthy people. Let's not forget that he sat up and then walked away just fine after the incident as well.

The only thing I'll give you is that the officer didn't need to push him down like that. The most he deserves is a couple weeks suspention or fired if he has any previous suspicious behavior.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

From the amount of "stress" he was put through, no it doesn't. Not to healthy people. Let's not forget that he sat up and then walked away just fine after the incident as well.

The only thing I'll give you is that the officer didn't need to push him down like that. The most he deserves is a couple weeks suspention or fired if he has any previous suspicious behavior.
Head injury, perhaps? Those can get nasty, but be unnoticable at first.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Spark wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Head injury, perhaps? Those can get nasty, but be unnoticable at first.
Well he could have had a concussion but I don't think that that would lead to his heart attack.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

You don't know what happened prior to the clip (despite what was said). You can't completely hear the initial dialog. Hands in your pocket could be construed as a threat.

It's sad that the man died, but the demonstration of force by the police did not mean "he was pushed to his death". He probably had an existing condition (a.k.a heart trouble). And no rammunition "no link please". This video snippet is a just a subjective piece as well.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-04-09 04:15:01)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spark wrote:

If things like getting pushed around can kill you, you might want to stay out of mosh pits and potential riot zones.
He was walking home from work, and how many 47 year olds have you hit exactly?
The plod did something dangerous and stupid, the guy died, I hope he gets done for manslaughter.
So being 47 is now a medical contition?

Don't walk through riots areas. Take the long route home. Or don't fucking lollygaggle in front of cops in riot gear.
lollygaggle?

I don't think he was expecting to be attacked from behind by a dick in riot gear, I don't think anybody would expect something like that from the police or anyone, you just don't really expect to be attacked in such a cowardly fashion, let alone from the police

Like I said before, you can take away the fact that he died from a heart attack soon afterwards, if you want, that doesn't change the fact that this guy was still attacked from behind by some guy wearing a balaclava who happened to be police, for no reason whatsoever

I don't see why you idiots are discussing stupid things like "how the hell does that result in a heart attack"

The fact is, this guy was attacked by a policeman and then had a heart attack a few minutes later, it would be ....illogical to think that the two have no connection whatsoever. The guy was pretty far away from the actual big protest blocs, and again, clearly he wasn't a protester or a threat whatsoever

Even if he did have a heart condition, so fucking what? The guy was on his way home, he lived and worked in the area, it doesn't matter that he didn't know he had a condition or not cos he shouldn't have attacked him in the first place

To try and put some sort of blame and "personal responsibility" on the deceased just shows some peoples true colours, yeah, it's all his fault clearly
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
The police fucked up.

Send that officer down.

You can't just push over members of the public, in any scenario or circumstance - riot gear and mass protests or not - and then not help him up. He posed no threat at all and was just quite clearly trying to make his way through the troublespot on his way home, completely minding his own business and showing no relation or communication with the (violent) protestors. Pushing him over like that and then leaving him to get himself up and brush down is bad conduct, fire the useless thug that power-tripped and did it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

He was walking home from work, and how many 47 year olds have you hit exactly?
The plod did something dangerous and stupid, the guy died, I hope he gets done for manslaughter.
So being 47 is now a medical contition?

Don't walk through riots areas. Take the long route home. Or don't fucking lollygaggle in front of cops in riot gear.
To try and put some sort of blame and "personal responsibility" on the deceased just shows some peoples true colours, yeah, it's all his fault clearly
My true colors would be logical thinking and an ubiased opinion towards law enforcement.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Well your thinking is clearly illogical, to be frank.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Sorry but having seen that latest video you can hear the police are shouting at people to move back, if you don't expect to get moved back by force or arrested then your kidding yourself. Everyone else was very visibly moving away from the police line. He didn't, he got pushed, he fell like a sack of shit for whatever reason, the police officer was heavy handed to hit him with the baton but otherwise, I think Tomlinson got off at that point pretty lightly for disobeying a police order.

He could of gone another way home, there's a huge protest going on. If you don't want to get caught up in it, don't go through it or moved when the police tell you to move.

The police officer should be fired or face disciplinary action for the baton hit, which I'm sure he will, but that doesn't change the fact that Tomlinson is a dolt.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6461|UK
Having not seen the video I can't really comment but the state of the police force in this country is actually worrying. It almost seems as if they are free from fault regardless of what they do.

The police seem alright until you have to actually deal with them. You can say the police officer was fed up situational pressure and all of that. The thing is they are trained to handle difficult situations.
mikkel
+383|6602

Vilham wrote:

Sorry but having seen that latest video you can hear the police are shouting at people to move back, if you don't expect to get moved back by force or arrested then your kidding yourself. Everyone else was very visibly moving away from the police line. He didn't, he got pushed, he fell like a sack of shit for whatever reason, the police officer was heavy handed to hit him with the baton but otherwise, I think Tomlinson got off at that point pretty lightly for disobeying a police order.

He could of gone another way home, there's a huge protest going on. If you don't want to get caught up in it, don't go through it or moved when the police tell you to move.

The police officer should be fired or face disciplinary action for the baton hit, which I'm sure he will, but that doesn't change the fact that Tomlinson is a dolt.
In more or less any possible scenario you can conjure up, striking down a man from behind with a baton for passive disobedience is in no way a justified first physical response. What happened in this case is a perfect example of why officers should never resort to violence of this magnitude unless there's a clear and imminent danger, as you never know why people behave the way they do. These guys are still here to protect us, but it seems that some of them tend to forget that.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

Vilham wrote:

Sorry Vilham but you're dead wrong, as usual. I can only assume you hold this viewpoint because you yourself have a bad temper and/or low tolerance and are maybe considering a career in the security services as some sort of means to vent your own aggression?

Firstly, he "fell like a sack of shit", as you so eloquently put it, because he wasn't looking and had his hands in his pockets when the officer pushed him with considerable force. As already pointed out by other people in this thread, you cannot do that to members of the public who are in no way showing any physical aggression towards you, riot or no riot. If anyone else did that it would be assault plain and simple. Secondly, Tomlinson had the right to go home whatever way he saw fit, it was the police's job to inform him what routes were being closed off, which they did... it was not their job to violently put him to the ground for no good reason.

Also, what annoys me most about the story is the attitude of the police. They lied about the incident initially until the video surfaced showing what actually happened, then they lied about what happened when he was being treated until the video surfaced showing what actually happened, then it took a full week for the officer in question to come forward. They just don't seem trustworthy sometimes, it was the same with the De Menezez case.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6184|Ireland
The guy was in the Police's way and they appear to tell him to leave but he doesn't move any faster or react.  He got knocked to the ground, boo fucking hoo to the pussies that are making a huge deal out of this.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

Lotta_Drool wrote:

The guy was in the Police's way and they appear to tell him to leave but he doesn't move any faster or react.  He got knocked to the ground, boo fucking hoo to the pussies that are making a huge deal out of this.
Heaven forbid someone would be annoyed at the police breaking the very rules they are supposed to be enforcing.

Fucking right-wingers, I swear to God... it's like they're from another planet.

Last edited by Braddock (2009-04-11 15:08:04)

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6184|Ireland

Braddock wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Heaven forbid someone would be annoyed at the police breaking the very rules they are supposed to be enforcing.

The Rule:  The Police tell citizens what to do, then the citizens comply if it is a legal order.

When the rule is not followed shit happens like in the video.  Man I wished they tased his ass to death like the bridge jumper.  Then this thread would be justified.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

The Rule:  The Police tell citizens what to do, then the citizens comply if it is a legal order.

When the rule is not followed shit happens like in the video.  Man I wished they tased his ass to death like the bridge jumper.  Then this thread would be justified.
Unless the citizen is ACTUALLY commiting an offence or about to commit an offence, police have no power telling a citizen what to do.

Also its not as easy as he just got pushed to the ground, he died hence why all the fuss.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I hate to break it you but they are not the rules.

...I think you need to go back to the academy for more training.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
That might be the case in the USA, not in Europe.

Police officers there don't give orders, if you refuse a request by a Police officer you may be liable to arrest depending on the situation, but not liable to be beaten to death or tased for walking in the wrong direction or too slowly.

The Police are public servants with a duty to uphold the law, not paramilitary brownshirts.
benefit
+21|5718

rammunition wrote:

this guy was just walking home, nothing to do with this protest, why a thug pushed him, we dont know. i can tell you if you watch where the man fell you can just about see him fall chest first. plus people can get heart attacks from shock, no doubt the pig involved is responsible for his death in my eyes.

i have also been pushed round by "police" officers at protests, they do it on purpose without warning
isn't this the protest you boasted about going to where you would give the police a fight?

it might be you got what you deserved - i don't think this man did
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

Braddock wrote:

Sorry Vilham but you're dead wrong, as usual. I can only assume you hold this viewpoint because you yourself have a bad temper and/or low tolerance and are maybe considering a career in the security services as some sort of means to vent your own aggression?

Firstly, he "fell like a sack of shit", as you so eloquently put it, because he wasn't looking and had his hands in his pockets when the officer pushed him with considerable force. As already pointed out by other people in this thread, you cannot do that to members of the public who are in no way showing any physical aggression towards you, riot or no riot. If anyone else did that it would be assault plain and simple. Secondly, Tomlinson had the right to go home whatever way he saw fit, it was the police's job to inform him what routes were being closed off, which they did... it was not their job to violently put him to the ground for no good reason.

Also, what annoys me most about the story is the attitude of the police. They lied about the incident initially until the video surfaced showing what actually happened, then they lied about what happened when he was being treated until the video surfaced showing what actually happened, then it took a full week for the officer in question to come forward. They just don't seem trustworthy sometimes, it was the same with the De Menezez case.
Yeah I have such a terrible temper... With all of zero fights ive been in since school.

Why wasn't he looking? The police were giving him a direct LEGAL order, something he refused to comply with and should of been arrested for. I would take getting pushed over a criminal record anyday. The police have every right to move you back from their line by force if you refuse to move yourself. He was warned by 15 police shouting move back. He was warned with a light shove. The baton hit was clearly unnessecary, but the second push was not. And that is clearly all it was. A push and not "violently putting him to the ground for no good reason.", Tomlinson should have been paying attention and following police orders.

You have ZERO legal right to walk through a riot police line and the police and media clearly informed the public of the protests going on and where they were.

I have already said the baton hit was unnessecary and yes the police may have witheld information they had, or alternatively they might not have been made aware by the officers that the incident happened in the first place.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Vilham wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Yeah I have such a terrible temper... With all of zero fights ive been in since school.

Why wasn't he looking? The police were giving him a direct LEGAL order, something he refused to comply with and should of been arrested for. I would take getting pushed over a criminal record anyday. The police have every right to move you back from their line by force if you refuse to move yourself. He was warned by 15 police shouting move back. He was warned with a light shove. The baton hit was clearly unnessecary, but the second push was not. And that is clearly all it was. A push and not "violently putting him to the ground for no good reason.", Tomlinson should have been paying attention and following police orders.

You have ZERO legal right to walk through a riot police line and the police and media clearly informed the public of the protests going on and where they were.

I have already said the baton hit was unnessecary and yes the police may have witheld information they had, or alternatively they might not have been made aware by the officers that the incident happened in the first place.
What are you talking about - legal rights? Legal orders? What the fuck? You've never studied law have you? The police force are there to enforce criminal and civil order to ensure the safety of the public. They can't make any 'legal orders' or decide whether or not an innocent bystander has infringed upon their 'legal rights'. They're there to enforce and back-up the rules in the books/legislation that are already written, not to take (riot) law into their own hands and deal out justice as they see fit. This incident was clearly a case of Mr.Macho cop getting a little too fired up with the tension and excitement of the moment, and lashing out on a completely innocent and uninvolved party. Under no public order legislation or in no police training/legal conduct documents are you going to find a clause that allows behaviour such as that. For there to be any application of (lawful or unlawful) force there must be a direct perceived threat or an aggravating and aggressing party. Where was that here? I point you to the men in riot gear with batons.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Ok then uzique, next time you see riot police forming a line across the street and tell people to move back, go walk through the line. I would say they would percieve you as a direct threat and I think you will find they would be within the law to arrest you.

Next your going to claim that if a police officer tells you to stop so they can talk to you or tell you to leave an area you don't have to obey.

Read up yeah:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.as … Id=2156203

Or the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1986
Section 12.

Disobeying a police order is an arrestable offense, section 12 gives police the right to impose conditions like telling people to move back.

Last edited by Vilham (2009-04-19 10:21:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard