Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
Ok I'll make this short and sweet.

Just starting today, I've been having major issues with connecting my steam account. Whenever I try to turn on steam and connect, it gives me a connection error, and when I try it tells me it could not connect with the steam servers.

Now before any one yells at me "TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL!!!!!!"  It's off. My internet is fine. Just as fast as ever, which isn't that fast considering it's campus internet...but that's another complaint for another day.

It tries to update steam, but then it just sits there, and then eventually dissapears with te warning that it cannot connect. It's driving me crazy because I just cannot fix it. I want to play tf2 dangit!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

Reinstall it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6647|Montreal, Qc, Canada
What he said ^
Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
If I uninstall steam, will I have to reinstall all my games again?
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada
I was having major problems too, but mostly with it automatically restarting or just plain closing.

..and the ever-present download bug that isn't fixed, despite what they say.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6673|NT, like Mick Dundee

Bulldogz wrote:

Not sure but even if you do have to there are ways of backing them up so you don't.

Sure it's not your campus internet screwing with it?

@ DefCon, you get that too? /sigh
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
No/Yes
+14|5950|California, USA

Bulldogz wrote:

yes, unless you back-up the files.
Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
what files would I need to back up so that I don't have to reinstall my games?
No/Yes
+14|5950|California, USA

Bulldogz wrote:

right click game on steam, press back-up game files.

I can't tell you anything else because I actually haven't tried backing my game files.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5992|Perth, Australia
If he can't connect to steam then he isn't going to be able to back up his games, no? I suppose you could try offline mode but that only ever works for me when i can connect regularly anyway.

Do you know anyone who could make backups for you? You can install a steam game off someone elses backup.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6443
Go to C:\Program Files\Steam and delete ClientRegistry.blob. Usually helps with steam's obscure problems.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6673|NT, like Mick Dundee

Rod Foxx wrote:

If he can't connect to steam then he isn't going to be able to back up his games, no? I suppose you could try offline mode but that only ever works for me when i can connect regularly anyway.

Do you know anyone who could make backups for you? You can install a steam game off someone elses backup.
Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

Take note of where the files came from and whack them back there afterward.

Should work. I think.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Chorcai
+49|6656|Ireland
just unplug your cable/phone line... start steam then plug back cable/phone line
Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
Ok, so I've tried all of the things you guys have suggested, but to no avail.

heres a description of what it has been doing everytime:

I click on the steam icon on my desktop, and when steam loads, it says "updating steam" but the progress bar never actually goes anywhere. It will sit there for about 5-6 minutes doing nothing. Sometimes It'll progress up to 4% or 5% updated, but then it just goes back down to zero. After a while of this it will tell me "error: could not connect to steam servers. This could be a problem with your internet or with the steam servers"

and then it gives me an option to check out the status of the steam servers, which of course are fine.

This is driving me insane guys, because I can still play half life, but I cannot get on any other game at all. It's getting ridiculous.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6278
Have you tried sending a ticket to Steam Support?

I don't suppose any of this helps? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art … connection

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-03-07 15:18:13)

Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
Yeah I've checked that already...But I will try seeking help from the steam support team or whatever.
Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
Ok update.

I am too the point of giving up. Valve will not help me with there "ask a question" section. I've researched a bit and I'm not the only one with this problem. I've reinstalled countless times...to no avail. It is giving me errors saying that it was "unable to load steam.dll" or something like that. I even download said .dll files and placed them, but it still gives me the error.

Now I'm not saying that it's just steam thats causing this, because I have been having issues with my msn messenger as well. But I have exhausted all plausible causes and I just cannot seem to find anything. I even uninstalled my windows live onecare program that I thought might be blocking the program for whatever reason.

It looks like I am going to have to go back to CoD:WaW and abandon the $150+ worth of games I have on my steam account. I am extremely angry with the service (or lack therof) valve has given me. These games were some of my favorites, and to not be able to play a product I paid for....and then not to get any help is beyond infuriating.

Any insights that might resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated...because I am close to just giving up on this whole issue.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada
Try uninstalling your firewall (unless you're using the Windows one..) and then trying.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

How much of an uninstall if any have you done before reinstalling?

No/Yes wrote:

Bulldogz wrote:

right click game on steam, press back-up game files.
Move the steamapps folder in Steam elsewhere, then uninstall.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5796|Catherine Black

Bulldogz wrote:

abandon the $150+ worth of games I have on my steam account.
Shotgun.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Bulldogz
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
The firewall has been uninstalled for about 2 days now.

I even tried finding the specific ports that steam used and opened them up, but it did nothing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard