Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6156|'straya
Ok guys,

I'm considering a Bachelor of Science with a major in Computer Science, and possibly a major in History and a minor in information systems. (this would be done at the Australian Defence Force Academy) This basically combines 3 of my main interests, Computers, History and the Defence force. (all i need to do now is fit music and motorcycling in to )

So anyways, im wondering if there are any people who have done a computer science degree etc. how they found it, what the job opportunities are like and so forth.

NOTE: this is different to just generic IT degree/certificate.

ADFA website wrote:

Computer Science is one of three disciplines of study
offered in the field of Information Technology. The study
of Computer Science is intimately linked with the study
of the modern digital computer, its design, operational
characteristics and control. Teaching is concentrated
principally in the areas of algorithm specification, data
structures, programming languages, operating systems,
computer networks and artificial intelligence. The final
year of the three-year program has a core concentration
in software engineering, followed by project design and
implementation. This third-year work is oriented strongly
to Defence-related computing projects with direct Service
input and guidance. Typical examples which have been
undertaken include resource allocation studies for RAAF,
system specification for the RAN Command Centre,
war-gaming projects for Army, RAAF Staff College and for
the ADF Warfare Centre.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am currently half way through the application process for ADFA so if i change my mind it would be best to know ASAP.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
CompSci students never get chicks.

ever.

Enjoy your life of silicon celibacy.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-03-05 04:18:20)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6758

Uzique wrote:

Some don't, but the rest of us do (did)
Lawdy_
ahhhh dangit!
+15|5972|Australia

Uzique wrote:

ever.

LBJ gets all the girls...

all the stalkers
Microwave
_
+515|6662|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I do comp sci and I do ok.

Pretty good course but can be kinda boring, and you get lots of pricks on it thinking they know it all because they installed a linux distro.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

I've done an IT degree at Newcastle Uni. It's included plenty of comp sci related courses within it too. If you really are focused and love mathematics you'll enjoy doing a comp sci degree. I focused on business and management with my majors, but the IT degree focused on project design, system design\implementation etc and a comp sci course wouldn't have been vastly different in that regard.

I was tempted to do a comp sci degree, but ultimately I really didn't have the interest to go that in depth in terms of mathematical equations. I still ended up doing a lot of statistical sciences with business however, and many in the programming courses obviously. But comp sci is heavily math based.

It's funny but my love of history also lead me towards a history degree when I first applied for uni, but it became pretty clear that no jobs are worth getting that would want to see you with a Bachelor of history. You either have museum curator, archaeologist or history teacher. And that's it! And your not going to impress anyone with a Comp Sci degree majoring in History.

Stick with a comp sci course but throw any electives you have towards programming (programmers get the big $$$) or towards something that is military related.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

It's shit, don't bother. At least my course is, endless programming. Hence why I'm switching to just IR next year (I currently do a dual honours degree)
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6657|Washington DC

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

So anyways, im wondering if there are any people who have done a computer science degree etc. how they found it, what the job opportunities are like and so forth.
The job opportunities are wonderful if you want to live in India and work for next to nothing ... maybe this isn't the reality, but it just seems to me that there's a lot of work outsourced to India.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

james@alienware wrote:

I do comp sci and I do ok.

Pretty good course but can be kinda boring, and you get lots of pricks on it thinking they know it all because they installed a linux distro.
Very much like bf2s then...

@OP: If you want to be a software engineer/coder/programmer, then CS is a must. Otherwise, well, depends what you want to end up doing really.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

I've put him in touch with somebody doing a Comp/Sci degree right now in Aus. Or tried to anyway.

@ OH, here in Aus just before the crash the IT industry was chasing young graduates. Saw the head of Intel's Australian Branch or w/e doing a speech to our National Press Club about the lack of young Australians entering IT and what it was doing to the sector. Of course things might be different considering since then the global economy has gone the same way Titanic did.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6604|England

Uzique wrote:

ever.

I do Computer Science and there's no way you can say I don't get it enough.

Anyway, the thing to remember is there is a lot of Maths involved. Like, a LOT. Programming isn't too bad, it's just all the damn Maths. Oddly enough on my course there was a fair bit of History too. Some of it interesting, some a lil boring.

Also, don't tell anyone what you're studying. Seriously.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
Hahaha.

"I do computer science and I get allll the honeys".

"Just don't tell anyone what you're studying".

:whistle:
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6138|Carnoustie MASSIF

Uzique wrote:

Hahaha.

Jesus Christ, I'm sorry Uzique, 'cause we all know that you're getting regular sex like 5 or 6 times a week eh?

Fucking leave them alone you prat.
baggs
+732|6212

Uzique wrote:

Hahaha.

Ha ha, don't listen to Uzique, he was smacked too much as a child!

I think you should do what your heart and mind tells you and don't let that be dictated by how much you think you are going to smash your sorry excuse for a penis into some random girl's scratcher.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
So anyways, im wondering if there are any people who have done a computer science degree etc. how they found it, what the job opportunities are like and so forth.( I just got done with school (college) and I got my computer science degree in IT. The jobs as u know now are tough to get since economy sucks but IT field is a good field to get into and there are MANY different variations of the IT field. So when you choose pick wisely I know it can be hard if u havent learned some of the stuff so u cant have preconceived notion about it, but yeah pick something you might like and gl.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
Dad has a BSc in Computer Science - and he's been quite successful since (with putting a lot of work in, of course).
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6461|The Twilight Zone
I studied it. OMG the nerds there. We had class and this guy was always babbling about his new GFX card. I swear if no one was looking I'd hit him in the face, he just wouldn't stop talking about it and I was unable to concentrate on coding. Don't get me started on the few chicks that were studying there...
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
JoshP
Banned
+176|5696|Notts, UK

Uzique wrote:

Hahaha.

i lol'd at that too

self-owned?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

@ blademaster

I heard that things were pretty cash in the database sector (establishing and coding databases, not so much maintaining hardware, maybe it has a proper name idk). Tricky job but pays well apparently.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK

.Sup wrote:

I studied it. OMG the nerds there. We had class and this guy was always babbling about his new GFX card. I swear if no one was looking I'd hit him in the face, he just wouldn't stop talking about it and I was unable to concentrate on coding. Don't get me started on the few chicks that were studying there...
meh, less than 20% of the ppl who do CS at notts are nerdy, rather surprisingly most are football/rudeboy type ppl. Its the least nerdy science ive seen people doing. Lots of ppl doing business related degrees do modules in it too. Although there are certainly very few girls who do it, its never stopped me from getting good looking girls. Apparently Uzique uses his subject to chat up girls or something lulz.

To the OP, there are shit load of graduate opportunities, however the degree personally is boring as fuck.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
@ all the above: It was a joke, playing on well-known stereotypes etc.etc. Are you fucking dumb? Schloppy you're not even at Uni, shut the fuck up.

The self-contradiction was funny, I wasn't being serious. Lighten the fuck up, CompSci nerd-rage much?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
no uzique, theres no such thing as joking on the internet, u said so yourself. That must mean your back peddling!!! omg

JoshP
Banned
+176|5696|Notts, UK

Vilham wrote:

.Sup wrote:

meh, less than 20% of the ppl who do CS at notts are nerdy, rather surprisingly most are football/rudeboy type ppl. Its the least nerdy science ive seen people doing. Lots of ppl doing business related degrees do modules in it too. Although there are certainly very few girls who do it, its never stopped me from getting good looking girls. Apparently Uzique uses his subject to chat up girls or something lulz.

To the OP, there are shit load of graduate opportunities, however the degree personally is boring as fuck.
wait, you're at nottingham uni? or nottingham trent

Spoiler (highlight to read):
lulz either way
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653

Flecco wrote:

@ blademaster

I heard that things were pretty cash in the database sector (establishing and coding databases, not so much maintaining hardware, maybe it has a proper name idk). Tricky job but pays well apparently.
yeah Database is awesome yeah and its not as complicated as Networking or Security and yeah you can get some good cash there true Application side is wanted more by the companies. According to the Project Management book I read while in school:

The most sought after corporate IT workers in 2010 may be those with no deep seated technical skill at all. The nuts and bolts programming and easy to document support jobs will have all gone to third party providers in the U.S. or abroad. Instead, IT departments will be populated with versatilists those with a technology background who also know the business sectors inside and out, can architect and carry out IT plans that will add business value,s and can cultivate relationships both inside and outside the company"
Database Management
Database system Admin

or things along those lines are interesting to me I was thinking getting a master degree in DB or something else, but make sure u know other stuff to not only database since database is connected with other applications.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

JoshP wrote:

Vilham wrote:

.Sup wrote:

wait, you're at nottingham uni? or nottingham trent

Spoiler (highlight to read):
lulz either way
Don't say that, he will actually murder you. Nottingham is the 21st century Harvard-Yale to Vilham.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard