TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6641|Mhz

Bertster7 wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

SirSchloppy wrote:

Get a diesel. High Mpg. Honestly, do it.
I concur, 45-50mpg+, plenty of torque and usually decent bhp.

EDIT: Budget BTW?
Usually poor bhp compared to petrol equivalents.
Torque increase usually makes up for it, increases accelleration, and for a first car you aint going to be going over 70mph anyway so top end speed is pointless, unless you wanna lose your license in the first 2 years.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-02-20 09:29:09)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

Bertster7 wrote:

I concur, 45-50mpg+, plenty of torque and usually decent bhp.

EDIT: Budget BTW?
Torque increase usually makes up for it, increases accelleration, and for a first car you aint going to be going over 70mph anyway so top end speed is pointless, unless you wanna lose your license in the first 2 years.
But they don't have good bhp, like you said. I have a 2 litre engine in my car, that produces 165bhp - find me a diesel (of the same engine capacity) that comes close to matching that.

They feel nasty to drive too. Especially for a hatchback. Little hatchbacks should be nippy and fun. Diesels are not nippy and fun.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6753|St. Andrews / Oslo

Diesel should only be put in big cars tbh.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6692|UK
In case you didn't know, I'm SpamtheBan53 and Uzeek loves me down to my little white cotton socks.

Last edited by m3thod (2009-02-20 10:29:00)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6641|Mhz

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

But they don't have good bhp, like you said. I have a 2 litre engine in my car, that produces 165bhp - find me a diesel (of the same engine capacity) that comes close to matching that.

They feel nasty to drive too. Especially for a hatchback. Little hatchbacks should be nippy and fun. Diesels are not nippy and fun.
I'd say your 165bhp probably only manages what 30mpg combined tops? If you drive it carefully (in which case why have 165bhp) I can rev the tits off mine, have fun with it's puny 70bhp (yes you can have fun, corners can be taken too fast even in a low power car ) and get 50mpg, and his main point was good fuel economy.

Plus my car is an example of probably one of the weakest engines you can get in a diesel form.

Oh and for comparison, Peugeot 207 1.6l HDi Sport, 110 bhp, Torque 180 lbs/ft, 56mpg combined.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2009-02-20 09:50:11)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

Bertster7 wrote:

I'd say your 165bhp probably only manages what 30mpg combined tops? If you drive it carefully (in which case why have 165bhp) I can rev the tits off mine, have fun with it's puny 70bhp (yes you can have fun, corners can be taken too fast even in a low power car ) and get 50mpg, and his main point was good fuel economy.

Plus my car is an example of probably one of the weakest engines you can get in a diesel form.

Oh and for comparison, Peugeot 207 1.6l HDi Sport, 110 bhp, Torque 180 lbs/ft, 56mpg combined.
About 32mpg I think. I get less than that, 'cos I like to rev it quite hard when I get the opportunity.

Ultimately, you drive a 207 diesel - which gives very little frame of reference. I drive a lot of small peugeot diesels (never a 207, but a 206, 106, 306 and 307). They're all horrible to drive.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5702

Mekstizzle wrote:

So he's looking for a first car and wants good MPG but you recommend a 1.6 which will not only be a bitch in insurance but also not the desired MPG he is looking for

Yeah, I'd say 1.4 is the maximum you should go but ideally look for a 1.2, Corsa, Fiesta, Ka etc etc.. you know the typical ones
lmaoeuros
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6641|Mhz

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

About 32mpg I think. I get less than that, 'cos I like to rev it quite hard when I get the opportunity.

Ultimately, you drive a 207 diesel - which gives very little frame of reference. I drive a lot of small peugeot diesels (never a 207, but a 206, 106, 306 and 307). They're all horrible to drive.
Actually I drive a 206 LX 1.9D, if you drive it right it's good fun, just need to keep some decent momentum round corners as it doen't have much grunt if you slow down At the end of the day you don't need power to have fun in a car, putting your foot down in a straight line is fun for about 5 mins, driving like a nutter round the bends is always funny and you don't need more than 100bhp for that.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6381|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
i have a 2.4 liter and get 30mpg city, 40 on highway
phishman420
Banned
+821|5702
i have a 3.2 l v6 and get 20/30
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6864|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Diesels can be fun, I drive one of these regularly.

https://www.mbl.is/smaugl/big/95/318095.jpg
It's slow to start, but once you hit around 3k-4k RPM and the turbine kicks in, you really get going. Plus, you can get up to 10 km/h using the clutch only .
And the noise that 3.0L makes is just

Fuel efficiency...well...nvm.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6702|Disaster Free Zone

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Diesels aren't designed to produce a lot of power, but if you insist.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspe … hnicalSpec
177 BHP, which is more then the petrol equivalent (170).

Fag.

Diesel also produce their power at much lower rev range (3-4k) where most people drive as apposed to petrol where you need 6-8k to reach its full potential.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6653

Incase you didn't know, I'm sa...mtheman:D
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

Sidsnot Samtheman
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6489
spamtheban
Miniman7474
Banned.
+30|6220|Daqing Oilfields?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Wait, who are you?
He's Sarah.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6474|USA
Depends - are you gay? If so buy a Prius, if not get a normal car.
Get something made in your country so you don't pay premium on imports.
Also: consider your investment. Do you want to own a pile of shit in 5 years or own something that will be able to resell easily.

Last edited by elite.mafia (2009-02-20 20:07:46)

Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6250|NSW, Australia

The Sheriff wrote:

Punto's are good
no theyre not
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6551|Sydney, in 1978
Get your ass out of europe and come to the free world where you can have a decent car because you dont have to worry about how many L/100km or miles to the gallon you car does. having said that though, the fiesta comes to mind. Drove a manual one a few weeks ago, very bloody nice car (for a 1.6 anyway) oh and dont get a diesel, they belong in trucks and tractors.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6126|eXtreme to the maX
Who cares how many BHP you have?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard