Brasso
+1,549|6623

does it?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CrazeD
+368|6665|Maine
No.

It's the same as slamming on your brakes really.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

CrazeD wrote:

No.

It's the same as slamming on your brakes really.
without the ABS. 

alright, thanks.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
I do it all the time, Ice or no ice. Its fun.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5674
Used to do 180s in people's yards in my Jeep with the e-brake. I miss her.
Benzin
+576|5991
It can wear the e-brake down rather prematurely ...

But do you really need the e-brake to do a slide on ICE? Come on. If you have a manual gear shift, your job is ten times easier. Pop the clutch (provided you have a rear-wheel drive car)!!!! If nothing else, a good bit of inertia will always do the trick along with some braking. But sliding is always ten times easier if you have a RWD car. If you don't, BUY ONE!
02fxnmaurer
+75|6475|Birmingham UK
most e brakes work via a cable, as long as you don't pull the handbrake abnormally, i.e. within the cables tension level, minimal damage will occur, basically don't yank it to hard when you turn and you should be fine, i do it all the time pulling onto my drive, i never get a full rotation, cause im scared of hitting the house ha.

Last edited by 02fxnmaurer (2009-01-15 15:40:09)

Madhadda1
+270|6537|Cedar Rapids, Iowa

CapnNismo wrote:

It can wear the e-brake down rather prematurely ...

But do you really need the e-brake to do a slide on ICE? Come on. If you have a manual gear shift, your job is ten times easier. Pop the clutch (provided you have a rear-wheel drive car)!!!! If nothing else, a good bit of inertia will always do the trick along with some braking. But sliding is always ten times easier if you have a RWD car. If you don't, BUY ONE!
I prefer FWD when it comes sliding.  First, you have control when you slide, or if you slide at all.  You also get better control on how much you slide.  It also just seems like more fun cranking that thing back and sliding instead of just hoping you find a slick spot.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6387|The Gem Saloon
no.

but your parents will still be pissed if they find out you were doing it

also, curbs hide unbelievably well in snow.....trust me.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5742|شمال
Fun to play on thick snow
A car will not take damage on thick snow or ice. It is also recommended to provoke ABS's function once in a while, just to be sure the system is working.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6512|Πάϊ
No. Now go do some donuts
ƒ³
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
No but if you have a rear wheel drive car its so easy.

I have a ratty, shitty, beat up, slow as fuck, unresponsive 1992 blazer and even i can spin my rear wheels with ease in snow. and i do cause its fun as fuck =]
15 more years! 15 more years!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

Mitch wrote:

No but if you have a rear wheel drive car its so easy.

I have a ratty, shitty, beat up, slow as fuck, unresponsive 1992 blazer and even i can spin my rear wheels with ease in snow. and i do cause its fun as fuck =]
truth

i was toying around with my dads 3 series over xmas fun fun fun in the snow
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6632|Montréal, Québec
It doesnt damage the car except for the e-brake cable and rear brake a little...

Becarfull because i once hit a curb and this is not funny at all... Even if your doing like 20-30 the motion of the slide add up and BANG broke the whole fuckin rear end...
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5957|London, England

You got your license like 2 days ago

don't fuck it up man
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6222|NSW, Australia

handbrake.... definately not "ebrake"

and it will just stretch the cable quicker, and maybe wear out your tires a tiny bit quicker, or put a flat spot in it. ive never driven on ice or snow so i dont know what its like
Benzin
+576|5991

Parker wrote:

no.

but your parents will still be pissed if they find out you were doing it

also, curbs hide unbelievably well in snow.....trust me.
Listen to this man. And to whoever said the snow won't hurt the car. It's not THE SNOW that hurts the car. It's what you DON'T SEE that hurts the car. 20-30mph into a curb will fuck up your suspension and damage your wheels beyond repair. Trust me on this one. I used to race in SCCA autocross, and I've seen what happens when people stop paying attention.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6687|The Ville
I think I fucked my car up doing it a couple of weeks ago lol. I wasn't watching my rpm gauge and now I'm wonerding how high the rpm's were. Oh well it seems to be driving "fine" but I might go and have it checked out in a couple of days.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California
Eventually you will stretch out the cable. You will also probably crash. Its so fucking easy to slide a car on loose surfaces, if you cant do it with out an ebrake learn to drive better before throwing around 3000lbs of metal.

Obiwan wrote:

I think I fucked my car up doing it a couple of weeks ago lol. I wasn't watching my rpm gauge and now I'm wonerding how high the rpm's were. Oh well it seems to be driving "fine" but I might go and have it checked out in a couple of days.
If its driving fine its fine. If you did something its not the kind of thing you wouldn't notice unless your a complete fucking moron. Something would let go and it wouldn't run fine. If nothing let go then just be more mindful next time. But don't watch your RPM, listen. If your doing something where your almost redlining keep your eyes on the road.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2009-01-15 23:46:29)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
^^ If you go sideways into something hard you will bend all sorts of things which are hard to straighten.
I prefer FWD when it comes sliding.
Start saving for new CV joints now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard