Microwave
_
+515|6646|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
This morning, was going out so I put my computer in sleep mode (which I do often), came back  and pressed enter on my keyboard, everything powered up as usual but no signal on the monitor.

I tried holding down the power button to restart but nothing shows on the monitor

I've checked the cables to my monitor and to my graphics card. I've tried taking out the mobo battery to clear the CMOS, nothings changed.

The monitor just says 'no signal'.
Also, no light comes on on my mouse or keyboard.
All the fans in the case, cpu cooler and gfx all power up.

Any idea of what it could be?

Last edited by james@alienware (2008-12-23 07:59:20)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5779|Catherine Black
I love it how when a BF2s'rs computer breaks, they always find another to ask how to fix it on the forums.

/pointless input.

EDIT: Make sure everything is seated correctly, all cables are in plugged in properly, if all that's fine, shut it down for an hour, perhaps your monitor overheated or something.

Now not so pointless

Last edited by Finray (2008-12-23 08:06:00)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Microwave
_
Haha I know, I'm on my little laptop <3

However it's 9" screen and 1.2ghz cpu aren't up to my needs!

Yeah, they are all because it was working before I put it in sleep mode.

Can monitors overheat? :S
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

james@alienware wrote:

Haha I know, I'm on my little laptop <3

However it's 9" screen and 1.2ghz cpu aren't up to my needs!

Yeah, they are all because it was working before I put it in sleep mode.

Can monitors overheat? :S
TFT or CRT?

EDIT: Check all the cables. Double check them. Tech gremlins are known to knock cables out of place.

Last edited by Finray (2008-12-23 08:11:50)

Microwave
_
TFT.

It's unlikely it's that because whenever I got away from my pc I turn the monitor off. 

So annoying.

I'm going to have to borrow a monitor from another comp in my house to try that.

Does anyone know if this kinda problem is associated with any particular component? (Not the monitor)
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

james@alienware wrote:

TFT.
It's unlikely it's that because whenever I got away from my pc I turn the monitor off. 
So annoying.
I'm going to have to borrow a monitor from another comp in my house to try that.
Does anyone know if this kinda problem is associated with any particular component? (Not the monitor)
It'll be to do with the graphics card, so if you have one lying around, swap it in and try.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6405|Finland

tried using the other DVI connector on the gfx card?

make sure the gfx card is seated properly in the slot. it may look ok but double check. it can cause some funky problems.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-12-23 08:23:41)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

I have seen a similar looking thing happen and the faulty component was the monitor cable.

Does it sound like it is going through the normal booting procedure even that there is no picture?
Have you had it power up for long enough time to boot to windows? if so, the mouse and keyboard lights should have lighted.
Do you have onboard graphics? if you do, try with them.
Try to take out all components but CPU, GPU and one ram stick, and try with all ram sticks individually.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Microwave
_
I hadn't thought to try the other dvi connector, i'll try that.

Then another monitor.

Yeah, It does sound like it's going the the booting procedure, I've sat through that so many times I can tell from the sound, ha. + I've got crucial tracer ram so I know the light patterns on the sticks when it boots.

I don't think it has onboard graphics, but I'm pretty sure it's not my gfx card, because it's been worked alot harder than being in sleep mode    unless it just spontaneously decided to die!
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6372|the land of bourbon
if your monitor supports analog and digital input, make sure it's in the right mode.  i've had plenty of headslappers when it is looking for the wrong input mode.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

james@alienware wrote:

I hadn't thought to try the other dvi connector, i'll try that.

Then another monitor.

Yeah, It does sound like it's going the the booting procedure, I've sat through that so many times I can tell from the sound, ha. + I've got crucial tracer ram so I know the light patterns on the sticks when it boots.

I don't think it has onboard graphics, but I'm pretty sure it's not my gfx card, because it's been worked alot harder than being in sleep mode    unless it just spontaneously decided to die!
Computers are like women: Irrational and illogical. Just because it's not under a lot of strain, doesn't mean it won't die.
Microwave
_
Tried the other dvi connector and that didn't work.

Ive left it a while and no lights come on the keyboard or mouse like they normally do when windows loads, so I'm guessing it's not the monitor.....?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

james@alienware wrote:

Ive left it a while and no lights come on the keyboard or mouse like they normally do when windows loads, so I'm guessing it's not the monitor.....?
Nah, probably not the monitor. Did you try another GPU? Tried only one stick of ram, then ever other stick you have individually?
Microwave
_

Finray wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

Nah, probably not the monitor. Did you try another GPU? Tried only one stick of ram, then ever other stick you have individually?
I sadly don't have the luxury of two gfx cards.

I'll try removing some ram next. Is there an obvious faulty component or is it just a matter or ruling out things?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6372|the land of bourbon

james@alienware wrote:

Finray wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I sadly don't have the luxury of two gfx cards.

I'll try removing some ram next. Is there an obvious faulty component or is it just a matter or ruling out things?
if you have a spare cable, hook up your laptop's external video to see if the monitor is at least working.  that should help narrow it down.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)

james@alienware wrote:

Is there an obvious faulty component or is it just a matter or ruling out things?
The Obvious:
Graphics card, monitor, cable.

The Not So Obvious:
PSU, Mobo.

The Highly Unlikely:
Everything else.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

Is there an obvious faulty component or is it just a matter or ruling out things?
The Obvious:

The Not So Obvious:
PSU, Mobo.

The Highly Unlikely:
Everything else.
Just to add that it very often is the Highly Unlikely option
Microwave
_
Haha, so true! I'm so unlucky when it comes to computer stuff!

I've just tried 1 stick at ram so it's not that.

I hope it's the gfx not the mobo. I'm fairly sure it's not the psu because everything 'seems' to power up ok.

Also, because I'm back from uni for the christmas holidays so I may be able to milk a graphics card out of my rents
DUnlimited
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

What GPU is it?
Microwave
_
8800gtx.

(BFG OC2)
MysteryJake
+12|6198|California

james@alienware wrote:

Haha, so true! I'm so unlucky when it comes to computer stuff!

I've just tried 1 stick at ram so it's not that.

I hope it's the gfx not the mobo. I'm fairly sure it's not the psu because everything 'seems' to power up ok.

Also, because I'm back from uni for the christmas holidays so I may be able to milk a graphics card out of my rents
The computer wouldnt even post if it had a bad stick.
Microwave
_

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

The Obvious:

The Not So Obvious:
PSU, Mobo.

The Highly Unlikely:
Everything else.
I've just tried my monitor with my laptop and it works fine so that rules out the monitor and the cable.

I've tried each individual ram stick on it's own which rules out the ram.

Also, which is strange, when I switch it on and it powers up, the mouse lights up but the keyboard doesn't. (It can't have got to where it boots windows or the keyboard would have lit up.

If the gfx card was broken would it still boot windows?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6834|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Try unplugging all fans and such,  I had this problem once, turned out to be a faulty case fan.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6444|The Twilight Zone
Black screen issue. reset CMOS
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Microwave
_

.Sup wrote:

Black screen issue. reset CMOS
Read my op, I've tried that already

Board footer