Rosse_modest
+76|6793|Antwerp, Flanders

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Rosse_modest wrote:

$50 US is a small price to pay for hours and hours of entertainment.
Therein lies the rub. Depending on the game, sometimes it's $50USD for thirty wholesome minutes of entertainment and/or frustration. Hence, piracy!
Then you just need to buy better, I guess. I've never bought a game where its value didn't exceed the cash I paid for it.
Except for Oblivion.

As for the people who play pirate because they can't afford to buy all these games: Don't play them.
I'd like to drive around in an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione but that's a little out of my League financially. Does that mean I'll steal one? Hell, no.

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2008-12-15 04:41:22)

Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|6013|Belgium

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I know I'm in a minority but, I do buy the games I download if they're any good, take Fallout 3, I DLd that first and liked it so much I went and ordered the game 2 days after getting it, even though I'd pretty much finished the game once through already, that game has re-play value and justifies it's price, I've downloaded games that are ok but not worth the money so I just get rid of them or wait til they come down in price and buy them later, crap games I just delete and carry on with the good games.

The only game I've never DLd and just gone out and bought is Spore, and what a fucking mistake that was, biggest disappointment of my gaming life, total waste of money so I'll never do that again, people argue that demo's are for the purpose of testing but tbh they're quite often not exactly like the full game and as such unreliable, they also don't give you an idea of how the game plays out in the long term, I can be left wanting more from a 20 min demo only to go buy it and be bored shitless after 2 hours.

Sadly 99.9% of downloaders wont buy games if they already have them for free, I make a point of buying good games, and ditching the shit ones, it's my little vote for quality games, otherwise the shit publishers have a chance at making money from utter crap, while I'd be much happier if they went bankrupt and allowed quality games developers to thrive.
That's why companies should implement a try-then-buy system for games, you download it for free, play it for a day/couple of hours and if you like it you buy it and if you don't you sink it.
Machine_Madness
Madness has now come over me
+20|6453|Brisbane, Australia

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

That's why companies should implement a try-then-buy system for games, you download it for free, play it for a day/couple of hours and if you like it you buy it and if you don't you sink it.
That.

The only games I torrented are games that dont have demos. If they are good, I end up buying them.

A demo is a necessity for a game, its like buying a pair of shoes or shirt, you may try it on before you buy. It seems game companies dont like putting out demos because they are scared that people will judge their game on just that, well thats the point of it.

I torrented Fallout 3 to try it, played 3 hours, loved it, un-installed, went to the shops and bought it, re-installed and am having fun times.
I torrented COD:5 after playing the terrible multilayer beta hopeing single player would be decent, played the first 3 levels and un-installed, so glad I didnt buy it.

/myjustificationfortorrentinggames

Last edited by Machine_Madness (2008-12-15 05:30:06)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6637|Mhz

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I know I'm in a minority but, I do buy the games I download if they're any good, take Fallout 3, I DLd that first and liked it so much I went and ordered the game 2 days after getting it, even though I'd pretty much finished the game once through already, that game has re-play value and justifies it's price, I've downloaded games that are ok but not worth the money so I just get rid of them or wait til they come down in price and buy them later, crap games I just delete and carry on with the good games.

The only game I've never DLd and just gone out and bought is Spore, and what a fucking mistake that was, biggest disappointment of my gaming life, total waste of money so I'll never do that again, people argue that demo's are for the purpose of testing but tbh they're quite often not exactly like the full game and as such unreliable, they also don't give you an idea of how the game plays out in the long term, I can be left wanting more from a 20 min demo only to go buy it and be bored shitless after 2 hours.

Sadly 99.9% of downloaders wont buy games if they already have them for free, I make a point of buying good games, and ditching the shit ones, it's my little vote for quality games, otherwise the shit publishers have a chance at making money from utter crap, while I'd be much happier if they went bankrupt and allowed quality games developers to thrive.
The only other option is a sort of pay as you go system, you DL the game, 'rent' for a while, say £5 for 2 hours, after that the game auto-saves and locks you out, if you want to play more you pay again, that way you pay for the ammount of entertainment you are actually getting, it's an idea I've had in my head for a long time, I'm not sure anyone does it, I've never looked if I'm honest but, I can't see many reasons why it wouldn't work.

EDIT: It also adds a strong insentive to make games have huge re-playability value, or at least tons of content to keep you interested, some dev's would add tons of crap just to drag the game out but if you aren't having fun you simply stop paying so that wouldn't get them very far.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-12-15 05:32:46)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6724|67.222.138.85

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Any excuses given by people who pirate games are just them trying to justify it. There's nothing to justify. It's wrong. It's damaging. It'll come back to haunt them in the future. End of story.
No it doesn't. You can't tell me that a PC game is worth $50 US. And until games are marketed at a reasonable price relative to what they offer piracy is going to continue.
I played BF2 for well over 1000 hours. Including BF2, SF, EF, and AF BF2 has costed me directly a dime an hour to play. Compared to the cost of a movie or just about anything, that's very cheap.

Saying the price should be lower so you steal it is rationalizing. If it's overpriced, it's overpriced, it doesn't give you a pass to steal it.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6584|NYC / Hamburg

copyright infringement =/= stealing
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5764|Croatia
Why would I pay for something I can get for free?!
Longbow
+163|6663|Odessa, Ukraine

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I just got linked to this article from the Steam Users Forums.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

***I very highly recommend people (especially PC gamers) read through the whole thing.***

I doubt many (if any) of you will read it in its entirety, but i'm going to try my best to get people to at least try. It took me over 3 hours to read, but i'm now in a state where i feel I have a much better idea of whats going on. It talks about the economics and scale of piracy, compares PCs to consoles, and finally talks about DRM. It's all completely unbiased and tries to be as factual as possible.

I now firmly believe that nobody has any excuse to pirate PC games. It is doing significant damage to the industry, and while MMO's, casual titles and online games are still profitable for companies on the PC, traditional singleplayer games are not, and many companies have been making the move to consoles within the last few years, and they all say its due to piracy. Now I don't want to have to play console ports on my PC. They suck. Console games in general don't stand up to a well made PC exclusive title. However that's the future for these sorts of PC games if people continue pirating games the way they are.

Please read it. It's quite an eye opener. For the record, i've not pirated any PC games that I can think of in recent memory. Back in the day my brother may have given me a cracked copy of something about 5 years ago, but its all in the past. Both I and him now buy all our PC games. To me, being a poor student, this means mot playing the vast majority of what comes out. This year the only 2008 PC games i've played have been my brothers copy of Dead Space, and my copies of Left 4 Dead, Kane's Wrath, and Crysis Warhead. I can't afford more than that. But I don't pirate them. I keep every other game i'm interested in on a list of possibly future purchases.

tl;dr

Don't pirate games. Buy them or just don't play them. More and more developers are crossing over to consoles, and the reason they all give is PC piracy. They know more than you do on the subject so don't blindly say they're wrong. Pirating games is only hurting us all in the long run. Stop it now while there's still time to pull back.
tbh the style of that article reminds me the ones that start with "Why I decided to wait untill marriage"
Mexanick
+3|6470|Russia
Don't pirate PC games IF you care about PC gaming future. I dont care, so if all the good game titles will go to consoles, ill wish them luck. And if I wont't have the money for alfa-romeo super-mega-xxl 5000, but will have ability to copy it 1-to-1 for free, I'll do it.
So, developers are good = true, steam is good = 50/50, classic publishers are good = false, DRM is good = bullcrap.
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5764|Croatia

Mexanick wrote:

Don't pirate PC games IF you care about PC gaming future. I dont care, so if all the good game titles will go to consoles, ill wish them luck. And if I wont't have the money for alfa-romeo super-mega-xxl 5000, but will have ability to copy it 1-to-1 for free, I'll do it.
So, developers are good = true, steam is good = 50/50, classic publishers are good = false, DRM is good = bullcrap.
Exactly.Why the fuck would I care for gaming future?!It's not water and we will all die without it.Imho,as long as there is gaming and pc's and shit there will be piracy!
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6303|eng
I've never pirated a single game in my entire life, it's just too much hastle with cracks and all that shit.

I have the money so I buy them. I don't really get that many games either, BF2 suits me fine.
#rekt
HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6726|Germany
Seriously, I don´t understand what all the fuzz is about lately.
20 years ago we did the same thing on a daily bases. Of all of my friends back in the days with their C64/Amiga whatever
nobody owned a bought game.
We exchanged tapes copied from vinyls in school all the time.
Granted, there was no internet or torrenting back in the days but the principle was basically the same.

So please stop your boo-hoi about "stealing" games and such. It was always around, it will always be and
looking at the facts : PC gaming didn´t die back in the days and it will not die today because
of piracy.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6287
I didn't say it will die. I didn't say it was stealing. I said its getting severely damaged. You don't need to look far to see that. Epic, id, Crytek. These are all big game companies that have always been PC centered. But now? They've all said that piracy is the reason they now develop for consoles first and foremost. And I think everyone can agree that their console games with PC ports have been pretty poor compared to previous games. Everyone I know thinks UT3 is crap. Same with Gears. Gears 2 isn't even coming out on the PC, and Cliff said it was because of piracy. Look at GTA IV. Rockstar began on the PC, and have always made good PC ports in the past. This time they just didn't bother. They knew it would be pirated.
The quality of most PC games is dropping significantly. And no doubt every single person here who pirates games just because they can will be here complaining about it. Something to keep in mind: It's your fault.

I don't want Crytek to start making console games. I don't want Epic to keep making shallow console shooters. Even Valve. Beloved Valve! Left 4 Dead on the PC shows many signs of being developed with a console in mind. No serverbrowser, coloured bars instead of ping, unstreamlined menu, etc. I want Rockstar to put a good deal of effort and thought into their PC ports of GTA games, or even better, develop them for the PC in the first place. Battlefield. Compare BF2 to Bad Company. Yuck. Hopefully though we'll get a new proper Battlefield game in the not too distant future. It's always been a big money maker for DICE and EA. But what if when they make it they make it side along with a console version? The quality will be way below standards and you know it. It could very easily happen.

As the article shows, the gaming PC install base is easily big enough to get comparative sales as the consoles. But. The sales just don't stand up. I'm not suprised at all that the move to consoles is happening. But I don't want it to .

You can't compare piracy 20 years ago to piracy today. The internet changed everything.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 07:57:31)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I didn't say it will die. I didn't say it was stealing. I said its getting severely damaged. You don't need to look far to see that. Epic, id, Crytek. These are all big game companies that have always been PC centered. But now? They've all said that piracy is the reason they now develop for consoles first and foremost. And I think everyone can agree that their console games with PC ports have been pretty poor compared to previous games. Everyone I know thinks UT3 is crap. Same with Gears. Gears 2 isn't even coming out on the PC, and Cliff said it was because of piracy. Look at GTA IV. Rockstar began on the PC, and have always made good PC ports in the past. This time they just didn't bother. They knew it would be pirated.
The quality of most PC games is dropping significantly. And no doubt every single person here who pirates games just because they can will be here complaining about it. Something to keep in mind: It's your fault.

I don't want Crytek to start making console games. I don't want Epic to keep making shallow console shooters. Even Valve. Beloved Valve! Left 4 Dead on the PC shows many signs of being developed with a console in mind. No serverbrowser, coloured bars instead of ping, unstreamlined menu, etc. I want Rockstar to put a good deal of effort and thought into their PC ports of GTA games, or even better, develop them for the PC in the first place. Battlefield. Compare BF2 to Bad Company. Yuck. Hopefully though we'll get a new proper Battlefield game in the not too distant future. It's always been a big money maker for DICE and EA. But what if when they make it they make it side along with a console version? The quality will be way below standards and you know it. It could very easily happen.

As the article shows, the gaming PC install base is easily big enough to get comparative sales as the consoles. But. The sales just don't stand up. I'm not suprised at all that the move to consoles is happening. But I don't want it to .

You can't compare piracy 20 years ago to piracy today. The internet changed everything.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i … tory=18843
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6287
Indeed. Valve do everything right. They have no problems with Piracy do they.

But the fact still remains that its driving most developers away from the platform.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 09:30:19)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Indeed. Valve do everything right. They have no problems with Piracy do they.

But the fact still remains that its driving most developers away from the platform.
did you read the article?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6287
I've read it before, but no not just now. Ok i'll read it again.

Ok. Yeah. Have you read the one i posted?

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 09:44:28)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

I read about 15 minutes of it then got bored.

The way I see it is companies move to consoles because Sony and Microsoft pay them to. Piracy is just their excuse for their shitty games failing and for them to sell out.

Not to mention consoles aren't piracy free.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6287
Well you obviously didn't read far enough then.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6411|The Gem Saloon

blah wrote:

because some people in the world are not opportunistic parasites that feel they are owed something.

one resounding theme i hear is;
A. if they would lower the price people wouldnt pirate them.

B. if they made the games better people wouldnt pirate them.

to the first i will say this;
check out supply and demand.
i promise, it will blow your mind. they can charge whatever the market can handle. if people pay it, they will charge it. in the day and age of movies costing $20-$25, double that for a game you may well play for years to come is not outrageous.
sounds to me like you are just cheap and want something for free.
another world beater

and regarding them having to make games better in order for people to NOT steal them;

that is probably one of the single most dumbshit arguments i have heard in my life.
my car broke last week, i think im just gonna go steal my next one...fuck paying them money!

who raises you people, seriously?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6584|NYC / Hamburg

Parker wrote:

blah wrote:

because some people in the world are not opportunistic parasites that feel they are owed something.

one resounding theme i hear is;
A. if they would lower the price people wouldnt pirate them.

B. if they made the games better people wouldnt pirate them.

to the first i will say this;
check out supply and demand.
i promise, it will blow your mind. they can charge whatever the market can handle. if people pay it, they will charge it. in the day and age of movies costing $20-$25, double that for a game you may well play for years to come is not outrageous.
sounds to me like you are just cheap and want something for free.
another world beater

and regarding them having to make games better in order for people to NOT steal them;

that is probably one of the single most dumbshit arguments i have heard in my life.
my car broke last week, i think im just gonna go steal my next one...fuck paying them money!

who raises you people, seriously?

max wrote:

copyright infringement =/= stealing
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6464|Boulder, CO

DefCon-17 wrote:

In VALVe we trust.

I've pirated games.
..But to be honest, I've never bothered playing those again, even if I have them burned on DVD. The only games I play repeatedly are the ones I bought.

Or, I kinda use pirated games as demos.
At first I downloaded Company of Heroes, but I own it legitimately now. (For example. Same with BF2.)

So basically, if I pirate a game that I end up liking, I'll buy it.
If I don't like it, I'll stop playing it and won't buy it. They don't deserve my money if I don't like the game.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. If I really do want a game I'll buy it, if it looks ok but a bit meh then I'll download it. I wouldn't buy any of the games I download at any rate.  Some games are really worth buying like fallout 3 and left 4 dead, so I do. Other games like far cry 2 or dead space I wouldn't buy as they look a bit dull so I torrent them. After one month I've played far cry 2, 3 times and dead space I've not even installed. On the other hand I've completed fallout 3 several times and I play left 4 dead each night.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5981|London, England

Maybe if you could return PC games then there would be less piracy?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
Thanks, but I'd rather download them for free...
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6287
Has a single person read the whole article?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard