[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6602|sWEEDen
Ah ...surprising I must say, even if it´s legit, atleast I´m impressed by the effort made.

Now...why should we pay extra for clean energy and the companies not pay extra for dirty energy? ...hehe. 
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6419|North Carolina

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

Ah ...surprising I must say, even if it´s legit, atleast I´m impressed by the effort made.

Now...why should we pay extra for clean energy and the companies not pay extra for dirty energy? ...hehe. 
Keep thinking like that, and someone might call you a commie... 

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6602|sWEEDen
I´ve been called worse... hehe =P
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6425|'Murka

Reciprocity wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Newsflash: traditional coal plants = thing of the past.
Please tell that to the thousands employed by them.
"Hey, thousands of coal people, the plants you work in are out-dated and filthy."

Done and done.

any more rhetoric?
I guess it's a good thing he's going to massively expand welfare...he's going to need to when the coal miners lose their jobs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6721|67.222.138.85
The problem I see is why the government is forcing anyone out of business. Why not give incentives to build environmentally friendly plants, instead of punishing the current plants?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

FEOS wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Please tell that to the thousands employed by them.
"Hey, thousands of coal people, the plants you work in are out-dated and filthy."

Done and done.

any more rhetoric?
I guess it's a good thing he's going to massively expand welfare...he's going to need to when the coal miners lose their jobs.
And I'll be happy to work five extra hours in a twelve hour day to stack up the required tax dollars.
san4
The Mas
+311|6703|NYC, a place to live

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The problem I see is why the government is forcing anyone out of business. Why not give incentives to build environmentally friendly plants, instead of punishing the current plants?
It's not punishment, it's making dirty coal plants pay for the damage they cause.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6543|Global Command
that's why Obamas tax the top 5% makes me laugh.

The top 5% control commodities. Their profit margin is a fixable thing.

The " get the rich " will trickle down.
Flaming_Maniac

san4 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It's not punishment, it's making dirty coal plants pay for the damage they cause.
Do you want to pay for the damage you cause to the environment by buying electricity generated by coal burning plants?
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6602|sWEEDen
You already do by buying their "products"....
Flaming_Maniac

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

You already do by buying their "products"....
No, do you want to pay specifically for the damage caused to the environment. Right now you pay for the service.
san4
The Mas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

san4 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Do you want to pay for the damage you cause to the environment by buying electricity generated by coal burning plants?
It's a question of putting the costs where they belong. There's no argument for making the victims of coal pollution pay for the damage they suffer. If it causes my electric bills to go up, what's the alternative?

It's also a question of economic efficiency. I'm guessing coal pollution costs society more in the long run than society saves producing cheap electricity.

Last edited by san4 (2008-11-02 19:48:12)

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6602|sWEEDen
You pay for the services....which pays for their damages....and soo on. You can aviod this if you buy green energy.

And yes...here we do pay taxes and fees which takes that kind of damage in consideration. All in ratio of the damage you inflict, like driving a car or owning a coal powerplant.

All in all...I don´t want to inflict or pay for that kind of damages of course...soo I try to minimize my impact on nature, I don´t own a car, I buy green energy and I try to buy ecological food as much as possible.
Flaming_Maniac

san4 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

san4 wrote:

It's a question of putting the costs where they belong. There's no argument for making the victims of coal pollution pay for the damage they suffer. If it causes my electric bills to go up, what's the alternative?

It's also a question of economic efficiency. I'm guessing coal pollution costs society more in the long run than society saves producing cheap electricity.
Are you a victim of coal pollution? haha

The companies wouldn't care if they could pass on the price to the consumer. Problem is the same people that are going to vote to put the tax on are the same ones that are going to whine when the cost of energy goes up.

That is quite the guess. There is no research at all to back up your claim.
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
+77|6602|sWEEDen
The costs is already passed onto the comsumer, the thing is they don´t need to pass it onto us, they already earn enough to pay the taxes and fees by themselves, but hey, greed is a bitch.

Last edited by [F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi (2008-11-02 20:05:16)

san4
The Mas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

san4 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Are you a victim of coal pollution? haha

The companies wouldn't care if they could pass on the price to the consumer. Problem is the same people that are going to vote to put the tax on are the same ones that are going to whine when the cost of energy goes up.

That is quite the guess. There is no research at all to back up your claim.
I don't think I am personally a victim of coal pollution, but that doesn't seem relevant. Wait, was that a joke? The "haha" kind of tipped me off.

Fine with me if the companies pass on the additional cost to the consumer. The current price of coal power is artificially low and raising it to a level that reflects its true costs will help society make more informed decisions about it. If people whine about it, that's fine. They should have been whining about it for the last 100 years but society has allowed the costs of coal burning to be excluded from the price of coal-produced energy. Society has made uninformed choices as a result.

If global warming destabilizes civilization as we know it, or even makes the earth uninhabitable, I think it's fair to say that's a greater cost than higher electric bills.
ATG
Banned
hOLE LEE FUCK,

You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6014|...
well great which ever president you're going to pick, be it obama or mccain, your country will be royally fucked in the backdoor

I'd like to see what the world looks like in 2-4 years time

Last edited by dayarath (2008-11-03 10:35:22)

inane little opines
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6388|Kyiv, Ukraine
Funny that McCain and Obama have identical stances in regards to coal power and the coal industry in general.

McCain, Drudge, and Faux News have banded together to attack...themselves.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6419|North Carolina

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Funny that McCain and Obama have identical stances in regards to coal power and the coal industry in general.

McCain, Drudge, and Faux News have banded together to attack...themselves.
What's even stranger is that Matt Drudge favors Obama...  or at least he did a few months ago.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6689|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

hOLE LEE FUCK,

You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.
McCain has basically the same policy...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
san4
The Mas

ATG wrote:

hOLE LEE FUCK,

The cost of coal-made electricity won't change. We just won't be able to shift it to future generations anymore.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6720

Turquoise wrote:

Obama's made some serious gaffes, but none of them have come close to the ones Palin has made.  Granted, Biden has made quite a few, and so has McCain.
Obama has made  few gaffs.  He fully believes in what he has said, and in this case, I support him.  I'm going to admit right now that while I may consider myself a conservative constitutionalist, air quality and large scale energy production do need to be regulated by the government, since they impact everybody.  Coal is cheaper than any other energy source right now, so without government interference, it's going to continue expanding.  Note that I do not support Obama for the presidency.  In fact, I would be deeply concerned if he won.
ATG
Banned

san4 wrote:

ATG wrote:

hOLE LEE FUCK,

The cost of coal-made electricity won't change. We just won't be able to shift it to future generations anymore.
This is an example why people with no conception of how business works perhaps should not vote.

The whole premise of the cap and trade scheme is to fuck businesses over the phony science of the al gores of the world.
We'll see how the economy responds to this. In two years we may be looking back at the last six months as the good old days.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6720

ATG wrote:

san4 wrote:

ATG wrote:

hOLE LEE FUCK,
This is an example why people with no conception of how business works perhaps should not vote.

The whole premise of the cap and trade scheme is to fuck businesses over the phony science of the al gores of the world.
We'll see how the economy responds to this. In two years we may be looking back at the last six months as the good old days.
ATG, this is a classic case of BIG BAD GOVERNMENT VS. BIG BAD CORPORATIONS.  I've talked to a lot people, I've a lot done research, and I've come to realize the truth.  In the case of energy production, we actually *Gasp!* Need government to step in.  We have had the capability to develop more efficient ways of producing energy.  The truth is, corporations don't want us to become energy independent.  If everybody had a solar panel in their backyard, they wouldn't have to rely on anybody for their energy.  I've seen solar panels that are 40% more efficient than the ones currently in use, and that was 10 years ago at a navy technology convention!  Have you looked at all of the disappearances/deaths of energy research scientists? 

Of course, there's always the possibility that government would do a worse job, since oil and coal companies have so much power there already.  I'm starting to become disillusioned to authority in general.  They are not good for much beyond staying at the top of the food chain.

Damn!  I hate it when I get in arguments with myself!
It really is difficult to say who would do a worse job.  It may not be going well right now, but if government became any more involved than is already is, I can see things getting much worse.

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2008-11-03 18:36:34)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard