Traktortom2
+11|5936
From the CoD: WaW HQ

We're rapidly approaching the PC BETA, and as such I wanted to lay out a few key features to the PC version of CoD:WW, and what ramifications it will have on the PC BETA.

First, the entire key authentication / master server paradigm is changing for the first time in a Call of Duty PC title. In CoD:WW, you will be authenticating in-game against a more global master server. This server will keep track of and maintain unique Profile names (like a screenname) which will be tied to your CD Key. So while username / passwords will not be required to play our game, you will have globally unique profile names.

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC. So we have built-in Friends functionality. You can add friends, filter your servers by Friends (see which servers your friends are playing in), join their servers, etc. You can also invite any online friends to come join you in your current game. We didn't want the new Squad mechanics we've developed to get watered down on the PC, which is ultimately why we decided to bring you Friends & Invites, and thus globally unique profile names.

Now we understand that clan tags can change frequently, and it would be obnoxious and not very user friendly to keep changing your profile name. So we've added in clan tag prefixes, which will show up in-game. This should allow you to take full advantage of our Friends & Invites features, and still be able to make yourself more uniquely identifiable in-game.

So what does this have to do with the BETA?

You will be required to enter a CD Key for the BETA, much like you will when you get the full game this November. These PC keys will be available to all registered users of CallOfDuty.com, including any new users who sign up after the PC BETA releases. These keys aren't intended to limit the BETA to a certain number of players; they are here to allow you to create these unique profile names for our Friends and Invites features.

How will BETA servers work?

The PC BETA will pretty much be a limited MP distribution of our game. So you will be able to host your own servers, and GSP's will be able to sell BETA servers and put up as many dedicated servers as they'd like. All of this will function as if it were a regular Multiplayer game. It's important to note, that for the BETA, the dedicated server will be Windows only.

Will our XP / accounts / friends transfer over from the BETA?

No, all accounts will be deleted after the BETA, just like on the Xbox 360.

More specifics on when the BETA will be released, how it will be released, and where you'll be receiving your keys will be made available in my next update. Rest assured, we want to get you this BETA just as badly as you want to get it, so your patience is appreciated.

Traktortom2
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6650|Spokane, Washington

This is like....a week old?
Swope
+55|6167|Germany

Traktortom2 wrote:

From the CoD: WaW HQ

We're rapidly approaching the PC BETA, and as such I wanted to lay out a few key features to the PC version of CoD:WW, and what ramifications it will have on the PC BETA.

First, the entire key authentication / master server paradigm is changing for the first time in a Call of Duty PC title. In CoD:WW, you will be authenticating in-game against a more global master server. This server will keep track of and maintain unique Profile names (like a screenname) which will be tied to your CD Key. So while username / passwords will not be required to play our game, you will have globally unique profile names.

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC. So we have built-in Friends functionality. You can add friends, filter your servers by Friends (see which servers your friends are playing in), join their servers, etc. You can also invite any online friends to come join you in your current game. We didn't want the new Squad mechanics we've developed to get watered down on the PC, which is ultimately why we decided to bring you Friends & Invites, and thus globally unique profile names.

Now we understand that clan tags can change frequently, and it would be obnoxious and not very user friendly to keep changing your profile name. So we've added in clan tag prefixes, which will show up in-game. This should allow you to take full advantage of our Friends & Invites features, and still be able to make yourself more uniquely identifiable in-game.

So what does this have to do with the BETA?

You will be required to enter a CD Key for the BETA, much like you will when you get the full game this November. These PC keys will be available to all registered users of CallOfDuty.com, including any new users who sign up after the PC BETA releases. These keys aren't intended to limit the BETA to a certain number of players; they are here to allow you to create these unique profile names for our Friends and Invites features.

How will BETA servers work?

The PC BETA will pretty much be a limited MP distribution of our game. So you will be able to host your own servers, and GSP's will be able to sell BETA servers and put up as many dedicated servers as they'd like. All of this will function as if it were a regular Multiplayer game. It's important to note, that for the BETA, the dedicated server will be Windows only.

Will our XP / accounts / friends transfer over from the BETA?

No, all accounts will be deleted after the BETA, just like on the Xbox 360.

More specifics on when the BETA will be released, how it will be released, and where you'll be receiving your keys will be made available in my next update. Rest assured, we want to get you this BETA just as badly as you want to get it, so your patience is appreciated.

Traktortom2
you seem to be pr0 at copy + paste
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6692|The Ville
A pro at copy/paste without the link as well

Last edited by Obiwan (2008-10-23 12:37:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC.
Typically console staples? 'Bringing it' to the PC? What a load of tripe. I've seen friends and invites before consoles picked that up.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC.
Typically console staples? 'Bringing it' to the PC? What a load of tripe. I've seen friends and invites before consoles picked that up.
ever heard of xfire?

we don't need this stuff in game, because we have it outside of game, and have since long before consoles picked it up.

This sounds exactly like what they did with BF2142 anyways, do they think they're being original?

Last edited by Miggle (2008-10-23 13:19:36)

https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

This news is only three years old, and he stated that he got it from the CoD website, www.callofduty.com

The beta is most likely starting tomorrow.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5902|CA
So, who's getting the BETA?

Last edited by TopHat01 (2008-10-23 22:23:23)

Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

TopHat01 wrote:

Everyone that is registered at callofduty.com

I should be getting one (I got a 360 key), but I have no idea when the PC Beta is going to start.
I was assuming today, but maybe it'll be tomorrow.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6341

Ryan wrote:

TopHat01 wrote:

Everyone that is registered at callofduty.com

I should be getting one (I got a 360 key), but I have no idea when the PC Beta is going to start.
I was assuming today, but maybe it'll be tomorrow.
The PC Beta is already running as far as I know. But the tards at callofduty.com send me an email with a fricken 360 key (although I checked PC in the profile) that expires on the 19th of October. Good job, well done!
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6544
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6692|The Ville

TopHat01 wrote:

I'm in the 360 beta. I hate the damn attack dogs. you get +2 points when you kill one of the dogs though.
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6176
Release date is tomorrow, the 28th, though you can preload through FilePlanet.

JD_2020 wrote:

Well to keep in the spirit of things, I’ve just gone ahead and created a video for you all . Enjoy!

Code: Select all
    http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/index … c46966b538

What does the PC BETA include?

3 Maps: Castle, Makin, and Roundhouse (yes, map hole fixed). All gametypes will be available, and your level cap will be set to 40.

And of course, in case you missed the memo, there will be a fleet of Day-1 servers provided by GameServers.com to ensure you find a lag-free server right out of the gate.

I see players in servers!!!
That's us testing. We've been testing all the day-1 servers, and preparing this thing for the launch. If you saw anybody in servers over the past few days, or tonight, that's us . The good news is, all systems are go, and I can't wait to tear it up with you guys tomorrow!!!

How will this all go down?

The minute the BETA launches, an e-mail will be sent out to every registered user on CallOfDuty.com, informing them of the launch. You will simply need to go to your Account / Profile tab of your account and your code will be right there (not just yet, when the thing goes live). You’ll also see a nice big announcement here, and some PC BETA forums will be created.

The Account / Profile page will also have a mirror listing of all known mirrors where you can download the file. The file you download will require a key upon installation, which is where you’ll enter the code you find in your profile.

But my FilePlanet download has started, what does this mean?

Nothing. It means that if you are a paid subscriber, they are allowing you to pre-load the file (it's rather large). You will not be able to play without a key, and probably won't even be able to install it until they unlock the file. So please don't get your hopes up thinking you'll be playing tonight, because you wont .

Stay tuned!

Regards,
-JD
http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtop … mp;t=38483

And, you apparently don't need to be a paying subscriber to preload, as I have had no issues with it:
https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r195/w4hagen/beta.png

Last edited by [HOF]Mercenary (2008-10-27 20:57:10)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

lol watching the vids on youtube there had better be a huge improvement on the pc version.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6544
I want to know what vehicles are in it. I have only seen tanks and I heard rumor of a plane.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6341
Still needs a key...
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6284|eng

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

I want to know what vehicles are in it. I have only seen tanks and I heard rumor of a plane.
Tanks and jeeps I think.
#rekt
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

Will preload this when i get home from work, am waiting for my beta key
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

PC beta downloaded and ready from fileplanet, according to cod hq the key is only a few hours away ... possibly around midnight GMT ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6176
Swheeeet! Keys out
https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r195/w4hagen/BETAKEY.png
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6550|Scotland

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

Swheeeet! Keys out
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r195 … ETAKEY.png
No email for me = /
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6550|Scotland
Wait scrap that, go to account part of www.callofduty.com and it's there!
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5972|England

White-Fusion wrote:

Wait scrap that, go to account part of www.callofduty.com and it's there!
where?
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6550|Scotland
1 - Log on to www.callofduty.com
2 - Go to "My account"
3 - Go to the third tab "Account profile"
That should be it!

Last edited by White-Fusion (2008-10-28 13:47:56)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
No key for me yet either.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard