max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

sure you can upgrade the GPU yourself. Read up on MXM
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6459|The Twilight Zone
i want usb graphics, now
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Smithereener
+138|6322|California

max wrote:

Oh, that's what you were referring to... IIRC, even with MXM-I/II/etc., there's still no real standard as notebook manufacturers sometimes use their own versions of a card or something like that. And even if you manage to get a GPU that'll maybe fit into your notebook, it's soldered onto the mainboard already, so I wouldn't quite call that user-upgradeable.

Or maybe a lot has changed since I last heard of it. Aside from the C90, I can't think of any other notebook that you can actually buy and install another GPU.
Microwave
_
+515|6661|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
HP Mininote

92% full size keyboard.... enjoy!
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6445|King Of The Islands

L2realnotebooks

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
jamiet757
+138|6628
Asus S96s
Computer_Guy
+54|6703
Asus M70
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6203|Winland

Smithereener wrote:

max wrote:

Oh, that's what you were referring to... IIRC, even with MXM-I/II/etc., there's still no real standard as notebook manufacturers sometimes use their own versions of a card or something like that. And even if you manage to get a GPU that'll maybe fit into your notebook, it's soldered onto the mainboard already, so I wouldn't quite call that user-upgradeable.

Or maybe a lot has changed since I last heard of it. Aside from the C90, I can't think of any other notebook that you can actually buy and install another GPU.
I've swapped graphics cards between my laptop and an Acer. Worked flawlessly.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Afroman.exe
Banned
+25|5701|Adelaide, Australia

james@alienware wrote:

HP Mininote

Got me 1 of thoses
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6203|Winland

Smithereener wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The point of those mini laptops is portability not upgradeability.
I know that, but in my case, portability ends at 18", as my bag is 17". I don't see the real use for a mininote, unless you're a 50kg anorexic with severe bone growth problems.

And performance is just lovely.
Hold on, upgradeable graphics on a notebook? Surely you don't mean user-upgradeable right?

At any rate, 17" notebooks aren't by any means not portable, but every pound/kg counts when you're carrying a notebook, nalgene bottle, notebooks (paper), and a few textbooks in your backpack/bag. Screen space is nice, but most people won't actually need that high of a resolution to do what they need to do IMO. I'm doing quite fine with a 1280x800 13" screen; doesn't strain my eyes at all.
17"ers aren't that heavy in comparasion with 14-15.4" ones. They're pretty much the same. I carry my 17" around every day to school, including 1-4 books, charger, tablet, mouse and about 20 papers without any strain, and I find the extra weight more than worth it over a netbook, considering the considerably better performance, and screen that allows for proper multitasking.

Afroman.exe wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

HP Mininote

Got me 1 of thoses
I have 100% full-size keyboard AND numpad. Beat that, netbooks!

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-10-07 22:05:36)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Benzin
+576|6004
How often do you really use that numpad of yours, though? And can you take your full-size notebook out and use it comfortably ANYWHERE? I can pull my netbook out, connect to the 3G network and be on the Net in under five minutes anywhere in Austria, even underground. I'd like to see you carry your full-size notebook in a single bag with all your school books and be able to take it out in a train (or a car for that matter) and use it until your stop. Then close the lid, walk to your destination and pull it out and continue where you left off (or change trains).

If you can do all that without any real hassle at all and without making yourself uncomfortable or your neighbor on the train AND use a single backpack or messenger bag to do it all AND still have school books - then I will admit defeat.
.Sup
be nice
I never use my numpad to be totally honest
max
Vela Incident

CapnNismo wrote:

How often do you really use that numpad of yours, though?
all the time. Typing numbers is so much fast
And can you take your full-size notebook out and use it comfortably ANYWHERE?
yes
I can pull my netbook out, connect to the 3G network and be on the Net in under five minutes anywhere in Austria, even underground. I'd like to see you carry your full-size notebook in a single bag with all your school books and be able to take it out in a train (or a car for that matter) and use it until your stop. Then close the lid, walk to your destination and pull it out and continue where you left off (or change trains).
so can I. Connect via bluetooth to my phone, go online. I still have space in my bag for books. These days however I leave the bag at home and just carry the laptop in my hands

If you can do all that without any real hassle at all and without making yourself uncomfortable or your neighbor on the train AND use a single backpack or messenger bag to do it all AND still have school books - then I will admit defeat.
I'm pretty much wider than my notebook anyways, so I don't really affect my neighbors. Then again I don't use trains. The only time I use public transport is when I go to university and that's 10 min by crammed tram. For everything else I drive.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.Sup
be nice
I think debating whether mini or meganote is better is pointless. Each has its own advantages.
Benzin
+576|6004
Whatever. Call it a draw.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6638

CapnNismo wrote:

Draw.

Bob's your uncle.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6203|Winland

CapnNismo wrote:

I think I'll make a thread about this when I get home. A nice debate of whether is better at what etc
max
Vela Incident

CapnNismo wrote:

fair enough
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6235|NSW, Australia

HP 8510p
Benzin
+576|6004
OP updated

Anything larger than 11" doesn't fall into the mini-category, though.
jamiet757
+138|6628

CapnNismo wrote:

So who has one?

1) CapnNismo - ASUS EEE PC 900
2) FFLink13 - Acer Aspire One
3) .Sup - Acer Aspire One
4) james@alienware - HP Mininote
5) Afroman.exe - HP Mininote
what about me? I said I have an ASUS S96S
Smithereener
+138|6322|California
If I'm not mistaken, the S96S is 15.4"?
Benzin
+576|6004
Yea, the S96S is a 15.4" laptop. Sorry. You don't get to be part of the special club.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6203|Winland

jamiet757 wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

So who has one?

1) CapnNismo - ASUS EEE PC 900
2) FFLink13 - Acer Aspire One
3) .Sup - Acer Aspire One
4) james@alienware - HP Mininote
5) Afroman.exe - HP Mininote
what about me? I said I have an ASUS S96S
Too small to join the Meganote club. Get out, commoner!

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-10-08 12:37:15)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6748|London

I also have a Vye Mini-V S37, although I'm thinking of selling it.

But it's small, so can I be in ur club? D:
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard