Defiance
+438|6669

TL;DR: Cool game, pick it up.

If you haven't seen it, it's one of the source mods that is available for download through steam. You don't even have to download the client, and it will auto-patch.

The basis is vehicular combat, with basic modes of rebranded CTF and deathmatch, though there's a few other I haven't played.

Before this starts sounding like a review (though I do want to point out a few aspects of the game I liked later), all I wanted to say is that 1) it's awesome and 2) you should try it. It's a free mod and very well done though the only online games I could get in to (servers were constantly full) were very jumpy, but it was still fun lag and all.

It brings me back to the good old days of twisted metal, I can't compare the the games because I don't remember crap about the twisted metal series but I remember it was fun, and so is this. It's far less twitch response then CS, which makes for some nice 2v2, 3v3 battles within the servers and so on, so you will not often walk around the corner and die. As well, the maps are huge. This will account for a mild performance hit. On my 4850 at max settings, I would stay around 125 FPS as opposed to CS's 175-200.

All the weapons can put a huge hurt on, though of course the practically unlimited machine gun ammo is piss weak and only really fun for humiliation kills. The minigun does some good damage though can not be aimed with the mouse. To compensate, it has a few degrees of auto aim so it can be used in similar situation as missiles. MISSILES! If only BF2 had this missile system. Your car has countermeasures so it's pretty easy to not get hit by missiles but you're not going to escape a well timed shot. There are 3 types, each with varying degrees of damage and tracking ability which are inverse to each other. I've only ever used the middle level missile, I only just realized you switch them with a right click instead of picking them up separately.

And finally, mortars. All I'm going to say (though I've said that before) is that learn when to use these and you will be top of the server every time. Especially two cars lobbing these at a choke point while your teammates rush through for the container (flag)? Shit yeah. They'll take someone down in two close hits, have good splash damage but since the cars move very fast the mortars are hard to hit a moving car with. The aiming reticle is perfect, a little crosshair appears on the ground where it will hit so it's not hard to aim them, just to compensate for speed.

Ok, whole point of the weapon spiel is that the game feels very balanced. If you need to escape, you can use turbo to get the hell out of there in a hurry. On that note, the driving physics are loose and arcade like. No where near the moonrover style of Halo though. It takes a bit of practice and even then I think this is the part that evens out the game. If you're going too fast and hit a barrier, you'll see a mortar and a rocket up your ass in no time.

So, in summary, cars, guns, big maps, good gameplay, balanced weapons, fun driving physics, really fast turbo and [i]the explosions are amazing.[/url]
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
I liked it too when I played for a few mins last night. However like all 5 of these mods there's no servers to play the game in.
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

reminds me of twisted metal
Defiance
+438|6669

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I liked it too when I played for a few mins last night. However like all 5 of these mods there's no servers to play the game in.
Probably location. There's a fair few where I live.
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6650|Spokane, Washington

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

You should have seen it before the steam update. DIPRIP was virtually dead.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
Yeah, the reason you can't find any servers is cuz they're all at full capacity, as since they can now be gotten directly over steam, everyone's trying them out and there aren't enough servers for everyone. Same thing with AoC and probably ZP and Insurgency also.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
As I told Miggle the other day, I've been wanting to try this as well as the Chivalry or whatever mod...

Slashing people = win
Defiance
+438|6669

Poseidon wrote:

As I told Miggle the other day, I've been wanting to try this as well as the Chivalry or whatever mod...

Slashing people = win
No, not under the source engine.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

Defiance wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Slashing people = win
Yes. Very much so under the source engine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17510/
Defiance
+438|6669

Poseidon wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Slashing people = win
Yes. Very much so under the source engine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17510/
Not that we weren't ever speaking subjectively or anything. Glad you enjoy it, though the first person sword fight always threw me away from Chivalry, PVK  and Oblivion. It amounts to holding down your block key until one of you has the balls to try and strike. It's slow, repetitive, and feels like a circle jerk.

If you view it differently, and you like that view, so be it and enjoy. On that note, I have no idea why people like shrimp. The texture... dear god...
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

Defiance wrote:

and feels like a circle jerk.
Perhaps it would be more fitting to replace the sword with a rugby ball.
Defiance
+438|6669

jsnipy wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Rugby balls aren't very sharp...

Apparently neither am I tonight, what's your point?
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6650|Spokane, Washington

Defiance wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Rugby balls aren't very sharp...

Apparently neither am I tonight, what's your point?
What if the rugby balls just so happened to be made of old razorblades?
Dookie0119
+43|5776
I just found something weird.
D.I.P.R.I.P was just updating, so i clicked to check the update news, however, the page was blank, and at the top it said:
Latest update - December 31st 1969
wtf?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

Dookie0119 wrote:

I just found something weird.
D.I.P.R.I.P was just updating, so i clicked to check the update news, however, the page was blank, and at the top it said:
Latest update - December 31st 1969
wtf?
Always happens when an update isnt given a specific date. It's due to something always counting up from the start of 1970 for dates, so when an update isn't given a date it's zero. Which is dec 31st 1969. I dunno why someone else can explain. A TF2 update or two had that date as well.

Just ignore it.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-10-07 09:52:34)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK
It's fun for a bit but it just doesn't keep me entertained for long. Needs more weapons!!!
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

It's a great start. The Vehicle control is shit, namely the rate acceleration.
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5980
Try mount & blade also, its like Rome Total War but you're a soldier

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard