jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I don't mind leaving a tip when I get good service somewhere (and to be fair the service in America is usually outstanding) but tipping out of some sort of obligation is, as Mr. Pink says, "for the birds".
Wow. If you consider American service at restaurants to be "usually outstanding", the bar set in Ireland must be hellaciously low.
Not really, in Ireland and the rest of the 1st world waitresses are paid minimum+ wage and tips are a bonus. A waitress in America needs the tips more than a European one as they can't afford not to have one, thus they do their absolute best to get said tip. It's just a bonus here, or a helping hand.

I've been to America and went to a steak house and everyone working there was really happy and jolly. Here they'd be aT work, and probably just be watching the clock until home time...
jord

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

jord wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Whoa. I'm a barber shop kind of guy. $12 haircut, $3 tip and I am out of there.
£5 haircut here I think, or it might be £4.50 and a 50p tip. I don't asks I just give a £5 note.

When I used to get my hair cut, now I do it myself.
Mines usually about £15 I just make it up to £20. I used to be a barber shop guy too, cost about £5 to have the mess shaved off, then I though fuck it and went over the road to the flashy hair salon and had the mess made to look nice instead, you also get it washed conditioned and a message to go with it, worth every penny, you try find a decent massage from one of the most utterly stunning girls you'll ever see in your life for less than £20, and I get my hair done too
Lmao, you might wanna book a holiday to London. You can't meet mek and go to a salon together, and maybe get a manicure...

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6624|Mhz

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

£5 haircut here I think, or it might be £4.50 and a 50p tip. I don't asks I just give a £5 note.

When I used to get my hair cut, now I do it myself.
Mines usually about £15 I just make it up to £20. I used to be a barber shop guy too, cost about £5 to have the mess shaved off, then I though fuck it and went over the road to the flashy hair salon and had the mess made to look nice instead, you also get it washed conditioned and a message to go with it, worth every penny, you try find a decent massage from one of the most utterly stunning girls you'll ever see in your life for less than £20, and I get my hair done too
Lmao, you might wanna book a holiday to London. You can't meet mek and go to a salon together, and maybe get a manicure...

If you're happy with a grade 4 all over then by all means continue, mines nothing fancy I just go for the girls
jord

jord wrote:

If you're happy with a grade 4 all over then by all means continue, mines nothing fancy I just go for the girls
A grade what? I just have a short back and sides.

As my dad says "If it doesn't hurt it isn't a haircut".
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5706|College Park, MD

jord wrote:

I've been to America and went to a steak house and everyone working there was really happy and jolly. Here they'd be aT work, and probably just be watching the clock until home time...
Yep, basically. Where I work, it's still food service but we get minimum wage. We only do the "we're so happy to serve you 5 minutes before we close when we've already cleaned everything up" thing to try and weasel out a few tips on the side from customers.

Otherwise we're looking at the clock agonizingly, eating free ice cream, and generally creating lulz. Seriously. When I see people walking to the door I start saying "please don't come in please don't come in" >_>

@jord a no-maintenance cut is the best maintenance cut

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2008-10-05 07:55:34)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Phaytal
+20|6159|Engarlandd
If they want to be tipped they best be doing something amazing, its the ones that stand there and actually wait for the tip, in that situation i give them an exceedingly high note and wait there for them to bring me or count out every single last penny that is rightfully mine.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6657|pimelteror.de
I´ve been working in a Bar and tipping is part of the game. If nobody would give tips, the Boss must pay more, if he has to pay more, all prices would go up and in the end the customer would pay the same. What you get is your basic wage and if your doing your job good, then you get more money. Restaurants and Bars do live from good Service, because the Customers want to feel like home there and not like in a McDonald. So if someone maintains a good Service and you felt well there, tip the Person.

It might be a silly rule, but those who are good at their job, have profit from it. And there are so many Situations, where you can´t choose to pay the service, because the price is already included and you do not have the choice to not pay it.

Over here, we had a 7% Standard of Tipping and that made the difference between a miserable or a good paycheck at the end of the day.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6523|Πάϊ

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I don't mind leaving a tip when I get good service somewhere (and to be fair the service in America is usually outstanding) but tipping out of some sort of obligation is, as Mr. Pink says, "for the birds".
Wow. If you consider American service at restaurants to be "usually outstanding", the bar set in Ireland must be hellaciously low.
Service in the US is perfect as far as I know. Everywhere I went I remember people really went that extra mile to keep you happy. And of course earn that tip!
ƒ³
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6542|Long Island, New York

oug wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Service in the US is perfect as far as I know. Everywhere I went I remember people really went that extra mile to keep you happy. And of course earn that tip!
You've obviously never been to Chili's!
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6340|Oregon
I always tip between 18 and 25 percent. My dad is a chef, and growing up around the restaurant industry has made me appreciate exactly what a tip is all about.

If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat.
jord

djphetal wrote:

If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat.
I'll pass on that one thanks...
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6523|Πάϊ

Poseidon wrote:

question is, do I want to?
ƒ³
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

oug wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

question is, do I want to?
The food's pretty good...but the service at mine is usually horrendous.

Applebee's gives good service though. There's just too many kids there sometimes.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Poseidon wrote:

oug wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Or Utah.

I find it hard to believe that the service in Europe would be worse than in the US. Every restaurant I've ever been to in Europe has had impeccable service. I can count on two hands the times I've had impeccable service in the US at ANY restaurant.

Maybe just the "different" factor?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5754|شمال
Am with the old guy on this...
and GTFO
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6689|United States of America

Phaytal wrote:

If they want to be tipped they best be doing something amazing, its the ones that stand there and actually wait for the tip, in that situation i give them an exceedingly high note and wait there for them to bring me or count out every single last penny that is rightfully mine.
What's amazing, take you in the back and suck your dick? (I had to, and yes, I know Mr. Blue said "special" in response to Pinks use of the word)

Still, the only way someone will get less money from serving me is if they're absolute crap by ignoring me, screwing up an order, or something of that nature. I'll still go the customary 15-20% for the type of service I expect and will certainly go higher if they are outstanding.
Reciprocity
+721|6585|the dank(super) side of Oregon
guys, don't forget your porters and parking attendants, unless they steal your change. and if your staying in a hotel/motel for more than two days, you should tip the cleaning person as well.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6784|Great Brown North
good service = tip
great service = better tip
shit service = go fuck yourself with thinking you're getting a tip
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

FEOS wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

oug wrote:

Or Utah.

I find it hard to believe that the service in Europe would be worse than in the US. Every restaurant I've ever been to in Europe has had impeccable service. I can count on two hands the times I've had impeccable service in the US at ANY restaurant.

you're going to shitty places FEOS >_>
you ever been to Clyde's? Good service there, pricey though.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Or Utah.

Pricey should have good service. Average places...I've hardly ever had what I would consider "exceptional" service.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6523|Πάϊ

FEOS wrote:

Pricey should have good service. Average places...I've hardly ever had what I would consider "exceptional" service.
Also depends on your definition of "exceptional service"...

In an every-day restaurant I'm happy when they're there when you need them, but not too intrusive, and also when they kind of have a pleasant way about them. Nothing special, just not making you feel like they're doing you a favor. Most of the times I tip simply because of that last part.
ƒ³
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Or Utah.

i mean it's not pricey as in paying over $100 for three people. but you aren't getting a dollar menu burger either... 'bout 8 bucks for a good big burger.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6635|New Hampshire, USA
I love mah tips. At Quiznos, a dollar or more tip is guarenteed to get you better service.  I personally believe we deserve tips jsut as much as any damn waitress.  All they are doing is serving you your food and taking the order.  I take the order, make the order, package the order, and give the customer the order.

On another note, I've been saving my tips for about two months now and I have about $250.  Not bad at all I do say.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

I love mah tips. At Quiznos, a dollar or more tip is guarenteed to get you better service.  I personally believe we deserve tips jsut as much as any damn waitress.  All they are doing is serving you your food and taking the order.  I take the order, make the order, package the order, and give the customer the order.
We (as in food service like what you do... I don't work at Quiznos) also get paid minimum wage despite our tips.

My guess is that tipping waiters has always been customary. Restaurants realized that their workers were making a hell of a lot of cash with min. wage AND tips, so they bitched and cried and moaned until laws were passed that let restaurants pay waiters less due to tips.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2008-10-05 18:42:29)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

We (as in food service like what you do... I don't work at Quiznos) also get paid minimum wage despite our tips.
That's precisely why. You get tips.

If you were in a job with no tips doing strenuous work as well I'd imagine you'd atleast get $8-10 an hour, if not more..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard