Sgt.Gene
+215|6756
Well, it started about 2 weeks ago.

Ill be cruising in 5th gear give it a little gas (less than half throttle) and my RPM's shoot up about 1.5-2 thousand then come back down while my foot is still on the gas.

It started doing it in all gears now. For instance im in 2nd at 3000 rpm and lets say I floor it, the rpms jump like normally, but they also do the same dip that happens at a lower rpm.

The best way I can describe it is, its kinda like in an automatic car when you give it gas and it hops out of overdrive and your rpms go up a little.

Only thing I can figure, is it must be the clutch slipping.

Anyone have and idea?
VicktorVauhn
+319|6385|Southern California
Your clutch is slipping/dead.

With out your clutch slipping, there is a straight mechanical linkage between engine and wheels and they MUST spin together (obviously with gear ratio taken into account)
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon
It does sound like a clutch problem.  Could just be down to the rivets. could be oil contamination. could be a damaged pressure plate.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6756
Well, I guess Ill replace the clutch next week and see if it stops. Im not sure if its the stock clutch, but if it is, its about time for a new one. (just hit 96,000 miles)
Reciprocity
what kind of vehicle is this?
Private_Adam
Medic since 1942
+245|6644|United States

Reciprocity wrote:

what kind of vehicle is this?
It's a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Computer_Guy
+54|6690
Most likely its the clutch, if you've been driving on the street alot. If its mostly highway miles then it shouldnt be the clutch.
BlackKoala
+215|6318
I'd be more worried about your crank walking out of your garage than a slipping clutch.

The#1Spot
+105|6532|byah
Yea it sounds like a clutch problem. My cars clutch slips when coming from a stop. Sucks only having 24mph in 1st gear.
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6114|Punta Gorda,Florida
sounds like clutch. their usally good for around 100,000 miles. make sure you replace your throw out bearing,make sure your pressure plate and fly wheel are good, if not reaplce them. if you dont it will cause the clutch to wear out sooner, cause you more problems later and you will  have to pull it all apart again to fix.  been there done that and it sucks lol. 

good site that helps you figure most car problems.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf50332.htm
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
i g
Banned
+876|5857|GA

drive american
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England

i g wrote:

drive american
lol
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5743|شمال
did some one say clutch? lol

but to know for sure, see if rpm acts normally in free gear?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
i g
Banned
+876|5857|GA

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

i g wrote:

drive american
lol
you may lol, but my jeep with 180k miles runs like new, and the only time it has ever had problems is when i wrecked it, twice
VicktorVauhn

Beduin wrote:

WTF is free gear?
You mean neutral? What would a slipping clutch do in neutral?

If the engine is flaring without a change in speed, it IS a problem with the clutch... maybe not necessarily worn, but SOMETHING is wrong with it... There are no other components of the drive train in a manual car that allow slippage.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6756

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

WTF is free gear?

If the engine is flaring without a change in speed, it IS a problem with the clutch... maybe not necessarily worn, but SOMETHING is wrong with it... There are no other components of the drive train in a manual car that allow slippage.
Well... I know it sounds weird, but it sort of speeds up. Maybe its just me, it probably doesnt speed up.

i g wrote:

drive american
Been there. Worst mistake I made lol.

But anyways, I got the car in march with 82,000 on it, now it has 95,000 all city and track miles.

Me and my dad are gonna check it out on wednesday, and probably replace the clutch.
Reciprocity
have fun. FWD cars are always extra fun.
VicktorVauhn

Sgt.Gene wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

WTF is free gear?

Well... I know it sounds weird, but it sort of speeds up. Maybe its just me, it probably doesnt speed up.

i g wrote:

drive american

But anyways, I got the car in march with 82,000 on it, now it has 95,000 all city and track miles.

Me and my dad are gonna check it out on wednesday, and probably replace the clutch.
Specially on a transverse engine if your gonna pull the transaxel, you should probably change the clutch even if its something else... Its probably not something else though Get the rear main seal and obviously the throw out bearing while your in there.

What you said doesn't sound weird, it sounds like a worn out clutch lol, putting it in neutral to check for a worn clutch does however sound weird...

Try 5th starting in 5th gear from a stand still. If it doesn't just stall straight out your definitely slipping.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2008-09-13 22:49:07)

Sgt.Gene
+215|6756

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

WTF is free gear?

i g wrote:

drive american

Specially on a transverse engine if your gonna pull the transaxel, you should probably change the clutch even if its something else... Its probably not something else though Get the rear main seal and obviously the throw out bearing while your in there.

What you said doesn't sound weird, it sounds like a worn out clutch lol, putting it in neutral to check for a worn clutch does however sound weird...

Try 5th starting in 5th gear from a stand still. If it doesn't just stall straight out your definitely slipping.
My dad took it for a spin this morning. Told me we definatley have to replace the clutch. Im ordering a new one off ebay, with the pressure plate, and flywheel.
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6114|Punta Gorda,Florida
off ebay?   your better off going to napa,auto zone,discount,   you know your getting the right stuff there. from ebay you dont know what your getting. if its not the right one your stuck trying to return it to ebay. most auto part stores give warranty's on them. auto zone shows couple diff sizes clutch for eclipse depending on year/motor type.  they also give a life time warranty on all the parts.

plus you dont have to wait to have it shipped, remember cheaper isnt always best when it comes to important parts like that.  you get what you pay for.
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5743|شمال

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

WTF is free gear?

Cheers on neutral
If nothing is wrong with the engine in "free" gear , than 100% on the clutch.
-Thats how i analyze
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Sgt.Gene
+215|6756

LOG wrote:

off ebay?   your better off going to napa,auto zone,discount,   you know your getting the right stuff there. from ebay you dont know what your getting. if its not the right one your stuck trying to return it to ebay. most auto part stores give warranty's on them. auto zone shows couple diff sizes clutch for eclipse depending on year/motor type.  they also give a life time warranty on all the parts.

plus you dont have to wait to have it shipped, remember cheaper isnt always best when it comes to important parts like that.  you get what you pay for.
good point. Im gonna check around here a bit first. there are a few performance shops that I might be able to get a good deal at.
DaRkAcE
+6|6191
Go to yoparts.com and get a performance clutch if you plan on/or already is a modified engine just throw a stage 3 clutch in there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard