Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire
Darwin latest target of DUP as creationists challenge evolution

"A senior DUP Assemblyman has pressed for creationism to be taught alongside evolution in classrooms across the North. Mervyn Storey, who chairs the Stormont education committee, said his "ideal" would be the removal of evolutionary teaching from the curriculum altogether. "This is not about removing anything from the classroom, although that would probably be the ideal for me, but this is about us having equality of access to other views as to how the world came into existence and that I think is a very, very important issue for many parents in Northern Ireland."

This is the latest in a number of interventions by Mr Storey on the issue. In June last year, the North Antrim Assembly man made a similar call during a sitting of the Assembly Education Committee, when he pressed Ms Ruane to "ensure that scientific explanations, other than Darwinian evolution, are taught in schools as scientific explanations". Despite numerous requests, the DUP has declined to comment on the matter.

Mr Storey has also weighed in to the ongoing dispute regarding the age of the Giant's Causeway, Co Antrim. Mr Storey, among others, has called for the proposed visitors' centre to display not just accepted geological data, but also the creationist argument that the distinctive rock formation is only 6,000 years old. "The problem to date has been that we only have a narrow interpretation from an evolutionary point of view as to how these particular stones were formed," he said last year."

What a fucking idiot. Although the argument of being allowed to experience numerous viewpoints when learning any subject is a sound one the idea of creationism in a science class is absurd. The creationist stance on most scientific debates is utter bullshit and belongs in a religion or creative writing class. I never actually realised that the hardline Christian Unionist groups were so backward, I knew they were backward in their attitudes towards homosexuality and stuff but I had always credited them with a certain amount of intelligence.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
reminds me of that shit that went down in Kansas which led to the creation of the faux religion "Pastafarianism".
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK
So something with scientific backing isn't scientific any more but things with zero scientific backing are? This guy and many others who try to get this stuff taught as science are plain retarded.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6674|Colorado
sickening
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6407|Earth
Ugh, why are religious people so stupid? If they want to teach their theories they should do so in church. Evolution is science, and no alternative should be taught in a science class. If they want to teach creationism, they should do so in a literature class with all the other fairy tales.
Signature
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

Evolution is portraid as being ''anti God'' by much of the fundy movment, which is simply not the case.  All it does is rule out a literal interpritation of the bible, which, if you thought was plausable you shouldnt really be allowed out during the day (or night for that matter).

This said though, I dont think the likes of Richard Dawkings aserting that you cant be an evolutionist and a theist is helping matters either.

Creationism is a knee jerk reaction to a ''problem'' that doesnt exist.

Edit:  Infact now that I think about it.  Considering it aserts that there bible isnt literal, it throws up the posibility (or probability amoung atheists) that things like the resurection where metaphorical at best, which fucks the whole thing up.  So, they pretty much cant allow any of it to be brought down (or atleast let it happily), because it opens the flood gates to everything else being torn appart.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-08-08 17:20:23)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire
The fact of the matter is that science employs a rigorous system of testing and proof and when a theory is put forward it is only ever taught as a theory, not as some sort of absolute fact. If religion wants to throw its hat into the scientific arena it must be prepared to be scrutinised in the strictest scientific terms. For example if you want to posit that the earth is 6000 years old then put forward some credible data to back the argument up. If you want to argue that intelligent design is at play by some God-like figure then find some actual credible data to back up the argument...evolution has actually went out there and found evidence to back up it's argument, all I've ever seen to back up the intelligent design theory is some horseshit examples of bananas fitting into the grooves of the human hand!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

K. Teach creationism in a theology class. Not in a science class.

Btw, who designed the intelligent designer that had to design everything else?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

I'm very glad that while the debate was raging on the States about teaching creationism in schools, Australia didn't need to have a debate and instantly said it was a ridiculous proposition.

Flecco wrote:

Artificial intelligence?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

Flecco wrote:

Humans, God/Gods only exist because of peoples belief in them. Hows that for a twist.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

Never going to happen.

It was always 1% of the populous versus another 1% of the populous who fought over religion in this country with the other 98% Innocent bia standards who just wanted to live with their neighbour in peace.. 98% of the the ppl now have the vote on such issues. Thankfully.

I deal with Mervyin regularly on planning issues, he one of my local mlas. He is rational, professional and articulate with regards to planning issues, Which is more than I can say about his nationalist counterparts.
Seriously, when a hard line nationalist client asks me who I should get to represent them in a crunch planning meeting, I get the DUP over Sinners every day. And when it comes down to a £5000 agricultural field being turned into a £200 000 site for a house for their son or daughter, all the religious shit goes out the window. They just want the best representative they can get. The shinners are so blinded by their nationalist agenda they cant see local issues and needs. The DUP. It pains me as a nationalist with family who have died for the "cause" do more of the man on the street with regards to local issues than any nationalist party.
When my sisters now husband arrived here from Dublin and had to go into training to get his youth counseling cert for the North it was Ian fuckin Paisley who forced the government into supporting him during his re=education after trying every avenue open to him.
I know the man personally, and he is a good man. This is party politics, nothing else. I'll be raising this with him next week when i see him and will report back.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Creationists are amongst the most retarded people in the world IMO. They propose the replacement of a absolutely sound, verified and working theory with unsubstantiated bullshit.

Best option would be to ignore them.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6169

Spark wrote:

Creationists are amongst the most retarded people in the world IMO. They propose the replacement of a absolutely sound, verified and working theory with unsubstantiated bullshit.

Best option would be to ignore them.
Best option would be to get rid of them.  Creationism is a disease.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Vilham wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Humans, God/Gods only exist because of peoples belief in them. Hows that for a twist.
I'm not gonna ponder that one. It will asploded my brain.

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6523|Istanbul-Turkey
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=70774

I know, creationist theory is unprovable, but that doesnt mean that evolution theory is true.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Ottomania wrote:

I know, creationist theory is unprovable, but that doesnt mean that evolution theory is true.
Well, to disprove it you'll have to do much, much, MUCH better than 'it's not true because I say don't want it to be! and from there follows my argument'.

Creationism is a disease.
The more you pay attention to them, the bigger they get. Just ignore them for the moronic irrelevance that they are.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6488|Latvia

Ottomania wrote:

creationist theory is unprovable
Isn't proof something very very important in science?
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

BALTINS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Yeh, never mind him. Besides, it's wrong to call it a theory.
~ Richard Feynman
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6523|Istanbul-Turkey

BALTINS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

creationism isnt related with science. the problem is evolutions always want an alternative to their theory, which I want to tell but cant prove creationism because its really different stuff. Everyone believes whatever they want to. I understand that challenging evolution vs creationism is meaningless, everybody should choose his/her own way.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6488|Latvia

Ottomania wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

creationism isnt related with science. the problem is evolutions always want an alternative to their theory, which I want to tell but cant prove creationism because its really different stuff. Everyone believes whatever they want to. I understand that challenging evolution vs creationism is meaningless, everybody should choose his/her own way.
Not according to Creation science.. another thing is Theistic Evolution, which is more reasonable and could be taught.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6607|Greenwood, IN
Just curious has it been discussed on these forums about the combination of both?  Like a higher being placed the seeds of life on earth and we evolved from that?  Just wondering...

Flame Suite == true

krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
so the chairperson would want to completely remove an entire scientific theory because it doesnt fit his religious beliefs if he could?

i always thought we had equal time for this stuff.... you know, in church?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Ottomania wrote:

the answer came from back in the day:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Ummm...dude.  These questions only make sense if you've already abandoned the idea that evolution is a valid theory.  The rhetoric here doesn't "collapse" the theory at all, it assumes the theory is already collapsed and it asks fallaciously logical questions to validate itself.  They don't go anywhere.

Its like me asking "Why is your mother a whore?", without establishing any facts as to whether or not your mother is actually a whore.
ƒ³
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6744|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
haha heard some fucking eejit on the radio this morning from the "truth from Genesis" project raving about how the Giants causeway https://www.geographia.com/northern-ireland/ukigia02.gif was created by the receding waters of the flood four thousand years ago.. Which I take it is part of these ravings by the DUP?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Maybe we should try and fix the protestant/catholic issue before the creationism/evolution/god theory ... I mean I know the situation has improved but let's face it, it isn't exactly brilliant. I'm cool with it being taught in a theory class, but not as fact. This is why I have an issue with an RE class. At least in my school, it is mandatory and despite the fact that I do believe in God, I don't think it should be. Yes, the Christian faith is probably higher than the Muslim faith but we sure as hell don't have any muslim teaching classes.

Don't make it mandatory. Teach it as a theory. Show people other options and tell them blatantly "this is not a fact" and I'm cool with that. But even at that, most people are stupid enough to believe pretty much anything. I speak from personal experience.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard